DIETING 2005

Suninfrance

I now don't drink tea until the afternoon.  I never thought I'd be able to do it, I usually don't wake up until I've had at least three, but now I just drink plain old hot water in the morning  (good for the system I'm told) - my husband thinks I'm weird !!!

Mind you he has taken to eating 5% fat yoghurt with either a teaspoon of honey or black cherry jam in it to sweeten it up.

I haven't had porridge for years - sounds nice, but I've never been successful at making it - it usually has the consistency of something that's just come out of our cement mixer.  Any tips!

Jan

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in a fit of what I can only describe as 'blondness' I threw away the Quaker Oats box and dispensed the oats into a pretty Quimper decor tin

Which would explain why I spent quite a while 'googling' 'microwave porridge', yesterday ............

In the slow cooker its a ratio of 1 -4, one cup of oats, four of water (or skimmed milk)for 7 hours. (this was a little runny and was better after 9 hours, but my slow cooker is 25 years old which may have a bearing)(serves 2)

The microwave method is 45 g (3/4 of a cup) of oats mixed with one and a half cups of water/skimmed milk. Microwave for 4 minutes for a 650W microwave and 3.5 minutes for a 800W (serves 1)

Traditional method is same quanties as for microwave, in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, leave to stand for 2 minutes then serve. You can add 'good' fruits.

As you can guess I had to buy another box ! BTW they must be proper porridge oats, not readybrek or Oats so Simple 'instant' types........and if you don't like it don't depair, birds, particularly robins love oats !

Its filling and I really did not feel the least bit hungry all morning !!

PS Your husband may like to know that on the box they recommend trying a teaspoonful of orange marmalade with it - strictly not South Beach though

Thanks Gay

Like you, I threw away my Quaker Oat box (a senior AND a blonde moment).  Visitors liked porridge for breakfast, so I brought some and they made it themselves (they insisted).

I don't think the robins would have liked my efforts at porridge (unless they are partial to concrete)

I'll mention the marmalade with yoghurt to my husband - I'm sure he'll give it a go.

Back to porridge - my mum always used to put golden syrup on it.  Yummy but defininately not dieticious.

Jan

Like Gay, I love Allbran but I really love Porridge, been having it a lot lately. All I do is boil 3 cups of water,then add 1 cup of porridge oats, stir, leave to simmer for 3 minutes and it,s done. Alexis can,t you just sprinkle Canderel on it, that,s what I do and it,s just as nice....Talking of which..I think it,s breakfast time.

Janey

Porridge recipe. American way. (Or Volume not Weight)

To each cup of oats add one cup of hot water and 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

The cup can be any size, as long as you use it to measure the water and milk with it.

Do you know Janey, I had never even thought about buying Canderel!  I don't take sugar in anything except for porridge and on pancakes so I have never used artificial sweeteners.

Anyway, I bought some yesterday and I will be having some porridge as soon as I come of this induction.  Again!

If not before....

I don't know Gay.  I am basically on induction all the time but if I fancy something...slice of toast for example, I write it down as a 'sin'!  Don't worry about it though!

I found that when I started boosting up the carbs, I wanted to eat more than I should

When I allowed for half a slice of toast every other day for example, I would be starving all the time.  I must have a very low thresh-hold!  Or is it high?

We will see how it goes.  If it doesn't will have to find another solution.

Tried my smallest size trousers on yesterday.  Just to "see".

VERY content!!

Looks like I,m the first one to weigh in today...66.7 kilos...so lost 1.2 kilos, approx 2 and half pounds. Very happy with that, can,t see it but my trousers are definately looser. Although really my weigh in day should be tomorrow as I started on a Weds

Good luck with the weigh-ins

Janey

Well done ! Bet you are thrilled.......

The 2lbs has stayed off so in total thats 61 pounds lost ( I have to keep saying it to remind myself) My daughter passed on a slim fitting jumper to me yesterday and even I could see it didn't look too bad, the lumps and bumps came from the zips, pockets etc in the jeans, not me !

Aren't you both doing well?  Congratulations!!!

Still trying not to stuff my face here.  It is an uphill struggle though.  Maintenance I am calling it.  At least I am eating less than usual.

I am beginning to think my tape measure has shrunk......

Well done Janey & Gay.

I stayed the same this week   I'm beginning to wonder if this is my "menopausal" weight as I'm finding it really hard to shift.  I am trying (at least my husband tells me I am :hehe, but obviously must try harder (sounds like an old school report).

Mind you, my trousers do feel a little looser, so maybe I've lost cm not lbs this week.

