Draft Brexit agreement

NormanH

I'm not a Corbyn fan but I thought it was very honest of him to say upfront that he hadn't read all 500+ pages. I suspect many of those who are confidently spouting judgments on it, have not read the whole thing either but are keeping quiet about it.

I"m getting the feeling that TM has finally glimpsed the reality that the negotiations are on the home straight, and it's time to stop pretending that there will be a unicorn waiting round next corner. Maybe now she's starting to understand how Barnier felt, repeating time after time that rights and obligations have to be balanced and the UK has to choose whereabouts on the scale it wants to be.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ET and Richard your both right in that not many have probably read the whole document nor have they read the directives that apply. I personally have only read the bit that effects/interests me, which I did say, and the directives that went with it.

Given that Corbyn in his reply to Mays statement mention about six or seven things the answers of which were in the first 10 or so pages of the draft I just wondered how much he has read. For the leader of a party and under the current circumstances on such a critical issue I did expect more.

To also say that the draft did not meet any of the six tests of his (which I could only discover were published on Sept 24th 2018 unless there was a previous version) seemed rather bazaar given that two of the six are in direct contradiction of each other and one had been met in the draft.

I guess at the end of the day it will be what it will be and as it seems that both Labour and the Tories won't allow the British people the opportunity to decide if they like the deal or not we have no control over the issue.

Labour have been banging on about the six tests since March 2017.

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/labour-six-tests-brexit-full-list-sir-keir-starmer-conference-speech-2018/

Can't see how any are contradictory or how they can currently be met properly with Maggies Mays efforts.

Richard - No.2 "Does it deliver the “exact same benefits” as we currently have as members of the Single Market and Customs Union?"

No.3 "Does it ensure the fair management of migration in the interests of the economy and communities?"

There lays the conflict because the Single Market requires free movement of workers. You can't have one without the other. If you apply to join the Single Market then you can negotiate the terms, if you are in it which the UK is then you can't. So it can't be negotiated in the withdrawal but only after the UK leaves and tries to re-join should it wish. But that's not the point because it says “exact same benefits” and a benefit is the free movement of workers. Well that how I read it.

No.5. "Does it protect national security and our capacity to tackle cross-border crime?".

The draft does.

As a point I am not to sure what No.4 means.

I read it that free movement is not a "benefit" of the single market, but that of labour is.

No 4 I read it as referring to workers rights and while it will keep up when under EU, nothing to protect when UK law only applies.

No 5 Not as currently

To keep WB happy Starmer is a QC and went to Oxford, albeit only for a year it seems. Presumably he talks to and agrees with Corbyn occasionally.