Rugby World Cup 2015

Gardian

[quote user="mint"]Exciting, good game between Wales and SA.  Shame Wales didn't win but as the "very astute" commentator noted, someone's going to win and someone's going to go home (I think that was accurate).............who picks and pays these commentators??? 

[/quote]

Wales should have won; against what I thought was the worst South African team I've ever seen. Their decision making was appalling. Wales blew their chance by parking the bus to use a football term, and aimlessly kicking the ball away in the second half.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Gardian"]The All Blacks were superb - Carter, strangely underrated in the NH, was pure class. [/quote]

Well I watched him a few years ago when he played for USAP. He had obviously been told not to get hurt because he played terribly as did Percy Montgomery when he came to play there.

Three out of four forecasts correct. Not bad. A very good performance by Argentina. Should be an interesting semi between them and Australia.

I was very proud of the Scottish performance but just not quite enough. Still a big improvement on the 6 Nations performance.

Rabbie ............

Proud of the Scottish performance? You should have been ecstatic ! In truth, you probably were.

So close & that's what makes it all the more frustrating. Laidlaw was right to be grumpy about the refereeing at the end of the match.

As for Argentina ....... worthy winners against a lack lustre Irish side. Nothing lucky about that.

Can the Aussies be as bad again? You somehow doubt it, don't you?

[quote user="mint"] 

Rabbie, THEY WAS ROBBED!!!

[/quote]

No they weren't, they benefited from quite a few dodgy decisions in the scrums, I didn't hear Laidlaw complaining about that. Anyway it's not entirely conclusive that an Australian hand touched the ball. Australia --New Zealand final, NZ to win

My thoughts on the subject after the dust has died down.

Scotland put up a great performance but the margin would have wider had Foley not missed so many kicks.

I do not blame the referee for giving a penalty. He could only act on what he saw in real time. He did not have the option to go to the TMO however rediculous that rule may be in the circumstance.

However I do agree with Matt Dawson that he should not have rushed off the field at the end but should have stayed to shake hands with the players afterwqards as is the usual way. I can just imagine the fuss that would have been made if any player had refused to shake hands with him.

Furthermore I do not think it was helpful of World Rugby to publicly criticise the penalty decision. The referee made his decision and we have to live with it

Hopefully NZ to win. We go off on our annual visit to daughter living in NZ the day after the final. As we only see her for a few weeks each year I'm really excited, as you can imagine. It really is a wonderful country! The people are so so friendly...

[quote user="NickP"]The Irish players behaviour if seen by the officials would have been an instant red card. Also it's not before time that thuggery is being dealt with, and this is technology at it's best. The message now must go out to all players that foul play will not be tolerated, especially to youngsters. I have a special interest in this as I have a very young Grandson who is looking like a very good prospect, good enough that a professional club are already watching him, and I would like him to play the game in the correct manner, not like a thug. It's hard enough to convince parents and particularly mothers that little Johnny should play rugby these days, without this element being shown on TV. So the sooner players realise this the better the game will be

[/quote]

I have watched some fantastic rugby during this world cup, Canada, Japan and Argentina spring to mind.... I do enjoy the game when it is played well.

However, I also went to watch no 2 son play last Sunday afternoon. It's been a while since I have sat in a tribune and watched a "proper" match. What, with the female supporters of opposite sides screaming connass at each other every time there was I high tackle (every couple of minutes), the ripe smell of the fosse septique behind the stand and the €8 entrance fee to watch my son get stamped on and beaten up... delightful.

They all sat around afterwards moaning about why they had lost (corrupt referee is always top of the list).  I ventured to point out that when they are asked to hit the opposition hard by the coaches, that it is not a literal comment. Punching the opposition in the throat is not the objective of the game. They had 8 minutes of the match with 15 players, the rest was a constant flow into the sin-bin. Consequently, they got stuffed by the other team who had 15 on the pitch for the complete match. (and a fly half who could pass and a 15 who could kick). Unfortunately at this level, the players know they can get away with thuggery. The linesmen are just there to wave a flag and are no help to the ref and there is no TMO. So, the kids don't learn and up it goes into the senior teams. Kicking the sh!te out of the opposition is what counts.

