I m going to drive for the first time in the UK

Frenchie2

Tut tut Bones.................[Www]

I have to admit that those mini "pot of paint spilt in the road" roundabouts can sometimes be irritating though.

There are several in the area of UK where I used to live and I have frequently encountered the situation where cars arrive at the roundabout simultaneously and all stop to give way to the right, with the result that nobody moves - and then they all move at the same time !  

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Bones"]One more tip (one that I'm sure you have already considered). If the police pull you over for anything, pretend you can only speak enough English to say "Friend - lend - car - I no understand". They'll soon get bored. [/quote]

That did worked for my French friend when he was stopped for driving  tad too fast arriving in Brighton after picking me up from the Newhaven ferry... The French registration on the car made it more plausible though! [:D]

[/quote]

Tee hee!

My uncle did it after moving to Germany in the 80's: he knew that the chances of an English copper being fluent in German was next to zero.

Flash a French driving licence too if you've got one and you'll be pretty bomb proof.

The reality is that unless you've been in an accident or actually been seen or caught doing something really stupid or dangerous then your average UK plod simply won't be ar*ed, they just don't need the paperwork.

Mind you, these days it's so rare to see a real police patrol car on the roads that the chances of being pulled for anything are virually zero anyway.

[quote user="Frenchie2"]

It would work for me if I am on my own in the car .. I can say " Me French, no understand well.. Ze car.. friend me .. errr.. prété... sorry .."  + a tear or two, I should be OK    [:D]  [;-)]

HEE HEE  [:D]

[/quote]

I tried this in England once with my French registered carbut the officer smelt a rat as it was RHD and didn't believe that I couldnt find my license (and he also knew enough French to call it a permis de conduire) luckily he was summoned by radio to something more serious.

I think perhaps it was my âllo âllo accent that gave me away[:)] Also I couldnt try the bursting into tears method!

Something else too Frenchie. If you find the door keeps opening then try changing gear with the other hand![:D] I did it a couple of times when I picked up our new car in Holland before we moved over, I kid you not!

Bones said "Anyone who regularly tackles the Leclerc roundabout north of Carcassonne will know what I mean. "

Bones, if you get that roundabout right you can almost straight line it comming up the hill from Pont Rouge.

Someone mentioned Swindon. The Magic Roundabout has to be seen to be believed. 7 mini roundabouts in a 'flower' pattern. Right outside the fire station. Very handy. Swindow was part of my patch as a service eng for IBM for 8 years and I used to be able to get across that roundabout without having to stop normally. Even when others were qued all over the place. If you get to know it then it works. Mind boggling the first time though!!![8-)]

Good luck. England is a lovely place with some beautiful scenery. I hope that you get the weather to see it?[:D]

I dont know if anyone mentioned these but I think they should help you.

If you enter onto a road with no road markings. Then it is quite easy to forget which side of the road you should be on.

It can happen on minor roads with limited markings.

Remember that there is no give way to the right as there is in France.

If you are on a main road then you have priority.

If you are on a roundabouts you have priority.

I hope I'm not going too much off thread here.  When I am in the UK and I see a driver in front drifting across lanes and dithering, I have a fair idea that chances are they are going to pull out in front of me without signalling.  If I see someone indicating they are turning left to turn into "my road"and they look like they are going too fast to do the turn, then I assume that they have left their indicator on inadvertantly and I stay put until I am absolutely sure they ARE going to turn. What I find difficult in France is that I can't "read" what's going on in a French mind and I play very, very safe and I stick around and watch what they do first before doing anything myself.

Frenchie, from the time you spent in the UK, would you say that there is a driving "mind-set" of sorts and that a British one does not always work the same way as a French one?

Does anybody else have this strange feeling that they can't predict what the other (French) driver is thinking or meaning to do?  In fact, does any know what the hell I'm talking about? (as I am not sure I am being very clear in my explanation) ?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Frenchie, from the time you spent in the UK, would you say that there is a driving "mind-set" of sorts and that a British one does not always work the same way as a French one?  I think I know what you mean ad the answer is YES, deffo.......  But up to now I ve only been a passenger ............................ [:$]

[/quote]

Does anybody else have this strange feeling that they can't predict

what the other (French) driver is thinking or meaning to do?  In fact,

does any know what the hell I'm talking about? (as I am not sure I am

being very clear in my explanation) ?

---------------------

Road sense! The one thing they cannot teach you at driving school.

I think I do pretty well in France now.

Bones, I don't know about road sense.  It's almost like a sixth sense that you develop.  I mean you just KNOW that the other person is going to do something stupid just before they do it.  I had this sense in abundance in the UK and have been driving for 35 years without an accident but I am just not that confident about keeping up this record in France.  Not that I think my driving is less safe here; I don't get such a good idea of what the other person is going to do!  Therefore it's not so easy to take avoiding action.

At the risk of appearing facetious Sweet:

Road sense! [:D]

I drive pretty, er, swiftly on the open road but always keep at least two car lengths distance between me and the driver in front: until I overtake them. [:)]. The big worry for me is the amount of lunatics that overtake on blind corners - I mean they can kill themselves for all I care but I hate the idea that they could take out my family with them. [:@]

I do wonder if I'm ever so slightly more switched on when driving in France and perhaps that's a good thing?

