Olympics 2012

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Rabbie"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]. It would hardly be expected that ( say ) the BBC would be less than enthusiastic ( ie Nationalistic ) in the support of it's national team of athletes.[/quote]The BBC has historically always prided itself with giving accurate unbiased accounts of the events it is reporting. That is why it has been trusted across the world. IMO it does not diminsh a british performance to give credit to a good or excellent performance from somebody from another country. By and large the experts on BBC have done this. Excessive nationalistic commentary merely dinishes the reputation of the BBC.

Yes, I am delighted by a british win but I also enjoy seeing excellent performances from other nationalities.

[/quote] Once upon a time, long ago, the BBC 'may' have been unbiased, sadly those times are long gone. It is not referred to as the ''Biased Broadcasting Corporation'' ( by a large number of the British population ) without reason. It is difficult to think of anything that can diminish it's reputation any further.[/quote]What I don't know, is whether the British commentary is broadcast elsewhere in the world - say in places where English is spoken and they cannot afford a full team of commentators of their own.  What must they think?  Ian Stark made a comment during the show jumping phase of the 3DE when he made a remark in favour of a British competitor then followed it up by saying something along the lines of: "I'm sorry, I can't believe I said that."  I thought it showed a thoughtfulness for the non-Brits who might possibly have been watching which was not evident today. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Astonishing! In all my travels I have never heard of the BBC being referred to as the ''Biased Broadcasting Corporation''.

The BBC should most definitely be biased towards the UK and specifically it's athletes!! In fact I find it extremely refreshing and liberating when BBC sports commentators show unbridled support and passion for home competitors.

In fact, lack of bias over many years can quite clearly be blamed when it comes to the apathetic attitude of most UK residents when it comes to nationalism and loss of identity.

The BBC coverage of the Olympics has been nothing short of stunning - as have the Olympics themselves. The press and general media must be desperately disappointed and are still scratching around for any negative stories they can get their grubby little hands on! Shame on them.

As an aside - I sincerely hope all the lame tube and bus drivers in London are asked to repay their completely unwarranted bonuses - negotiated via blackmail. Apparently central London has been deserted - wonderful.

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]nationalism and loss of identity. [/quote]Yup.  You lost me right there.

I only have one identity and that's my own.  The rest is just chance.  I never met anybody whom I admired or respected because of what they got by accident of birth.  What they've strived for and worked for is a different matter altogether.

Which brings me full circle.  I dislike the olympics as I dislike anything else which provokes people and even actively encourages them into judging others by such abitrary charactaristics as where they were born.  It turns my stomach.  Sorry (well no, I'm not at all sorry, if I'm honest.)  I enjoy watching some of the sports because they entertain me and I cannot believe the prowess of some of the participants, nor the determianation of all of them in doing what they do.  I certainly don't watch them to see "my country" (or rather a miniscule proportion of the population of the country in which I was born and no longer live) win.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]nationalism and loss of identity. [/quote]Yup.  You lost me right there.

I only have one identity and that's my own.  The rest is just chance.  I never met anybody whom I admired or respected because of what they got by accident of birth.  What they've strived for and worked for is a different matter altogether.

Which brings me full circle.  I dislike the olympics as I dislike anything else which provokes people and even actively encourages them into judging others by such abitrary charactaristics as where they were born.  It turns my stomach.  Sorry (well no, I'm not at all sorry, if I'm honest.)  I enjoy watching some of the sports because they entertain me and I cannot believe the prowess of some of the participants, nor the determianation of all of them in doing what they do.  I certainly don't watch them to see "my country" (or rather a miniscule proportion of the population of the country in which I was born and no longer live) win.

[/quote]

You weren't invited to the Royal Wedding then?

I turned down the invitation due to a prior engagement [:P]

[/quote]

Come on Coops, your are winding us up.

I am sure you realise that Chiefluvvie means ''loss off National identity'', or loss of pride in ones Country, it's history and achievements. As the French have great pride in France.

There is a tendency for ( some ) British people to denigrate the historical achievements of Britain, to 'run it down' and to be apologetic about everything to do with Britain.

Golly, Steve!  Can't say that the historic achievements of Britain ( exploiting almost every other country in the world for greed and gain springs to mind) have ever lit my fire either.  Sir Isaac Newton - yes, I admire him and his ilk because of what they did.  Because I share a birth country with them?  Certainly not. Does being born British make me as great a thinker as Newton?  I don't think so!  Does the fact that all Austrians were born in the same country as Hitler make them reprehensible?  No, of course it doesn't.

But as Norman says, a long way from the Olympics.  Sadly though,sporting events like the olympics do tend to provoke all kinds of bigoted nonsense.  A shame for those who put so much effort into taking part.

(Post edited to avoid misinterpretation.)

