SHOOTING CLUBS

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please dont ask me to whisper. I gave up my sport, many gave up their businesses because of a knee-jerk reaction from the UK government. We held firearms legally for our sport, they were melted down for man hole covers with very little compensation to their owners and where has it got us. More guns on the streets, more gun crimes - and all we want to do is shoot at paper targets. An entire sport has been virtually wiped out because of one or two individuals who were unbalanced and in possession (some illegally) of a firearm, I WILL NOT WHISPER I WANT TO JOIN A GUN CLUB

I too fully enjoy all aspects of shooting and fully endorse the right to shoot if you so wish, but not all do, it was just a bit of friendly advice.................to be taken or not. I'm sure with the arrogance in which you replied to me you will fight your corner perfectly well without the need for any help.

Bon Chance.

[quote user="hakunamatata"]Please dont ask me to whisper. I gave up my sport, many gave up their businesses because of a knee-jerk reaction from the UK government. We held firearms legally for our sport, they were melted down for man hole covers with very little compensation to their owners and where has it got us. More guns on the streets, more gun crimes - and all we want to do is shoot at paper targets. An entire sport has been virtually wiped out because of one or two individuals who were unbalanced and in possession (some illegally) of a firearm, I WILL NOT WHISPER I WANT TO JOIN A GUN CLUB[/quote]

[:)][:)][:)]

Am I missing something ? http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/1907064/ShowPost.aspx#1907064 I know you've posted several times about your eyesight, just out of interest how does it affect your shooting ?

What about the shooters who shoot paper targets or clays????    Do clays have feelings too?

I do not agree with shooting animals or bloodsports generally, yet my OH and son have gun licences here (not chasse).    For them its as much about the mechanics of the guns as anything else rather than blasting holes in animals or birds for the "fun" of it.

I agree. I think Sharkhunter is a little confused. I don't think many here have a problem with shooting targets ( I certainly don't) but many of the more evolved members take umbrage to the notion that there are still some in the world that take pleasure in killing or hurting animals for sport.[:(]

Good luck Hakunamatata.

I would never find any pleasure in shooting animals I shoot at paper targets and always have. Regarding the eyesight thing, I have been lucky enough to have laser surgery recentely which has allowed me to be able to drive with the aid of glasses. I have my first pair of new glasses in nearly 7 years. If I can drive, I can shoot. You need to see the sights of the pistol/rifle clearly but the target should be blurred i.e. you focus on the foresight not on the target.

I dont want to fall out with you Sharkhunter (hope you dont kill sharks!) but I used to be secretary for a well respected gun club in the UK and suffered no end of abuse from people who just didnt understand the sport, so I am always ready to explode now when I sense there is someone spoiling for a "duel"

Hakunamatata, i only gave an opinion on what i have seen on here re shooting, be it sport,hunting or target shooting there are still those who feel that it's not necessary to even own a gun. I shall neither fall out out with you nor anyone else on this forum when it comes to shooting, i enjoy it, immensely, others don't...........end of, as far as i'm concerned. I do not now try to explain myself, or justify the right to shoot cos it's a waste of time, a strong belief is just that and every one's right to have one.

Dog....why wonder what pleasures are to be gained !! have a go and form a justified opinion, if you have done so then good on you for that.

Wjt  I agree. I think Sharkhunter is a little confused. I don't think many

here have a problem with shooting targets ( I certainly don't) but many

of the more evolved members take umbrage to the notion that there are

still some in the world that take pleasure in killing or hurting

animals for sport

I am not confused at all, if you read my posting i said all aspects of shooting, that my friend includes targets and clays ( no feelings involved Framboise [:)] ) As for being evolved !!! well lets leave you with that thought when you next have a nice piece of venison or wild boar [;-)] assuming you are not vegetarian. As an aside, although classed as a sport i hunt for the table, am i excused ( slightly ) [:P]

I am not trying to explain my involvement in the sport of shooting/hunting, see above, just replying to a post which is a courtesy [Www]

Oops, gotta go my venison is ready......yabbadabbadoo

I do not understand this idea that you do something just because you enjoy it - to the detriment of the rest of society.

If you like guns why not stick to cap guns or BB guns - probably more fun and less people and animals get hurt. If you want to prove you are a good aim try darts or sticking the tail on the donkey.

Catching sharks isn't clever or difficult - why do you find the need to do such things? Have you ever concidered how it must be to be on the other end of one of your onesided mismatches you probably believe to be a sport?

I don't understand why some people collect stamps, others train numbers, some collect beer mats or bottle tops and others play GOLF - a far worse crime in my opinion.   Just because someone admires the workmanship that goes into making guns and enjoys using them PROPERLY, that does not make them the devil incarnate surely?