No1 son is now coaching a team of U10's and he is constantly frustrated by the thick kids he has to try and mould into a team that think that they are there for a fight and the game is incidental (plus he is at a disadvantage being English as he can't possibly know anything about rugby...so say the parents. I swear, even though his holiness Wilkinson is a saint in France, if he turned up in our neck of the words they would still be sniffy towards the foreigner trying to teach us our game). This is from grass roots up ! They need to wake up and smell the whatever, don't blame the officials every time they lose, and learn how to play with skill and finesse. You now have southern hemisphere teams where the forwards can handle and run the ball as well as the backs,. The French need to wake up and learn from this world cup and they won't win anything until they get back to basics and concentrate on fitness and technique...and that needs to start from the 5 year olds

Lovely post HSD !

I was talking yesterday to our elder son, who still plays rugby at a good level despite approaching his 40th birthday!

He took my point about the fundamental quality of SH vs NH players, but feels that the real problem has been decision-making.

So, as examples, the lineouts in the dying minutes of both England's and Scotland's matches were crucial. In the case of the Scottish match, throwing long when they had cut the lineout, was suicidal. Throw to one of the Grays in the middle, secure the ball, maul it for a few metres and half a minute or so, then kick it off the field.

So, NZ still on course for the cup.  NickP, are you down at the bookies and could you let me have some of the dosh should our predictions prove correct?[:D]

What a drop kick that was from Carter!

I think the Argentinians deserve something from all their efforts but then not everyone get their dues.

Still not started cooking lunch but all will be prepared and eaten in good time before kick-off.

That was a much better game today than yesterday's.

Much as we would have liked the Argentinians to have turned the Aussies over, the result was never in doubt. In truth, it would have been a travesty if the Argies had knicked it ! Good entertainment though & a complete contrast to yesterday, which was .......... dire.

Yesterday was like most ball game semis - grim. NZ the better team of course, though RSA could easily have pinched it. Again, it would have been a travesty.

Wonder what the bookies' odds for the Final? 4-6 NZ? 11-10 Aus? I fancy Aus - equal attack, better defence + Pocock (star man of the Competition).

It'll be sad when its all over, but at least we won't have to hear that Paloma Faith woman.

Gardian, I couldn't agree more about that bloody woman, I'd cheerfully gag her with her own pair of tights[6]  No more the world and you ne-ee-ee-ee-un[:'(]

Another dodgy call from the ref, I see.

Whoever wins, I hope there isn't going to be some disputatious call that leaves everyone asking what if[:@]

I think that we'd all agree that it was a good game this evening.

After a tentative first 20 mins, it opened out. NZ worthy winners, although the final score flattered them a bit - down to the Aussies having to play catch-up. None of the NH countries would have got close against either of the finalists.

Standout players in the Tournament? IMO, Pocock (Aus), Carter (NZ), Sanchez (Arg), McCaw of course (NZ), the Japanese captain whose name escapes me, + an honourable mention for Laidlaw (Sc).

Well organised (seemingly) + well ref'd, even if that was a more than dodgy forward pass by NZ in the 1st half. Loved it.

A really good match but I disagree that the score flattered NZ. Australia could only compete successfully when NZ had a man in the bin. 

Players of the tournament? I agree with your choices but woud add Biggar(wales) and Alyn Wynn Jones(wales).

To be fare both Scotland and Wales were not beaten by much by Australia.

Don't forget THIS man.............

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3298433/The-ecstatic-smile-little-boy-hero-New-Zealand-rugby-star-Sonny-Bill-Williams-makes-little-boy-s-day-gives-world-cup-medal.html[/url]

Edit:  ugh, apologies, haven't managed to make it live but I'll have another go later

Edit 2:  nomoss, I am a dunce!  After you have explained to me how to do live links, I have now forgotten, although I wrote down your instructions at the time and could successfully do it  Would you be so kind as to explain it once more and I promise not to ask again?

Edit 3:  hope the link is now live as I have followed nomoss's instructions from another thread[:D]