I m going to drive for the first time in the UK

Frenchie2

I know my question is not in the right place since it is about driving in the UK for me, being French.

At Xmas time , Ill be driving there for the first time, a powerful British car ( I mean with the wheel on the right ), and I am a bit scared in anticipation..

What should I particularly pay attention to ? Roundabouts ?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best piece of advice I got about driving in France is that, as the driver in a left hand drive, I must be towards the middle of the road.

Not literally you understand and not the car as a whole!

Suggest you operate the same principle in the UK while driving a right hand drive and keep yourself in the middle so in any unmarked road situation, you won't be far wrong.

You're in trouble, we have rules to follow! [:P]

1) If you see a person at a zebra crossing (passage piétons?) STOP! As soon as they step out onto the black and white lines you are legally obligated to do so.

2) The rules for UK roundabouts are (I think) the same as the current French rules but they're followed rather more stringently in the UK.

3) Those little orange lights on the four corners of your car are called indicators, we call them this as they indicate your intentions to other drivers: use them! Seriously, UK drivers will expect you to indicate every time you change direction.

Some helpful aspects:

Roundabouts have an arrow telling you which way to go around - it

sounds obvious but when I went back to the UK last year I forgot which direction to take... [:$]

Flashing your lights does not mean "look out - the police are around the corner", it means "allez-y" or, if it's dark, "turn your lights on!".

Roads are helpfully marked with give way (priority) signs: the small road leading onto the big road will usually have a broken white line and a sign saying 'Give Way': no need to guess![:P]

Motorways:

UK autoroutes are not very good and are always being repaired, so expect frequent interruptions.

They are, however, free! Oh, and the overtaking lane (fast lane) is on the right.

That's all I can think of. There's nothing to worry about, road signs are pretty obvious and a car is a car no matter which side the steering wheel is on.  [:)]

Dont worry frenchie , its not as hard as you think it is going to be, I spent last year learning to drive in france the few times I was out there, I was worried sick, So my husband left me in toulouse airport in a hire car and and said find your way home !![:-))] while he walked off to get his flight After I wet my self , I just did it, for me the hardest bit was remenbering which side the gear stick was on,  The advice you were given about remenbering you are in the middle of the road is good , when your turning right or left at a junction, it helps you to remenber which side of the road you should be on, Also you have to give the car in front some space dont zoom up , hang on his taillights then take over its not good manners [Www] Good luck to you , Hope you have a very merry british christmas.  

[quote user="Hoddy"]Where exactly are you going, Frenchie ? Swindon is fun - http://home.san.rr.com/roundabout/english.htm Hoddy[/quote]

I'm going to St Helens ( next to liverpool, ) , and then driving through the Yorshire dales , to Darlington.

The hardest part will probably be St Helens.  The link you sent ( thanks !!) did not work, I will paste and copy it .

MERCI !!

[quote user="Eos"]

The best piece of advice I got about driving in France is that, as the driver in a left hand drive, I must be towards the middle of the road.

Not literally you understand and not the car as a whole!

Suggest you operate the same principle in the UK while driving a right hand drive and keep yourself in the middle so in any unmarked road situation, you won't be far wrong.

[/quote]    Thanks for this piece of advice which I think will be very useful indeed !!

[quote user="Bones"]You're in trouble, we have rules to follow! [:P]   [:D][:D]  OH really ???????

1) If you see a person at a zebra crossing (passage piétons?) STOP! As soon as they step out onto the black and white lines you are legally obligated to do so. In France too !! ( though the vast majority of French drivers don't respect it !! )

2) The rules for UK roundabouts are (I think) the same as the current French rules but they're followed rather more stringently in the UK.

Thanks for that, good to know !

