Should we have to contribute to pay for the new sewer?

Last night we went to a public meeting for our tiny village to have the details of our connection to the mains drains explained. We had been told our contribution towards the considerable cost to the commune is 1500 euros per household plus whatever it costs us to connect up from our individual fosse septique.

1000 is to be paid by the end of the year, the 500 payable when we make our own connection to the new sewer - compulsory within 2 years.

Now, actually, we had been expecting this and are resigned to pay although our fosse conforms and is fine. And our water bills will double because of sewage treatment.

BUT our neighbours are up in arms - mostly elderly and I guess low incomes.

Now today someone (ok village know-all) told me that the commune should be getting the full cost from the EU so why are we being asked for a contribution? I have no idea if this is true or not. What do you think.

And at this meeting, to "discuss" the matter we met the main contractor who said "work starts next Wednesday". Don't you just love it!!!

An interesting topic to follow.

Being some 3.5km, from the village plus one of only 5 houses the vicinity, I reckon the chances of mains drainage ever reaching the main road, let 2-300m up a dead end lane (owned by  the commune) are about on a par with the Pope converting to Islam !

We were connected about 15 or so years ago - one of the first villages to have mains sewerage. I recall having to pay a considerable sum as a contribution to the scheme as well as FF400 for each of two connections.

We were also required to lay our own underground pipes to the connection at the property boundary - we were given a year for it to be done.

I must admit that I'd be less than ecstatic at being presented with a fait accompli like that.  However ................

We're on a fosse septique and have just been SPANC'd (for anybody who doesn't know, its the obligatory conformity check).  We (as were all our neighbours) were 'non-conforme' for a couple of technical reasons - there are no operational problems and no further inspection for ten years. The difficulty comes if & when the need to sell arises - not planned at the moment, but who knows what the future might bring?

Frankly, if we could connect up now for a couple of €k, we'd bite their hand off (it sounds like a good deal), even with an increased water / sewerage charge.  Better than €xxk cost of conformity in order to sell at some much later date.

It doesn't sound as though you've got any choice, but it also sounds like sense.  As for the EU thing, no idea - but it also sounds like wishful thinking!

[quote user="confused of chalus"]

Now, actually, we had been expecting this and are resigned to pay although our fosse conforms and is fine. And our water bills will double because of sewage treatment. [/quote] and

Many years ago,when we rented an English-owned Gite for 3 months, there was a Spanc inspection whilst we were there. As the Gite had been recently completely renovated from an ancient longère there was no problem with the fosse conforming as it was brand spanking new. The problem came with the other 5 properties in the hamlet where all the other sanitary arrangements were complete no nos. There was uproar when these property owners learnt later that they had to become connected to the mains sewage, at some cost to themselves.

The problem being, from the authorities point of view, that these other properties' arrangments were thoroughly unhygenic and polluting but, of course, they had been like that since they were first built, so the owners saw no problem. Mayhem ensued with flat refusals from some owners.

AFAIAA there were grants or payments available to those in monetary difficulties in the early days of mains connection but such money is now very limited and most people can expect little or no help. There were/are just too many unconforming 'fosses'.

Sue

Our village has had a new sewer system, a new heating system and new lighting, all installed over the last 3-5 years, all paid for through an increase in our local taxes.

We live 3km away from the village centre, with no chance of being connected to either the sewer or the heating, and the only benefit we've received is a couple of piddly street-lights on the road to the hamlet.

Did we have to pay? Yes.

Turn this on its head: why should general taxpayers have to pay for the benefit of a few? I think that you should have some time to pay and there should be help for those who need it, but in the form of repayable grants. Too easy to just hand out public money to benefit a few!!

Wasn't there an EU Directive about main sewerage and that it had to be installed - and France being France has dragged its heels.

Surely, paying for it is down to the householder - if it comes out of EU funds then it will mean that those countries that have had mains sewerage will be helping to pay for those that never bothered.

Ok, I understand that some people think we are tryng to get out of paying. I was just asking the question - if the eu are paying for the work it begs the question where are our contributions going? If the eu are only paying for part of the work, then I understand we should find the rest.

There is no opt out. It is compulsory, as is the payment.

It is also fairly random. The line crosses our neighbours land including his two little gites, which he only lets a few weeks a year but excluding his home so he's being charged for two properties but won't get the benefits in his own home, 70 metres away!,

Enough of my ramblings,. The work starts next week. We'll pay the bill, and hope to be be able to afford the connection charges and decommissioning of our fosse within the two year limit.

You are right, we don't want other people to pay for us to get the benefit of being able to use domestos in the toilet again, and of course I do understand it makes the house more saleable if we should ever a) finish the barn conversion, or b)) go back to the uk. Both of which look fairly unlikely at the moment!

Thanks for your comments, as always , and sorry if I got some people's backs up.

[quote user="confused of chalus"]sorry if I got some people's backs up.[/quote]

Well I've just read all of this & I don't think that you got anywhere near that !

Reasonable question & a variety of answers.  You can pick the bones out of them.

I hope my back did not seem up C of C. As most of you know, I am a bluff old duffer, prone to say what I think . That is a result of too many years up the Limpopo trying to get the Umbalas to understand White Man's ways. Rubs off you know. But, ah, the native women.............

I spoke to the Mayor of our tiny village a couple of years ago about the right to have had main drains by the year 2005. He said "everybody has the right to mains, but we can't afford it". So maybe that explains your situation Cof C. Different communities different attitude, and as I believe that Mayors are legally obliged to follow regulations, I'm sure that ours wouldn't put his neck on the line to save me and my neighbours money, and money that most of them don't have.

I am on our local council and have seen through from beginning to end the installation of the new sewer system during the past 5 years. There was no EU money. Certain French Government grants were available, but we had to apply for them. We took out a 30 year loan for the balance which has to be paid back. Only the 80 houses in the village have to connect (500 for the right to connect, plus the work necessary to connect from the house etc). There is a standing charge of 80 per year, plus the increased water charges for those connected. I did ask what would happen if people reduced their water consumption as the cost increases (we have halved ours!). The answer was we will just increase the cubic meter cost, which we are doing year on year as people do reduce. So only the people who use the facility actually pay for it. Enforcing the SPANC for lower income is through a water board funded 60% grant. All council meetings are "open" and the minutes are available at the Mayors Office, so the locals can find out what is happening or planning to happen in their village.

[quote user="woolybanana"]I hope my back did not seem up C of C. As most of you know, I am a bluff old duffer, prone to say what I think . That is a result of too many years up the Limpopo trying to get the Umbalas to understand White Man's ways. Rubs off you know. But, ah, the native women.............[/quote]

You know my views on that!  Digusted of Tunbridge Wells