Gardeners' World

Gardian

We saw that Monty Don is back as the main presenter.

For me, he was always fine as 'the host' - quite frankly, I'm much more interested in the content. But Mrs G never liked him for some reason or other.

Did Toby Buckland get the elbow, or was it just a case of MD becoming available again after his illness?  Or maybe a bit of both? 

Tony Buckland was given the boot - the viewing figures had plummeted - it was like watching Blue Peter for gardeners. I feel sorry for him as he is far more qualified than Monty Don, who is self taught .

Frankly I suspect there was a collective sigh of relief from gardeners all over the UK when Monty appeared again !

He is better, but he only agreed to do it again as long as it was from his own garden.

agree with you sueyh. is it me or did you think that Monty looked a little gaunt on last night's programme. I do hope he is well enough to be doing the programme don't want him going the route of Geoff gone but not forgotton!

Chris

I once had the pleasure of attending a small dinner (about 25 - 30 people) with Joe Swift - he was a good speaker and a lot of fun, but said that Geoff Hamilton is everyones favorite, many people like Alan Titmarsh, but not all.

I thought Monty's garden was encouraging, only planted in 1993, basically on the cheap ( often small plants ) but now looks really good.

I think Carol Klein should have got the job when Monty first left, but she is another one like Marmite...love her or hate her...

I read somewhere that the GW audience is one of the most critical and vociferous (for the BBC).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I feel a bit for Toby Buckland though: the content wasn't necessarily his, more that of the Producer.

I watched it for the first time in many many years yesterday , the format was different to how I remebered it. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the program had just focussed on Monty Don and his garden. Too much of the 30 min program in my opinion was allocated elsewhere.