Jan

I am so fedup with the ever increasing girth and lack of 'sticking power' that I downloaded 'Fitday' a few days ago. My natural 'I WANT TO WIN' mode has crept in and I have a target of calories I can eat every day. I am finding it easy to find food that is low in cals but tastes good. Pasta and parmesan tonight - I can have what I like as long as I keep the cals under the limit for my weight. I am also ensuring that there is space for the glass of wine in the evening.

Perhaps the only way I am going to get this last lump of lard off the hips and waist is to beat myself and not beat myself up for not achieving what I want to achieve. For $20 it was a steal. Great program, so sad, being so much of a nerd that it takes something like this to get me in the mood to lose weight. I have also started exercising every day - very worrying .

Poo... crappy week, had guests stay over, lots of disappointing news and stuff that I have just been 'comfort eating', first time in almost two years. Kids off school for another week, eldest's birthday, not doing any exercise except for my pathetic attems at sit-ups. Both girls sick... I feel like a miserable old gittess...

So... the scales have not been kind. But I take full resposibility for what I put in my gob.

Back on Induction as of yesterday morning. Lets see what happens this week....

Gay, 61 pounds, that,s unbelievable, and has that all been lost on the Southbeach Diet?Did you keep your old clothes?

Alexis, have you tried the SB or does it not suit you? And Jan, funny you should mention ..menopausal weight.. I never had a problem with weight untill my hysterectomy, slowly but surely the weight started creeping on. It,s true that it,s harder to shift weight when you are in your menopause. But saying that the SB diet does seem to shift it from the places you want it to.

Janey

Hi Janey

I'm 49 in June and have been experiencing pre-menopausal symptoms for the last couple of years.  Hot flushes especially.  I can get my weight to 11st 2lb, but as soon as I eat ONE meal of pasta - whack, there it goes - weight gain.

Mood swings - tell me about it.  At leat hubby working outside on the roof, so he doesn't get the brunt of if.  Me - I'm happy sitting indoors on  the computer researching my family history while he's getting onto renovations.  Trouble is, I feel guilty about not heping him, but I am so moody at the moment.  Trying not to be, but it is SO hard.

Jan

Yep Janey, All South Beach - I have never been naturally slim and over the years had tried all sorts of diets including Atkins, they usually resulted with a few more pounds added a few months down the line.

Anyway in Autumn of 2003 I went to a meeting in Boston and even I realised I was at my largest, as the next annual meeting was to be in Bath (with me organising it)that gave me something to aim for. It was an American friend who first mentioned South Beach.

I lost weight more quickly to start with, than I lose it now, but although I stuck to it most of the time I relaxed about it for special occasions etc, in other words I wasn't a martyr to it, but I got rid of the attitude that if I 'broke' the rules I had ruined the diet and that was a big help. Also phase 2 allows a glass of wine a night which I enjoyed but now I find sticking to 1 glass worse than having none at all so I have it less often. I just don't automatically reach for the wine bottle when I start the dinner. You may have more willpower.

I am used to this way of eating and have found it sensible and well thought out, it really is more a 'way of life' rather than a 'diet'

19lbs more to go to my 'target' I'll just keep plodding away.....as others have noted post menopausal weight is more difficult, I can live with being older (no choice) but I don't want to be old AND fat!

This Christmas I threw out the larger clothes - I feel confident I that I will not need them.

Sorry about the long post

[quote]Di - whats the advantage over the free version ?[/quote]

Gay

For me, speed as I am still in dial-in. It also has more reports and it recognises foods as you type and has a favorites section, so if like me you are addicted to plain yogurt and prunes you can add this to the favs and just drag and drop to add.

Gay, I think you,ve done brilliantly. Like you I don,t want to be old and fat. I,ve been slim all my life up untill like I said I had my hysterectomy. After reading some of your posts (and others) I thought to myself no, I can do it, hard as it may be. Touch wood so far, I,m in the right frame of mind, got so many nice clothes to wear that I can,t fit into. Me I love wine, white or rose. As soon as the cooking starts, out comes the wine but this past week I,ve surprised myself. I,ve had the glass or two of red allowed on phase 2 but I,m not a red lover so half the time I,ve not even finished it.....not saying that will last forever.

Anyway, continuing with the diet, want to look good for Spring/Summer..no..determined to.

Janey

I know what you mean Alexis.  Temperature didn't get much above -4C yesterday daytime and it was -11C last night.  Struggled to fill the kettle this morning as the pipes were frozen. 

Can't wait for the warmer weather to get here, so I can enjoy salads again.

Jan