Knives are worse than guns - proven fact - with  most knife crime committed with ordinary household kitchen knives instead of a Crocodile Dundee style thing.   Are kitchen knives banned?  No.  Likewise, MORE people have died due to CARS and motor vehicles since they came along than died in both WW1 and WW2 combined.  So ban cars??  Perish the thought.

And on the subject of "doing something to the detriment to the rest of society", what about the japanese who are still carrying on whale hunting because they say they are "doing it for scientific purposes...." rather than the fact they still want to eat banned whale products?     THAT is wrong, unquestionably.

Therefore if someone wants to spend the afternoon shooting holes in bits of paper  or clay discs then that is THEIR choice, likewise if they want to sit on the end of a station platform writing down train numbers its their choice, and if they want to wear lurid jumpers & silly trousers as they trash their way through the undergrowth at the golf course - that too is THEIR choice.    Is that not what democracy is all about or have I missed something?

Oh and you can still get injured with bb guns - they are on the way to being banned - and you try to buy a cap gun nowadays.  Impossible.

Those who have so much to say about guns how horrible they are and how they would do away with all of them are only able to say so because they are protected by many people in uniform trained to use them . They need to remember there are many in the world happy to use them to come and change their lives for them .

[quote user="Framboise"]I don't understand why some people collect stamps, others train numbers, some collect beer mats or bottle tops and others play GOLF - a far worse crime in my opinion.   Just because someone admires the workmanship that goes into making guns and enjoys using them PROPERLY, that does not make them the devil incarnate surely?

Knives are worse than guns - proven fact - with  most knife crime committed with ordinary household kitchen knives instead of a Crocodile Dundee style thing.   Are kitchen knives banned?  No.  Likewise, MORE people have died due to CARS and motor vehicles since they came along than died in both WW1 and WW2 combined.  So ban cars??  Perish the thought.

And on the subject of "doing something to the detriment to the rest of society", what about the japanese who are still carrying on whale hunting because they say they are "doing it for scientific purposes...." rather than the fact they still want to eat banned whale products?     THAT is wrong, unquestionably.

Therefore if someone wants to spend the afternoon shooting holes in bits of paper  or clay discs then that is THEIR choice, likewise if they want to sit on the end of a station platform writing down train numbers its their choice, and if they want to wear lurid jumpers & silly trousers as they trash their way through the undergrowth at the golf course - that too is THEIR choice.    Is that not what democracy is all about or have I missed something?

Oh and you can still get injured with bb guns - they are on the way to being banned - and you try to buy a cap gun nowadays.  Impossible.

[/quote]

I do know why people collect stamps, bottle tops, train numbers and instruments of death and destruction and it is not because they are sane ordinary people. Do not get swallowed into the idea that knives make guns any better and remember nothing makes golf even slightly OK.

Just because the Japanese behave extremely badly is not an excuse for you to behave worse.

Democracy if you hadn't noticed is to be able to change wrong not perpetuate it.

Most people die because they stop breathing should we ban breathing?

It is amazing the need to justify weapons.

So shooting paper targets and clay discs is akin to harpooning an innocent whale, butchering it cruelly and feeding it to a collection of sushi-munchers in the name of scientific research IS alright then?  

Poppycock!   How can you make such a comparison between the two?

The definition of a "weapon" is nothing to do with guns  specifically - indeed a weapon can be a knife, a table leg, a brick, a bottle, granny's vase, a shovel, a baseball bat, or a car driven by some drunken idiot. Indeed a three year old in uk a few weeks ago won hundreds of thousands in compo because another child whacked him on the head with a "weapon", ie a toy they were arguing over!!!  People die from all of these, oh and just ceasing to breathe of course.

Democracy?    Thats where you elect your choice of a prime minister yes?   What happenned in uk then?

In answer to your question K - there are shooting clubs all over France so there will be one relatively close to you.   Much as you don't like it Dog, shooting happens to be very popular here.  

[quote user="Framboise"]
Democracy?    Thats where you elect your choice of a prime minister yes?   What happenned in uk then?

[/quote]This thread is way off topic already but sorry to make it even more so.

No, Framboise.  In the UK you elect an MP who represents a party which elects its own leader by a democratic vote amongst its members.  If you want a seperate vote for your leader then you have to become a French citizen and vote here in France or maybe move to the US.  Or join  the political party of your choice in the UK.

I'm out too before lockdown arrives.    I am becoming a French citizen by the way, that way my vote might actually count towards something  I believe in, (if thats how it really works).

Perhaps dog knits - that has to be a harmless occupation surely?   Or maybe that is cruel to wool, you know, attacking it with needles and making it do things it was not meant for  [Www]