DIETING 2005

Suninfrance

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gay

re. treadmill:

I have been told that like any exercise, it is better to do a short amount frequently rather than one long stint on just one day, once  a week for example.

I think the general advice is that you need to do at least 25 minutes each session .

keep on running / walking

all the best

Gill

Hi Gill

I read that short 10 minute bursts of exercise throughout the day stops the body 'getting used to the exercise' and so the calories burnt are higher.

So much different info - you just have to do what you can do. I know someone who lost weight just by walking up stairs instead of taking the lift - it does not take long to do but is a good calorie burner.

I have been hitting my head against a brick wall for about 4 years. Between 8 and 12 lbs over weight and it goes up and down but never less than 8 lbs. Any diet I try works for about a couple of weeks then stops. The bigger problem is the amount of fat that is around my middle - it MUST weigh more than half a stone. Well I have managed to buy a pedomiter for 1 penny plus postage (have found out that the company doing this no longer do it but EBay do have other cheap deals on them) and was amazed to find that sitting at a PC all day even though I run around after the workers I did not even do enough steps to qualify for 'life as we know it'. I have decided to slowly get up to the 10,000 steps a day recommended. From what I have read, you do nothing with your diet - and to be honest I don't eat much but as I expend so little there is not much chance I will lose anything unless I get more exercise.

I have a knee problem so treadmills etc are not allowed, I do two short workouts on the TV in the morning and then dance around in the afternoon (one normal track on R2 equals at least 500 steps). I find doing little and often and keeping an eye on the pedo really helps me get my steps up. I am on between 5K and 6K - you have to increase in 20% increments. Living in one room it is a problem what I can actually do but walking round the table while the kettle boils etc gets through quite a lot of steps. I don't care if I lose the half a stone, I just want to stop looking like a barrage balloon and be able to wear normal clothes - being just over 5 foot means that any extra weight looks awful. I am going for steps and inches off.

First goal - 10K steps then on to 12.5K a day in a couple of months. Should be easier when I can get into the garden. Off to make tea for the workers and do the conga round the table

Gill and I have been doing this - although my pedometer is broken

You should aim for 10,000 steps a day - like Di, I am fairly sedentary so I wouldn't naturally do many steps. I try to walk on short errands, park at the space furthest away in the car park etc.

If you search on Prevention.Com there are some articles about it.

I have found that using the treadmill has improved my stamina.

Someone please get me back in the mood for dieting. Can,t do it. Had 2 really stressful weeks. My father inlaw died unexpectedly so had to go to England last week for the funeral..first time I,d been back in 3 and a half years. Have put on so much weight I,ve depressed the hell out of myself..so the more I eat. Funny, when I was young and skinny, I,d stop eating if I was unhappy or stressed but now that I,m older I eat if I,m happy and I eat if I,m unhappy. HELPPPPPP

Bought a pedometer last year in Lidl, it sat there all lonely untill I read an article about walking and loosing weight. Have discovered if I take the dog for 1 long walk and 1 short walk, a couple of mini ones for piddles etc plus with all the stairs in our house I can easily clock up between 10000 and 13000 steps per day. If I can just cut down on the eating now I should be on the right track..or rather cut out all the stupid rubbish I,m eating!

Overweight and depressed Janey

Oh dear Janey, be kind to yourself, losing relatives IS so stressful.......

Here are some links about dieting - I was sent this one, hadn't heard of this before but I am tempted to send for her slow cooker cook book
http://www.holdthetoast.com/httblog/

Next, have a good read through

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/

the FAQ are good and lead to a more extensive list of foods than in the South Beach book

I've been through that 'eat when I'm happy, eat when I'm sad' thing.....in the end I saw a picture of myself and thought 'this just can't go on' OK, I have hardly rushed over the weight loss but 1 more pound will make it sixty pounds gone - I can hardly lift that much and I was carrying it around with me

Mini targets work for me....and the thought of new clothes.....especially when spring can't be long ......

Bon Courage

Thankyou Gay, I,m sick of saying I,m going to try,but that,s what I,m going to do. I think I,m going to skip phase 1 of the SB and go to phase 2, didn,t like phase 1 the last time I tried it and that made it very hard to stick to, too many restrictions. Just been out for along walk with the dog in the vineyards and forest and clocked up 6,700 steps.

Going to re-read the book tonight. Couldn,t get throught to the first link you posted Gay but I think I,ll be ok on phase 2 of the SB.

Janey

Janey, try not to think of dieting, but instead of a healthy eating plan.  As soon as I think diet, I start obsessing about all those foods I can't eat.  Whearas if I am on a healthy plan I can eat plenty and not feel hungry or deprived.  Small treats are good.

It must be hard when you are feeling low but I hope you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

So sorry to hear of your troubles Janey.  

I know just how you feel about being flubbery....I had a run in with a full length mirror whilst NAKED!! 

