We are debating on a move to France. Any advice appreciated!

Well we did have a restaurant in London which had 3 AA rosettes which equates to once star Michelin....but the decor was not just posh enough to get a star and we had no someliar.But once a chef...alwaysa chef I guesse.There are lots of chefs and restaurants in our area but not so many of them seem to enjoy cooking.Breakfast seems to be about jam,bread,coffee and juice but when you are on holiday the food should be glorious!Thats our idea.Am I allowed to add my website address?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jon, do you open your restaurant to people who aren't staying in your hotel?

Your food sounds absolutely wonderful and, as you are only in the next departement to ours, I wouldn't mind popping in for one of your meals even if I'm not staying the night.

No we are not a restaurant.So we only offer dinner to our guests.

We do have people who stay the night and have dinner....celebrations.

With a restaurant we would both be preparing food all day and night and with food wasteage...there have to be choices.

However there is still a lot of work as everything is made here [we currently buy the bread from the boulangerie]

We buy the wine from our neighbour...just along the road.

Hello again.  Have just come back from 5 days in France and find this thread is still going (my last contribution was on about page 12).

Many of the posts seem to be parading entrenched views yet they are probably all correct.  France is a big country and there will be a mix of people doing well and people doing badly just like virtually every other country.

Have found out some facts about the small village I purchased my house in.

30% of the full time residents are English.  A couple of years ago the mayor defended the number of English coming into the village citing how much money was brought in. Since then the Marie, church, park/playing fields/village green have been renovated/repointed etc out of public funds.  Traditionally this is one of the poorest areas of France.

We went to the village's single restaurant during our stay and the composition of the diners seemed to match the village population.  We were introduced to everyone as the new owners of our house.  French and English alike, about 25 diners finished the evening toasting our arrival with a free cognac from the restaurant owner.  Everyone mingled in a mixture of english, french and franglais (presumably there is an opposite to franglais coming from the french side).

Certainly in this tiny sample the English full time residents were very happy.  I heard one person say they miss Yorkshire (her husbabd disagreed) and that was about it for regrets.

The OP asked for advice and got opinions in spades.  They need to work out what kind of people they are.  Optimistic, flexible, hard working, resiliant, clever etc etc and they should be ok.  "Life owes me a living" types, probably not.  In my view, their success or otherwise will probably be more down to their own skills and attitudes, planning and fortitude than outside factors. 

[quote user="Stan Streason"]

The OP asked for advice and got opinions in spades.  They need to work out what kind of people they are.  Optimistic, flexible, hard working, resiliant, clever etc etc and they should be ok.  "Life owes me a living" types, probably not.  In my view, their success or otherwise will probably be more down to their own skills and attitudes, planning and fortitude than outside factors. 

[/quote]

I would like to think I am all of those things (optimistic, flexible, hardworking) but it wasn't enough for me.  As you say it can depend on many factors and for me it was the state of the french education, if you don't have kids this of course won't be a consideration.  Funding for euipment and apathy amongst teachers being the main problemsI have encountered.

Out of interest did you meet anyone working if so what did they do? 

Panda

Desperatedan - my advice would be to try it, but not with the attitude of success or failure, just to enjoy the experience and the adventure. If things go well you might end up staying here.

The other advice is to make sure you have an escape route back "home" if things don't work out as you hope.

And make sure you understand the french health system and how to get into it.

Good luck - Pat.

"Escape route back HOME" Are  those of us who moved here living in a war zone.It weould also depend on who and what you were going to escape back to!

Back to square one.....not easy to get work in UK....graduates are not having a great time getting work.six of one...half a dozen of the other/

for a while I thought that jon's posts were a form of advertising..but with the failure to take up the possibility of posting the website I come down on the side that this poster is just a mildly sopisticated troll, who posts vague ideas with nothing concrete behind them in order to stir up a reaction..

Put up your site so people can come and see ths miracle you describe, or shut up..

A French friend of mine, married to an English guy and living in the UK for many years, decided to go and live in France when their boys were little. They rented their house in the UK and rented one in France. he found it impossible to find a job he enjoyed and t he 3 boys HATED French school with a vengeance, despite the fact they were bilingual. Dry, boring, learning by rote, sitting all day at a desk. They were back within a year. One of the now grown up boys lives in France with his French wife and kids - the other 2 are in the UK. And parents now gone back to France as now retired. I keep talking to people in France who feel desperate about the lack of stimulation provided by their kids education.

