I m going to drive for the first time in the UK

Frenchie2

Val

Don't leave it TOO long because it won't get any easier by fretting about it.  Just think how proud you will be of yourself and how thrilled your husband would be not having to drive you everywhere.

Then think some more, how you can go off to the supermarket and the hairdresser on your own.  You can take your time because you won't be keeping anybody waiting. 

You can go off and meet your girl friends for a coffee or lunch and you can enjoy the French countryside from behind the wheel (the best way I can think of to enjoy it)

Val, like Ernie says, just pick lunch time and just go a short distance to a place you know.  Sometimes it's a question of feel the fear and do it anyway (That is the name of a book by Susan Jefferies).  Fear will only hold you back IF YOU LET IT.  Fear is normal, it's self-preservation but you can rise above it, Val.

I for one am looking forward to you posting to tell us how you got on.  And think of all the people on the forum whom you might be inspiring!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="sweet 17"]Fear will only hold you back IF YOU LET IT.  Fear is normal, it's self-preservation but you can rise above it ...........[/quote]

Exactly the same feelings I get when I drive in to town to get the bread etc every morning. I usually encounter 2 or 3 'projectiles' coming the other way driven by 25-35yo women returning from the school run.  They're the worst (by far).

[quote user="Gardian"]

I usually encounter 2 or 3 'projectiles' coming the other way driven by 25-35yo women returning from the school run.  They're the worst (by far).

[/quote]Have you considered going earlier or later ?

In the offshore business we'd call that Job Hazard Analysis and Risk Management and we would conduct a pre task Toolbox Talk with all involved parties so everybody understood the job, then you'd have to apply for a Permit to Work and by the time you'd done all that and collected up the 1/2 ream of supporting paperwork it'll be lunchtime so you'd knock off for a nosh and a power nap start again in the afternoon. With luck and you might just get that Baguette in time for tea [:D][:D][:D]

On reflection, perhaps your idea of chancing it is not so bad after all, at least you'll get your breakfast !!!!!!

I've uttered it myself on a few occasions in the dim and distant past John, and had it yelled at me [:D]

Unfortunately in these days of 'elf & Safety and mollycoddling it would be seen as dinosaur speak and potentially construed as harrasment or bullying and liable to get you sent for counselling, and conceivably the sack, if that didn't "cure" you, I kid you not !

I do sometimes long for the days when you could say it though.

Actually thinking about it, it's what we are saying to valB isn't it, but in a slightly more pleasant fashion of course [kiss][:D]

[quote user="valB"]I have just read all the replies to your thread and some really good advice given to you.  I am not replying to offer any advice at all as I stopped driving in the UK several years ago as I found a lot of the drivers very aggressive and some downright dangerous. My biggest problem is I have not got the nerve to drive in France albeit we live in a rural, quiet area and  OH is getting sick of having to go shopping with me so I admire you for attempting to drive in UK....BRAVO  !!!!!![/quote]

Val

You must try and pluck up the courage to drive in France. What would happen if your husband was to be ill, in hospital even, how would you manage the visits, shopping and everything else?

As others have said, start by going short distances, when the roads are quiet and then progress from there.

Do let us know how you get on.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Actually thinking about it, it's what we are saying to valB isn't it, but in a slightly more pleasant fashion of course [kiss][:D]

[/quote]

Oh I don't know about that Ern, your suggestions did not seem particularly unpleasant to me.

A. Dinosaur

[quote user="valB"]Thanks for all your encouragement and my News Year resolution is...guess what. Once I am upwardly mobile I will take you up on a spin in your MG, Ernie,   OK  ?[/quote]

There you are Ernie , I knew your MG would figure somewhere in this!

Good idea Bugbear ! maybe the way I will be driving it might be better to have an "L" on it and a pole with a red flag on the front and someone walking in front ringing a bell. Joking aside would it be legal for me to have an "A" on the car as I actually passed my test in UK twenty odd years ago....FIRST TIME  I may add.

[quote user="valB"]Thanks for all your encouragement and my News Year resolution is...guess what. Once I am upwardly mobile I will take you up on a spin in your MG, Ernie,   OK  ?[/quote]If the prospect serves to help motivate you then you'll be welcome val so consider it a date. I'm sure you'll understand though when I say I'd prefer we left the word "spin" out of it [:-))]

One point, we don't know where you are do we, logistics might be the downfall ?