Just remember next time you are tempted to put something forbidden in your mouth WE CAN SEE YOU!!!

I am the same as last week but, My Learned Friends, I haven't been exactly good so not surprised.  Still, that elusive half centimetre WILL disapear and make it three inches.

Slowly.  That is my new motto.  Not too slowly.  Obviously.  Nearly shorts time.....slinky dresses....sleeveless tops...swimwear....

Time for a top up I think

Janey this is the more extensive list of South Beach Phase 1

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23028

(you need it because in the Phase 2 section it just says everything in Phase 1 plus.....)

Phase 2

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23029

There seems to be more on these lists than in the book and they are 'approved'

I think Phase 1 is hard, but its really just to get you out of those sugar peaks and troughs, you've done it before so I'm sure you'll be fine....... Good Luck

I was flicking through SKY and just happened on a nutrition expert telling a diet hater how to tell if she was overeating. It was simple. Cup your hand lightly, what fits in your hand you can have as protein, cut off any excess and push it to the side of your plate. You can have the rest of your open hand as carbs and as much veggies and fruit as you want. No butter or lashings of oil/dressings but you could cook with a small amount of oil and eat oily fish etc. No sugar/sugary food, coffee/tea or sugar laden fizzy drinks. 8 glasses of water a day. Have a good mixed diet.

I was hooked and watched the program. It really worked, it was so easy to do. The lady concerned lost 1.5 stone in 6 weeks. It was so simple, no calorie counting, no cutting any food out except excess fat and the normal cakes and bikkies. You can of course have strong dark chocolate with most diets - but not Cadbury's creme eggs - which I am starting to dream about

Now if I could really find a way to lose the 10 lbs that has attached itself to my middle I would fly to the UK, buy a creme egg and celebrate, until then I will just have to dream of them

Heres some more handy measurements

Three ounces of meat is the size of a deck of cards.

Three ounces of grilled fish is the size of your checkbook.

One ounce of cheese is the size of four dice.

One teaspoon of peanut butter equals the tip of your thumb.

A cup of fruit is the size of a baseball.

A medium apple or orange is the size of a tennis ball.

A medium potato is the size of a computer mouse.

An average bagel is the size of a hockey puck.

To make sure you don't overeat, start with one serving at meals, eat slowly, and go back for seconds only if you are still hungry. Remember, it takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to signal your brain that it's full.

I know I'm turning into a diet bore........

PS Saw a guy on the TV showing how a group of men were being helped by Doctors from Reading hospital, had a healthy eating program mapped out for them and had access to a 'state of the art gym' - up market hotel ? No - Reading Jail

For Janey......and other calorie counters:

Calorie-burning activities for the lazy

Proper weight control cannot be attained by dieting alone; however, many people who are engaged in sedentary occupations do not realize that calories can be burned by the hundreds by engaging in strenuous activities that do not require much (or any) physical exercise.

Here's the guide to calorie-burning activities and the number of calories per hour they consume.

Beating around the bush . . . . . . . . . . . . .75

Jumping to conclusions . . . . . . . . . . . . .100

Climbing the walls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 150

Swallowing your pride. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .50

Passing the buck . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25

Pushing your luck. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 250

Making mountains out of molehills. . . . 500

Hitting the nail on the head . . . . . . . . . . .50

Bending over backwards . . . . . . . . . . . . .75

Running around in circles. . . . . . . . . . . 350

Climbing the ladder of success . . . . . . . 650

Thanks for your encouragement everyone. Feeling very positive today. Have started on the SB, will try and stick as much as I can to phase 1, if not will stick to phase 2. Am writing down everything I eat.

Just going to go and get some SLIM clothes out of the wardrobe and hang them up for trying on.

Gay I have printed off some stuff from the SB diet forum, very helpfull. Oh by the way, weight this morning 67.8 so hopefully next week there will be some improvement on that It,s extremely cold and windy out at the moment but I,m going to take the dog out and burn off some of those calories.

Janey

I have a yogurt (Total 0% fat)often with blueberries/strawberries or raspberries every day,(usually desert after my evening meal I have skimmed milk in tea and often with my cereal (All Bran usually, sad, but I like it !) I did think of having different breakfasts, today we had porridge (did it in the slow cooker overnight, I might microwave it tomorrow) and I think I may try yogurt for breakfast too for a change.....I don't think two a day could do much harm...........as long as its filling enough.

I was just reading something about 'eating' your nutrition

rather than drinking it, I wonder if the dairy limit is to discourage people from having a milkshake for lunch etc ?

I think the important thing is to adapt within reason, to encourage you to stick at it....for instance Atkins could never have been a lifetime diet for me because milk in tea was frowned upon, frankly I know I enjoy my cuppa far too much to give it up, but I do make an effort to drink more herbal teas, especially in the afternoons and evenings.

Keep up the good work