Draft Brexit agreement

NormanH

IF it gets through ...
The interesting part is Section 2 on Citizens' Rights from page 16 onwards

&
/en
(g)
the document evidencing the status shall be issued free of charge or for a charge not
exceeding that imposed on citizen
s or nationals of the host State for the issuing of similar
documents;
(h)
persons who, before the end of the transition period, hold a valid permanent residence
document issued under Article 19 or 20 of Directive 2004/38/EC or hold a valid domestic
immig
ration document conferring a permanent right to reside in the host State, shall have the
right to exchange that document within the period referred to in point (b) of this paragraph for
a new residence document upon application after a verification of thei
r identity, a criminality
and security check in accordance with point (p) of this paragraph and confirmation of their
ongoing residence; such new residence documents shall be issued free of charge;
(i)
the identity of the applicants shall be verified thro
ugh the presentation of a valid passport or
national identity card for Union citizens and United Kingdom nationals, and through the
presentation of a valid passport for their respective family members and other persons who
are not Union citizens or United
Kingdom nationals; the acceptance of such identity
documents shall not be made conditional upon any criteria other than that of the validity of
the document. Where the identity document is retained by the competent authorities of the
host State while the a
pplication is pending, the host State shall return that document upon
application without delay, before the decision on the application has been taken;
&
/en
(j)
supporting documents other than identity documents, such as civil status documents, may be
submitted in copy. Originals of supporting documents may be required only in specific cases
where there is a reasonable doubt as to the authenticity of the supporting documents
submitted;
(k)
the host State may only require Union citizens and United Kingd
om nationals to present, in
addition to the identity documents referred to in point (i) of this paragraph, the following
supporting documents as referred to in Article 8(3) of Directive 2004/38/EC:
(i)
where they reside in the host State in accordance wit
h
point (a) of
Article 7(1) of
Directive 2004/38/EC as workers or self
-
employed, a confirmation of engagement from
the employer or a certificate of employment, or proof that they are self
-
employed;
(ii)
where they reside in the host State in accordance wi
th
point (b) of
Article 7(1) of
Directive 2004/38/EC as economically inactive persons, evidence that they have
sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on
the social assistance system of the host State during thei
r period of residence and that
they have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host State; or
&
/en
(iii)
where they reside in the host State in accordance with
point (c) of
Article 7(1) of
Directive 2004/38/EC as students, proof of enrolment at an est
ablishment accredited or
financed by the host State on the basis of its legislation or administrative practice, proof
of comprehensive sickness insurance cover, and a declaration or equivalent means of
proof, that they have sufficient resources for themsel
ves and their family members not
to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host State during their period
of residence. The host State may not require such declarations to refer to any specific
amount of resources.
With regard to the condi
tion of sufficient resources, Article 8(4) of Directive 2004/38/EC
shall apply;
(l)
the host State may only require family members who fall under
point (e)(i) of
Article 10(1)
or
Article 10
(2) or
(3) of this Agreement and who reside in the host State in a
ccordance with
point (d) of
Article 7(1) or
Article 7
(2) of Directive 2004/38/EC to present, in addition to the
identity documents referred to in point (i) of this paragraph, the following supporting
documents as referred to in Article
8(5) or 10(2) of
Directive 2004/38/EC:
(i)
a document attesting to the existence of a family relationship or registered partnership;
&
/en
(ii)
the registration certificate or, in the absence of a registration system, any other proof
that the Union citizen or the United Kingd
om national with whom they reside actually
resides in the host State;
(iii)
for direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or who are dependants and
dependent direct relatives in the ascending line, and for those of the spouse or registered
partner, d
ocumentary evidence that the conditions set out in
point (c) or (d) of
Article
2(2) of Directive 2004/38/EC are fulfilled;
(iv)
for the persons referred to in Article 10(2) or (3) of this Agreement, a document issued
by the relevant authority in the host
State in accordance with Article 3(2) of Directive
2004/38/EC.
With regard to the condition of sufficient resources as concerns family members who are
themselves Union citizens or United Kingdom nationals, Article 8(4) of Directive 2004/38/EC
shall apply;
&
/en
(m)
the host State may only require family members who fall under
point (e)(ii) of
Article 10(1)
or
Article 10
(4) of this Agreement to present, in addition to the identity documents referred to
in point (i) of this paragraph, the following supporting do
cuments as referred to in
Articles
8(5) and 10(2) of Directive 2004/38/EC:
(i)
a document attesting to the existence of a family relationship or of a registered
partnership;
(ii)
the registration certificate or, in the absence of a registration system, a
ny other proof of
residence in the host State of the Union citizen or of the United Kingdom nationals
whom they are joining in the host State;
(iii)
for spouses or registered partners, a document attesting to the existence of a family
relationship or a re
gistered partnership before the end of the transition period;
(iv)
for direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or who are dependants and
dependent direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or registered
partner, documentary evi
dence that they were related to Union citizens or United
Kingdom nationals before the end of the transition period and fulfil the conditions set
out in
point (c) or (d) of
Article 2(2) of Directive 2004/38/EC relating to age or
dependence;
&
/en
(v)
for the pe
rsons referred to in Article 10(4) of this Agreement, proof that a durable
relationship with Union citizens or United Kingdom nationals existed before the end of
the transition period and continues to exist thereafter;
(n)
for cases other than those set o
ut in points (k), (l) and (m), the host State shall not require
applicants to present supporting documents that go beyond what is strictly necessary and
proportionate to provide evidence that the conditions relating to the right of residence under
this Tit
le have been fulfilled;
(o)
the competent authorities of the host State shall help the applicants to prove their eligibility
and to avoid any errors or omissions in their applications; they shall give the applicants the
opportunity to furnish supplementar
y evidence and to correct any deficiencies, errors or
omissions;
(p)
criminality and security checks may be carried out systematically on applicants, with the
exclusive aim of verifying whether the restrictions set out in Article 20 of this Agreement may
be applicable. For that purpose, applicants may be required to declare past criminal
convictions which appear in their criminal record in accordance with the law of the State of
conviction at the time of the application. The host State may, if it considers
this essential,
apply the procedure set out in Article 27(3) of Directive 2004/38/EC with respect to enquiries
to other States regarding previous criminal records;
&
/en
(q)
the new residence document shall include a statement that it has been issued in
accordance
with this Agreement;
(r)
the applicant shall have access to judicial and, where appropriate, administrative redress
procedures in the host State against any decision refusing to grant the residence status. The
redress procedures shall allow for
an examination of the legality of the decision, as well as of
the facts and circumstances on which the proposed decision is based.
Such redress procedures
shall ensure that the decision is not disproportionate.
During the period referred to in point (
b) of paragraph 1 of this Article and its possible one
-
year extension under point (c) of that paragraph, all rights provided for in this Part shall be deemed
to apply to Union citizens or United Kingdom nationals, their respective family members, and other
persons residing in the host State, in accordance with the conditions and subject to the restrictions
set out in Article 20.
Pending a final decision by the competent authorities on any application referred to in
paragraph 1, and pending a final judgm
ent handed down in case of judicial redress sought against
any rejection of such application by the competent administrative authorities, all rights provided for
in this Part shall be deemed to apply to the applicant, including Article 21 on safeguards and
right
of appeal, subject to the conditions set out in Article 20(4).
&
/en
Where a host State has chosen not to require Union citizens or United Kingdom nationals,
their family members, and other persons, residing in its territory in accordance with the co
nditions
set out in this Title, to apply for the new residence status referred to in paragraph 1 as a condition
for legal residence, those eligible for residence rights under this Title shall have the right to receive,
in accordance with the conditions set
out in Directive 2004/38/EC, a residence document, which
may be in a digital form, that includes a statement that it has been issued in accordance with this
Agreement.
ARTICLE
Issuance of residence documents during the transition period
During t
he transition period, a host State may allow applications for a residence status or
residence document as referred to in Article 18(1) and (4) to be made voluntarily from the date of
entry into force of this Agreement.
Decisions to accept or refuse suc
h applications shall be taken in accordance with Article
18(1)
and (4). Decisions under Article 18(1) shall have no effect until after the end of the transition
period.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still going through the 585 pages...