Val

As you haven't driven for several years and you are unfamiliar with driving in France, it would not be a good idea to just start driving again without some form of re-introduction training.  From what you say, you do not have much confidence in your driving abilitites and you probably have little knowledge of the rules of the road.

I suggest you have a word with your local driving school with a view to enrolling on a short course as a 'learner'.  They will be able to bring your confidence back up to scratch and you'll be able to study the code de la route as well.

OK.   Val, I had to respond to you.   I was a late learning with driving in UK.     When I finally did pass, and had to drive on my own, I found myself paralysed with fear when I even had to approach the car.   I felt physically ill at the thought of it.   I would do anything at all not to get in that car.   When I could bring myself to get in the car, I would sit there, sometimes for up to an hour, sweating buckets, stomach churning, heart hammering away, before I could even bring myself to start it up.   Oh yes, I also used to set off to work at 4.00 in the morning, so as to 'avoid the traffic', and stay at work until at least past 11.00, ditto above.   OH began to think I was playing away !    Anyway, things gradually improved and after a year driving I could pretty much go to work at normal times, although I would still get the occasional day when it all seemed too much.  No-one could understand it, as I am normally very confident and pretty much give anything a go.    Years went by ...

We moved to France !!   Yes, you can imagine, it all started again.    There were no excuses I wouldn't use to get in that car and drive, and then one day I just told myself I was going to get up, sling clothes on, jump in car, start engine, drive to end of road and back.    I did it, and of course it was a bit weird because I hadn't been in the damn thing for so long !     I then built up to going on all of the local trips which I need to go on.    It's hardly a success story, because I haven't been out of the local area, but then again I never really did in England.   

People still laugh at me and my inability to drive on motorways etc etc, or go out of comfort zone, but frankly I don't actually care anymore, because only I really know what it took me to get in that stupid car and actually drive it, especially during that first year.   Sometimes I actually find I am enjoying driving now, and am so shocked !!. 

So, when I say to you 'just do it', you can believe that it comes from a source that absolutely 100% knows how you feel about it.   You will feel great after, trust me.

Londoneye

THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!    At last someone who  knows how I feel inside. Yes, I know my life will dramatically change when I do have a go and I really will have a go soon but the fear that I feel is unreal. The previous thread quite rightly said I would need refresher lessons but as my French is really bad and I cannot understand the French when they speak I wonder how we would understand each other. I am determined to have a little drive even if I have to have OH with me...good idea or bad I don't know but at first I think I would feel safer.

Val, have OH with you if it makes you feel better, but really for one journey only (a very short one), otherwise he (or she) may well become a crutch.  

I suppose driving lessons would be good, but frankly its more important that you get in that car and keep getting in that car right now, even if you swing around the block (or field !!!) once a day, until your French is up to the lessons.    The longer you leave it, the harder it gets, trust me on that one .... come on, you can do it you know, nothing bad will happen if you are sensible.

I've seen a couple of references to Swindon in this thread. Although Frenchie is not going there I think she needs to know what she's missing. The first link is about the magic roundabout, mentioned elsewhere, and the others show some more local traffic hazards.

http://www.jasperfforde.com/swindon/album2.html

http://www.jasperfforde.com/swindon/album3.html

http://www.jasperfforde.com/swindon/album17.html

Frenchie, dont forget you now need the pink approval slip added to your French licence before you can drive in GB. Ask the embassy for it. All they need is  foto of your driving licence, ID, birth certificate, marriage certificates, proof from the police of non-conviction, proof that the vehicle has passed the MOT. There is something else that I cant remember. perhaps someone can help out please.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Frenchie, dont forget you now need the pink approval slip added to your French licence before you can drive in GB. Ask the embassy for it. All they need is  foto of your driving licence, ID, birth certificate, marriage certificates, proof from the police of non-conviction, proof that the vehicle has passed the MOT. There is something else that I cant remember. perhaps someone can help out please.[/quote]

Shoe size,  inside leg measurement and , are you teeth your own!