3) Those little orange lights on the four corners of your car are called indicators, we call them this as they indicate your intentions to other drivers: use them! Seriously, UK drivers will expect you to indicate every time you change direction.  I always do !! ( I must be only half French I guess ... ) [:D]

Some helpful aspects:

Roundabouts have an arrow telling you which way to go around - it sounds obvious but when I went back to the UK last year I forgot which direction to take... [:$] [:-))]

Flashing your lights does not mean "look out - the police are around the corner", it means "allez-y" or, if it's dark, "turn your lights on!".  Good to know !!!

Roads are helpfully marked with give way (priority) signs: the small road leading onto the big road will usually have a broken white line and a sign saying 'Give Way': no need to guess![:P]

Motorways:

UK autoroutes are not very good and are always being repaired, so expect frequent interruptions. Good to know too ; thanks.
They are, however, free!  Very good point, when you see the amount of money it takes me to drive to where my parents live .. ( Côte d Azur..)Oh, and the overtaking lane (fast lane) is on the right.  SCARY !!!!!!!!

That's all I can think of. There's nothing to worry about, road signs are pretty obvious and a car is a car no matter which side the steering wheel is on.  [:)]    Thanks a lot, really, for this long post, I appreciate .

[/quote]

[quote user="Pads"]Dont worry frenchie , its not as hard as you think it is going to be,HOPE SO ! I spent last year learning to drive in france the few times I was out there, I was worried sick, So my husband left me in toulouse airport in a hire car and and said find your way home !![:-))] while he walked off to get his flight After I wet my self , I just did it, for me the hardest bit was remenbering which side the gear stick was on, That s one of my worries too The advice you were given about remenbering you are in the middle of the road is good , when your turning right or left at a junction, it helps you to remenber which side of the road you should be on, Also you have to give the car in front some space dont zoom up , hang on his taillights then take over its not good manners When I passed my driving licence in Toulouse, that s what they told us to do !! [:-))] , But now they keep repeating not to do it ....[Www] Good luck to you , Hope you have a very merry british christmas.  [/quote]  I know I will have a wonderful time there, I can't wait.. Counting down days !!!

THANKS !!!

Frenchie

Now, if you really want to fit in and will only be doing 60mph on Motorways (70mph limit) then do as the British do, drive in the middle lane [:@]. This ensures maximum inconvenience to drivers who wish to drive at the legal limit and those who wish to exceed it and normally by a far greater margin than French drivers in France.

By doing this you will ensure that other drivers are aware of you on the road, and this is confirmed by them coming up behind you in the middle lane and flashing their lights - you can be sure that, if you are in a French registered vehicle that this is a 'welcome to Britain' message.

You may also find that some drivers will give a Churchillian two fingured salute but unfortunately, they do not know which way round the hand should be. You may also be given a different gesture using the hand. The response is to smile sweetly and may be even return the compliment.

From my experience you will find British drivers, generally, less tolerant and impatient than French drivers - an example, was over in France at the weekend and pulled up at a pay booth on an Autoroute and there were two cars in front of me. The driver of the car at the pay booth was having a chat with the person in the pay booth and this went on for a couple of minutes. The car in front of me was French registered and the driver just sat waiting patiently for the conversation to end. Now, if that had been Britain then there would have been horns sounding, gestures made (see above) etc.

My advice to you would be to take your time, do not allow yourself to be intimidated (which can be quite common), and relax. It is a bit like riding a bike - once you have learnt how to fall off then it is quite easy falling off from then on.

Paul

I wish you the best of luck and don't want to put you off however I fear that those who make light of the potential "difficulties" you could face may perhaps not be doing you any favours. You're right about St. Helens BTW, I don't think it's a spot I would choose for my first UK driving experience ! 

The sheer level of traffic in the UK means that your driving technique needs to be radically different to that in France. Apart from the challenge of driving on the wrong side of the road whilst also sitting on the wrong side of the car I'm afraid you will likely encounter a level of selfishness, rudeness and sometimes outright aggressiveness, rarely experienced in France. Unfortunately the Christmas spirit frequently fails to extend to the road too.

I think if there is one word to describe how to drive in UK it would be defensively.

Don't allow yourself to be pressured into anything, just smile sweetly and move off only when YOU are ready.