I did find this:

"where

they reside in the host State in accordance with point (b) of Article

7(1) of

Directive

2004/38/EC as economically inactive persons, evidence that they have

sufficient

resources for themselves and their family members not to become a

burden on

the

social assistance system of the host State during their period of

residence and that

they

have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host State"

I presume that the issue of whether the British government continues to provide this under the S1 up  to Britain not to Europe, but as I said I haven't finished reading

Best of luck Norman. We all have sections of it which are important us as an individual. My interest is in recognising qualifications after Brexit. The problem I discovered is there are so many links to existing EU legislation it becomes almost impossible at times because you do have to read them as well to get the full picture. You only have one in your bit you have mentioned some have 10 or more then even more in the footing of the page. Add in the further 100 Annexes of further information then talk about complicated or what.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]I'm going to leave it for a day or two....[/quote]

Me too, it might all come crashing down yet ..it is obvious that it is not at all universally liked or yet agreed.

Interesting to return from Blighty last night after a long weekend of Remembrance and Old School and Uni reunions for hubby, to find what happens when you are in the midst of that wonderful journey allocated to you by Ryanair ... all went as well as could be expected as it happened ... but everyone we spoke to described the current scenario as chaos or shambles, regardless of which side of the divide they might be .. we didn't always bother asking which way they voted ... everyone thinks its a shambles at present!

I couldn't manage to read everything.

I shall wait until it has all been sorted, this could after all affect us badly or not at all, and we shall get on with which ever scenario.

The thing is that people used to have to have sufficient funds to live on and not be a burden to the french state...... and I agree with that. No one should. That they may be a burden in  their homeland is quite another thing.

Being pedantic, this is a proposal, not an agreement (apart from the cabinet eventually agreeing to put it forward.)
It still has to be discussed with EU and await their agreement. Or not.
And confirmed by parliament at some stage.

Assuming all this happens, then comes the 'transitionary period'. Only God knows how long this would take.
It occurred to me that a document this size must have been prepared ages ago by the civil service and presented as a last resort.

In my original post I did make it clear that this was just explaining what was in this document. That got lost in the scrambling.
Today it seems as if it will be difficult for it to go through given the antics of those who are supposed to be governing the country..

Maybe it's too late to go back to pre Article 50 - from Wiki:

"Is Article 50 reversible?
According

to the influential German finance minister Wolfgang Schäuble, "The

British Government has said we will stay with the Brexit. ... On 29

March 2017, the EU Commission stated "It is up to the United Kingdom to

trigger Article 50. But once triggered, it cannot be unilaterally reversed"

[quote user="Patf"]
Maybe it's too late to go back to pre Article 50 - from Wiki:

"Is Article 50 reversible?
According

to the influential German finance minister Wolfgang Schäuble, "The

British Government has said we will stay with the Brexit. ... On 29

March 2017, the EU Commission stated "It is up to the United Kingdom to

trigger Article 50. But once triggered, it cannot be unilaterally reversed"
[/quote]

I'm sure it could be reversed by mutual agreement - but almost certainly without some of the concessions and exemptions formerly enjoyed by the UK.