Make sure the children learn as much French as poss before you go - go forth and enjoy- but make sure you keep doors open just in case it doesn't work out.

[quote user="Panda"][quote user="Stan Streason"]

[/quote]

I would like to think I am all of those things (optimistic, flexible, hardworking) but it wasn't enough for me.  As you say it can depend on many factors and for me it was the state of the french education, if you don't have kids this of course won't be a consideration.  Funding for euipment and apathy amongst teachers being the main problemsI have encountered.

Out of interest did you meet anyone working if so what did they do? 

Panda

[/quote]

Most of the English people we met in the restaurant were working (4 couples - 1 with children).  There was of course an obligatory builder, one couple run an estate agency, the family run gites with riding stables for riding holidays - can't remember what the other couple did (if anything).  I guess those not working couldnt afford to go to the restaurant, so may not be a representative sample. Each said that they started off catering for either expats or English holidaymakers they are gradually becoming less reliant upon the English.

[quote user="jon"]

"Escape route back HOME" Are  those of us who moved here living in a war zone.It weould also depend on who and what you were going to escape back to!

Back to square one.....not easy to get work in UK....graduates are not having a great time getting work.six of one...half a dozen of the other/

[/quote]

Frankly I'd rather be unemployed (if I had to be) in a country where I was fluent in the language ...so I don't think the odds are quite so even.

Russet house....not really sure that a person can be better of with a great command of a language if they have no prospects of making a living.Lots of Polish people came to UK without much English...lots of them found adequate work.Many people came to France and have little buisnesses of all kinds....their English,perhaps was a little vague at the begining but with practice and learning become good enough  to to intigrate and enjoy life.One of the people I know teaches French and helps people with writng letters/phone calls which are legal or complex.These such matters are difficult at the best of times.

Russet House I imagine that appreciate France at a distance and that you probably do not spend much time here[out of choice].Life is fairly comfortable for you at home.You are,unlike me very traditional?Your photo on the  forum...does that show you as you are now?If so then perhaps some day you may concider that living in France is a good option.Your French is probably fairly good?

Truely I am not at all sure that it is about language at the end of the day!
It is about belonging somewhere.If you leave children in UK and come to live here it can be emotionally difficult.Emotional support is the major factor of  happiness.....much harder to find in a fundentally selfish world.

I have nothing to prove!

There is no miracle and no fireworks to explode.

I very much doubt if you are interested to book rooms at my property....so how can it be advertising!Are you tourists?Look an apology please from those of you who are rude!It is not necessary at all......all rather stange that you unable to accept my thoughts and findings.

Stop trying to provoke a reaction, Jon. People will reply if they want, there is no need for you to spam the thread.

And in my opinion, its you who should be offering an apology for your previous critique of long-standing forum member on something as whimsical as your opinion of their appearance, conjured up from a tiny photo.

[quote user="dave21478"]Stop trying to provoke a reaction, Jon. People will reply if they want, there is no need for you to spam the thread.

And in my opinion, its you who should be offering an apology for your previous critique of long-standing forum member on something as whimsical as your opinion of their appearance, conjured up from a tiny photo.

[/quote]

He is just lucky RH decided to sit on her hands, shame really I was looking forward to her reply. One should never make assumptions in life and I happen to know the photo is of her daughter which I believe is common knowledge but if I have overstepped I appologize in advance.

Thank you kindly, yes the avatar is of my daughter quite a few years ago now......

I decided to 'sit on my hands' as jons posts remind me of what the forum was like 6 or 7 years ago with some people refusing to acknowledge that France had problems, the health care and the education wasn't all great and unemployment esp among the young was/is still a problem.

We did have an opportunity to move to France but my children were happy at their respective schools and I suspected I may have a few challenges with one of them - I was right but was able to access the right help and all is well now, my language skills were not up to even asking for assistance in France and I just wasn't au fait with the system. Later we thought of a maison secondaire, then reviewed that to an apartment, but really with our limited time available we are better off keeping our capital and using hotels or staying with friends. Plus now my sister and I share the overall responsibility of my aged mother......the moment for relocating has passed

Never the less I am in touch by email and telephone with friends in France several times a week and try to keep abreast of what is going on...