Coops you need to re-read my post - I was talking about what you've written and your views. I genuinely find them very sad and upsetting and simply cannot understand or agree with the 'links' you have made.

No need to internalise things and take things so personally .....we're talking about the 2012 Olympics here!!!

Chiefluvvie

I think you should re-read what I said.  HSD - I am sorry if anybody who had contributed to this discussion thought I was making any kind of personal remark (I wasn't), so I've re-worded the post.

I think that the olympics and sports in general which pit nation against nation (world cup footie, rugger, etc etc) provoke bigotry and encourage people to think of "their" country as somehow superior because they won some sporting event or other or have more medals.  That's why I detest them so and rarely watch.  The reason I contributed to this thread in the first place - which I guess I shouldn't have done as I certainly don't want to depress anybody  - was because I found the crowd's reaction this afternoon so unpleasant and certainly unsportsmanlike.  If it makes other people feel better about themselves then great, but it makes me feel worse about the human race in general that it comes down to this. Still, better than fighting, I guess.

[quote user="cooperlola"] Still, better than fighting, I guess.[/quote]

It is most definately better, I would rather bring nations together via a sporting occasion than fighting a war!

I do think you are confusing passion with bigotry though, when I hear the crowds cheer I only hear passion and pride.

I suppose we will never agree on this point, but that's a personal opinion you are allowed.

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Coops - I can't respond to your previous posts because I find them so utterly sad and bereft of some basic human instincts and feelings - in fact I find them quite depressing.

powerdesal - you got it!

Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Just as your attitude is bereft of logic and argument, but that is not 'sad' it is laughable [:)]

[/quote]

Coops. surely the sport you support, Motor Racing is supported by the 'accident' of having a rich sponsor, or is that OK ?

Its time the UK stopped being 'good losers' and started praising success, when it comes.

What is wrong with showing pleasure in the team you support, doing well ?

[quote user="cooperlola"] I think that the olympics and sports in general which pit nation against nation (world cup footie, rugger, etc etc) provoke bigotry and encourage people to think of "their" country as somehow superior because they won some sporting event or other or have more medals.  That's why I detest them so and rarely watch. [/quote]

I expressed similar thoughts on another thread a few days ago...

[quote user="Clair"]I'm on the fence about the games/sports/competition per se.

I've

always felt rather uncomfortable about crowing about someone else's

prowess as if it were mine. Just because someone has a particular flag

on his or her back doesn't mean their own achievement is mine to claim.

As far as I am concerned, whatever sporting success is achieved by a

team or an individual belongs to them and them only.

For that reason,

I have always intensely disliked the medal count in any sort of

international competition and the glee which inevitably accompanies it.

The

idea that "this country" is better than "that country" because "this

athlete" ran faster than "that athlete" just does not compute.

[...]

I'm talking about the borderline jingoism this kind of international

competition engenders in its audience. To me, the Games are not so much

about sporting achievements, they're about flag-waving and chauvinism.

[/quote]

Nothing I have read about over the last few days has made me change my mind.

This is starting to sound a bit like the thinking on school sports days where there can no longer be winners or losers!

I'm glad that the UK is doing so well. I'm glad that the athletes, the audiences and the commentators are enthusiastic and I'm glad that the UK is putting on such a good Olympics.

I've already made the point about funding for Team GB - but I haven't seen anyone try to take credit for other peoples achievements, we are happy for them, yes, and proud of them too, and in a lot of cases in awe of them, but why shouldn't any one be proud of the team they support, for whatever reason ?

Goodness, in lots of cases our support didn't waver when they weren't doing so well, and I really don't think it could be said that the BBC don't recognise excellence when they see it, maybe if you are not in the Uk you get a different commentary......try to tune into Clare Balding, Gabby Logan, Sue Barker, and John Inverdale.

I caught a comment on BBC News this morning, about the medal count, something about Great Britain being in third place being China and the US (I think...?) and in that moment it was clear that the Games are a medal competition. Forget the sports!

[quote user="Russethouse"]... I really don't think it could be said that the BBC don't recognise excellence when they see it, maybe if you are not in the Uk you get a different commentary......try to tune into Clare Balding, Gabby Logan, Sue Barker, and John Inverdale.[/quote]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9447297/London-2012-BBC-Olympic-interviews-too-negative-viewers-say.html

PS: Mr Clair watches the BBC. Me, I'm just trying to avoid the Games, whatever the language!

[quote user="Clair"]I caught a comment on BBC News this morning, about the medal count, something about Great Britain being in third place being China and the US (I think...?) and in that moment it was clear that the Games are a medal competition. Forget the sports!

[/quote]

Of course it is a medal competition. The medals are awarded for winning the competition. It's a measure of success in the various sports. Exactly how is that wrong ?