On the other hand, I returned to England last year and was all over the place: I had eyes like dinner plates!

I know what you mean about being more switched on when driving in France, Bones.  I have only been here a few months and I am certainly a lot more cautious than I ever was in the UK.  Mind you, I do prefer driving here; in fact, I have rediscovered the joy of driving.  My OH bought a LHD recently and I make every excuse to "borrow" that instead of using my own RHD.

Agreed, on both points.

One of the big attractions of France for me is re-discovering the enjoyment of driving my MG on a gloriously sunny morning on roads wonderfully devoid of traffic. Suitably aware of the meaning of white and red bollards of course [Www]

Latterly I hardly ever ventured out in UK because there was simply no pleasure left in it [:(]

The MG is also a great ice breaker and a help in improving my French but it does mean I have to behave myself [:$]

I have just read all the replies to your thread and some really good advice given to you.  I am not replying to offer any advice at all as I stopped driving in the UK several years ago as I found a lot of the drivers very aggressive and some downright dangerous. My biggest problem is I have not got the nerve to drive in France albeit we live in a rural, quiet area and  OH is getting sick of having to go shopping with me so I admire you for attempting to drive in UK....BRAVO  !!!!!!

Val you should try as the rual roads are much better than the roads here, I was so scared but I had to do it as I will be out in france more times than my hubby and there was no way of getting to our house without a car, It was usless trying with him in the car as he kept screaming so I only got about 10mins practise before he was due to leave he drove us to the carpark at toulouse airport and left me there. I was terrified, but I took a deep breath and just did it (lost a few buckets of sweat on the way) the roads around the motor ways were the worst but once on the motorway I could relax a little , I got back to carcassonne to the super market (went in and spoilt my self to some goodies) and then had 10 mins shaking in the carpark before driving the rest of the way home. Now Im happy has larry. The best thing is the feeling of independance and the sheer act I DID IT!![:)] Hubby rang me in the evening and said see I knew you could do it but later confessed he was wetting himself all the way to the states!!      

Val, Pads is right, you just need to DO it.  But, you have to have real motivation.  When we moved over here, we had to make our separate ways.  This is because we have a nervous little dog and we didn't want her spending hours on the ferry on her own.  So, OH brought her via the tunnel and she could stay in the car with him all the way.

So, what about me?  Well, I came on the overnight ferry, Plymouth/Roscoff because that was the only sailing I could get at short notice.  I drove myself onto the ferry, slept the night there, drove myself off the ferry and drove down here all the way.  I think the distance door to door was something like 580 miles.  I wasn't that I was confident, I was PETRIFIED and had a good weep the night before, accusing my husband of being heartless when he said I could manage quite well.  I thought I probably COULD manage but I wanted him to say yes, poor love, it will be difficult but just do it anyway.

I printed out the route using Michelin and I memorised each section of the route whenever I had a comfort break.  This is because I couldn't read the instructions as I wear reading glasses.

After getting here, I have never had any problems driving in France.  Some women friends who have lived here years still do not drive and I feel so sorry for them.  You see, I had no choice and failure wasn't an option.  All along the route, I thought of reaching my lovely new home and of seeing my husband and my little dog and how we would all be reunited.  That really spurred me on.

You need to motivate yourself; like Pads having to get herself home from the airport.  And do you know, Val, not only do I drive my own RHD car nowadays, I also drive my husband's LHD car as though I have always driven one of those!

Choose a quiet time of day, get in the car and tell yourself you are a grown-up independent person and you can do this.  To be honest, the roads are so quiet and, as long as you choose a road you know well, you'll surprise yourself why you haven't done it before!

Do post and let us know how you get on AFTER you have done it, OK?

Oh my gosh  !!!! You are such brave women. The thought of having to drive ALL that way would have totally petrified me and I know I could NOT have done it. I know I should have a go and maybe I will take the bull by the horns and try it again but I must admit the French drivers do scare me at times, overtaking when a sane person would not attempt it.  I will post if I have the courage to attempt it and thanks for all your encouraging words.

[quote user="Pads"]Val you should try as the rual roads are much better than the roads here, I was so scared but I had to do it as I will be out in france more times than my hubby and there was no way of getting to our house without a car, It was usless trying with him in the car as he kept screaming so I only got about 10mins practise before he was due to leave he drove us to the carpark at toulouse airport and left me there. I was terrified, but I took a deep breath and just did it (lost a few buckets of sweat on the way)[:D][:D] the roads around the motor ways were the worst but once on the motorway I could relax a little , I got back to carcassonne to the super market (went in and spoilt my self to some goodies) and then had 10 mins shaking in the carpark [:D]before driving the rest of the way home. Now Im happy has larry. The best thing is the feeling of independance and the sheer act I DID IT!![:)]   This is why I want to try driving in the UK 

Hubby rang me in the evening and said see I knew you could do it but later confessed he was wetting himself all the way to the states!!      [/quote]

How that post made me laugh...[:D]

But Ill be less smiling when I get in the car in the UK. [:-))]

I WANT to try, and my English "chéri"  is encouraging me to do so , but I know Ill be just like you Pads , sweating buckletfulls [:D]

Yesterday  my partner told me " aww won't be long til the  holidays, great ! We re gonna go there, and there and blablabla, and .. ( with a giggle) you re gonna drive the car  hee hee"

I hate him !! [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]