Rugby World Cup 2015

Gardian

Here we go then - six weeks of wall-to-wall rugby. As with any competition, there'll be a few superb matches and a few absolute shockers.

For what its worth, my thoughts on the chances of the major teams:

Ireland - not the team they were a season ago. Might struggle.

Wales - badly hit by injuries in key positions. May not make the QF's.

Scotland - improving, but not enough.

France - somehow they always seem to do better in the RWC than their form suggests. Dark horse.

Italy - always capable of springing the odd surprise, but simply not good enough.

Australia - usually do well. A big danger.

New Zealand - justifiably strong favourites, but often seem to have peaked too soon.

South Africa - very hard to beat, with determination in spades.

Argentina - not quite enough all-round strength

and ..........

England - a good squad in as good a state as one would hope. Will our kicking let us down? Must win our group or we'll be almost certainly up against RSA in the QF's.

My likely winners? South Africa

Possible surprises? France

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've just got back from aperos with French friends, who tried to convince us that the English team was playing France this evening. I knew it began with 'F' but couldn't remember exactly which country, while they were absolutely certain it was France. On the way home, I remembered it was Fiji. I never thought I would know something about rugby better than French friends!

Hope anyone who's keen enjoys the match - we don't have TV in France.

Didn't that 'f' team do well!! Got England quite worried at one time, but the reds rallied and eventually got their bonus points 4th try.

They are going to have to pull their shorts up and do a hell of a lot better if they really have the desire to get very far n the comp though.

33 --  11 eventually!

The Fijians are by no means poor players in World class terms - many of their side play in the top level in French club sides. They've transitioned from being one of the best 7's sides in the World, to being one of the better '2nd level' 15's sides.

We'll take the win & the 5 points, but beating Wales next weekend is crucial. It wasn't great tonight, but good enough.

NZ vs Arg on Sunday. Now that's a match that could go close!

In the pool matches all that really matters is the win and bonus point so an excellent result for England.

I agreed with Sir Clive Woodward that the referee should not have gone to the TMO after awarding the disallowed Fifi try. IMO he should not have allowed the try but referred it before making a decision. I feel sorry for Uruguay in that group as they will just be sacrificial lambs.

Still it is was an enjoyable first match so let's hope we see some more rugby like it over the next weeks

[quote user="DerekJ"]I never thought I'd be shouting (well, screaming actually) for Japan.  Brilliant stuff.

[/quote]

2s up on that Derek!! I have never been a fan of the SA team and their attitude of ' a walk over' spat back at them. The Japanese blokes were so quick and determined and if there are any better games in this lot then we don't want to miss them!!

[quote user="AnOther"]Sooner it's over the better IMO, ditto world cup anything, cricket, golf, tennis, tiddlywinks, etc. etc. etc.

Opium for the masses.[:P]

[/quote]

Still;only another 5 weeks of wonderful sport for the masses who enjoy life. Talking of opium don't you need to take that to buy; and attempt to restore old cars that nobody else wants or wanted? I remember when they used to say you had more chance of being cured of Herpes than selling an MG.  [:D][:D]

Eight matches & a great weekend!

RSA were awful (so much for my prediction!) - more than a few players unfit from injury and/or past their sell by.

Japan were fantastic, but can they sustain it? However, best match by far as has been said.

Ireland, France & Wales were all OK vs weak opposition. Hard to judge any of them objectively.

NZ vs Argentina - the All BLacks were just so efficient, particularly in the final quarter. Hard to love them though, eh? Argentina will scare all the other teams.

England? Despite the moaning Press, I'd rather be where we are, than where the South Africans are. Its not perfect, but it certainly isn't awful and seemingly no injuries.

Two days off now to get a few things done!

Just baled out from watching France - they're making heavy weather of it, but Romania are a league or two below.

Australia looked quite good vs an underrated Fiji side - two good games by the latter and they end up with nothing!

Scotland are going to think they're going to win it after today.

Is it me, or is the rolling maul the only way to score a try in this tournament? OK, maybe not all the scores, but its the 'in-thing'.