driving an automatic

mint

sd, i think this one is for you.  i have got an automatic and it occurs to me that i am not sure quite what to do when i stop at traffic lights and junctions.

do i put it into neutral and apply the handbrake or just leave it in drive and apply the handbrake?  what has got me thinking is a poster who said that he was "done" and had 3 points for not stopping completely and putting on his handbrake.

i must admit that if i only expect to be stopped for a short while (eg when i know the light will be changing soon) i just use my foot brake.  the automatic has made me more "careless" in these sorts of situations because i never used to do that when i was driving with gears

i love driving my automatic, especially in france, when i have to concentrate that much harder

thank you, sd, or anyone else who answers!

I have driven automatics for years, and so have had lots of time to develop bad habits...

If I am stopping for a few seconds I simply hold it on the footbrake (I drive one-footed). At lights I sometimes do that or sometimes put on the handbrake and slip into neutral. For longer stops (such as level crossings) I put the car in park. I don't put the handbrake on at stop signs, I must admit, as I usually want to get away sharpish - I drive a lot in S London traffic, and the slightest hesitation sees you hooted, reviled and possibly rammed from behind.

I have to confess that I am also a rather careless automatic driver, in fact somewhat more so. I use the footbreak for everything, only using the handbrake/neutral for a lengthy stop on a long journey when my legs are tired.

Excuse my ignorance, Dick, I've only been driving for about six years; is there any other way to drive an automatic other than one footed?

I have the Code Rousseau in front of me and cannot for the life of me see anything that mentions the handbrake!  I quote "STOP: Marquer l'arret a la limite de la chaussee abordee sans depasser la ligne.  Ceder le passage a gauche et a droite avant de s'engager."  And that's it.

I'm happy to be corrected (as ever) but as long as you stop for the requisite number of seconds, does it matter how ?

I was taught to drive an automatic one footed, and to begin with, sit on the other foot. The person who taught me reckoned that using both feet increased the chances of killing yourself!

There is no problem, at all, in simply holding the vehicle on the footbrake when stopping at a stop sign. The handbrake makes sense for longer periods such as traffic lights, with gear in Neutral. Park should only be used after the handbrake has been applied and when the vehicle is actually being parked.

On that point, a warning. Park is activated in most automatics, by a small mechanical part, called the parking pawl. Any movement of the vehicle or pressure against the 'pawl' when parking on a slope etc, can cause the 'pawl' to break. When this happens you will not believe how expensive the repair costs can be. Treat it with care...........................[8-|]

Do you know, I once tried to put an auto in Park whilst it was moving...

It was a Volvo, so nothing broke, but the noise was appalling.

I also once forgot I was driving an auto and tried to change gear. Forgetting that was a brake on the left, and not a clutch. Fortunately I was wearing a seatbelt...

[quote user="Dick Smith"]......................It was a Volvo, so nothing broke, ................................
[/quote]

I'm not even going there.............................................[Www].....................................[;-)]

It's all a matter of preference,but i can't see the point of braking with your left foot.If you are braking,you will not be accelerating (except on a racetrack),so why not use the right foot on both,to save any mistakes,which people who were brought up on manual gearboxes,are more likely to do in a panic situation.

thanks for all the replies.  pogo, i do only use my right foot; perhaps my original post didn't make that clear.

i now know, sd, to put it into neutral and apply the handbrake when stopped for a few minutes at traffic lights but that in all other instances, it's ok just to use the foot brake.

i did have an experience which was the exact opposite of dick's.  i forgot i was driving my husband's car (with gears) and tried to slow down without changing down (also NOT a nice sound)!

also, i was taught to drive originally by a racing car driver some 30 years ago and he used to teach me to slow down by using the gears instead of the brakes!  horrendous, wouldn't dream of doing that now.  after all brake pads are a lot cheaper than a new gear box!

I don't even think you need to put it in neutral and put on the hand brake when stopped at a traffic light - the regular break is just fine.  I come from a country where probably 90% of the cars are automatic, and I've never once seen anyone do that.  I was only told to use the parking break when parking on a steep hill. 

[quote user="samdebretagne"] I was only told to use the parking break when parking on a steep hill. 

[/quote]

Or ferries, of course.

I only put the handbrake on to get my foot off the brake, and partly because in rain I can see the steam coming off my back-windscreen brakelight!

[quote user="pogo"]

If you are braking,you will not be accelerating (except on a racetrack),so why not use the right foot on both,to save any mistakes,which people who were brought up on manual gearboxes,are more likely to do in a panic situation.

[/quote] My bold.

Pogo this is exactly what my dad told me, during the time I was ferrying him around in his Automatic. I'd never driven one before but saw the sense in this.

[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="pogo"]

If you are braking,you will not be accelerating (except on a racetrack),so why not use the right foot on both,to save any mistakes,which people who were brought up on manual gearboxes,are more likely to do in a panic situation.

[/quote] My bold.

Pogo this is exactly what my dad told me, during the time I was ferrying him around in his Automatic. I'd never driven one before but saw the sense in this.[/quote]

This is why I was encouraged to tuck my left foot underneath me (more flexible then !) That just MADE me only use my right foot.

[quote user="Russethouse"] This is why I was encouraged to tuck my left foot underneath me (more flexible then !) That just MADE me only use my right foot.[/quote]

Yes, that's what my dad said. He still carried on barking orders at me like a Drill Sergeant though.

But then that's what he was...[;-)]

40+ years ago when I was taught to drive an automatic shift car, my driving school instructor taught me to drive using one foot, foot on brake for stop signs and traffic lights (car in "Drive"), car in "Neutral" only for very long stops, car in "Park", only when parked.  He would have been very amused at the notion of all this shifting into neutral and park at stop signs and traffic lights.

For the past 20+ years, I have driven only manual transmission cars; I would probably make a lot of abrupt and unintentional stops if I were now to try to drive an automatic using my left foot on the brake.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]My friend Glen, mechanic, ex-racer, uses left and right feet. I've no idea why, but I've heard other people claim to do this.
[/quote]

It allows you to keep a higher level of acceleration on the engine, while under braking.  Racing drivers do this for faster getaways after enforced breaking for such things as bends.  Works better when using a manual change, but autos will do.