Bones mentioned about headlights; these are solely for being seen and seeing one's way in the dark and there is nothing in the Highway Code about them being used to "indicate" this, that or the other so if someone does flash do not take it to mean anything other than be on extra guard.

One couple of last but important things, NEVER NEVER NEVER leave any valuables in sight in the car. Even the odd pound coin or coins for parking meters left in sight can be sufficient to encourage a scrote to smash a window to get at it/them, and always lock up, even at the petrol station.

The upside is that you will love the trip across the Dales, it can be spectacular and weather permitting, i.e. no significant snow, and you have the time, then do try and explore some or the smaller roads.

Once again good luck, I do hope I haven't frightened you, but hopefully, with a few simple precautions, your first experience of a real English Christmas will be something you remember for the right reasons and not the wrong.

Edit:

After posting noticed that Paul has given similar advice although I would not recommend returning hand gestures except with a disarming friendly wave and smile.[:)]

Thanks a lot for this lovely long post too !!

The problem is no one will think " Oh she s French, that s why" ... ( As the car is a British registered car..)

I won't return any gestures.. except a smile.. [:D]

I won't be there for Christmas, Im leaving just after Christmas, I will be in the UK for the New year then ! [:D]

The first thing that strikes me now on leaving the ferry is the sheer volume of traffic and the speed it travels at. UK drivers do drive much more aggressively than the French but that is because they have to to pull out of junctions. If you wait for the road to clear you could be waiting a very long time. Some of the French drivers around where I live will not pull onto a main road from a junction if they can see anything at all moving in any direction,no matter how far away.

[quote user="pimpernel"]The first thing that strikes me now on leaving the ferry is the sheer volume of traffic and the speed it travels at. UK drivers do drive much more aggressively than the French but that is because they have to to pull out of junctions. If you wait for the road to clear you could be waiting a very long time. Yes,    so I ve been told..... I will have to join in then .....

Some of the French drivers around where I live will not pull onto a main road from a junction if they can see anything at all moving in any direction,no matter how far away.[/quote]

I tend to do the same here if I have the time;.... On n est jamais trop prudent!! [:D]

A few more observations if I may.

Max speed limit on motorways is 120 KPH not 130.  I know you will be in a British car but 70mph my feel a bit slow.

Go ANTI-CLOCKWISE around roundabouts

Turn left - stay left

Turn right - stay right

Yeah I know that's obvious until the one time you come along a single track road and turn into a 2-way without thinking - as a Belgium guy did to me once!!! actually he came out of a filling station and just took the wrong side of the road.  Apparently most accidents involving 'foreigners' happen near the ferry ports on the return journey so keep your guard up - it's really no different from driving anywhere

[quote user="aj_dr"]

Loads of good advice has been given. Just don't forget there are far more speed cameras in the UK than in France, like one round every corner!!

aj
[/quote]

Oh thanks, yes, I ve been told so, but you re never too much aware... [;-)]

All the more as I got " flashed at a radar" on my way ti Limoges airport on last friday................  got the fine 45 euros if I pay within 15 days.. I thought  it would have been much more ...... [Www]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Max speed limit on motorways is 120 KPH not 130.  I know you will be in a British car but 70mph my feel a bit slow.

Turn left - stay left   I will write this down on my hands !! 

Turn right - stay right  

Yeah I know that's obvious until the one time you come along a single track road and turn into a 2-way without thinking - as a Belgium guy did to me once!!! actually he came out of a filling station and just took the wrong side of the road.  Apparently most accidents involving 'foreigners' happen near the ferry ports on the return journey so keep your guard up - it's really no different from driving anywhere

[/quote]  In fact Im flying , and once there I ll get the car. At the beginning I won't be driving, just observing, my partner is British so he will show me , but then he insists it is high time now for me to drive there . ( I never dared ...)

He says if I want to have something in the fridge, I WILL HAVE to drive to the local Tesco ( 4 miles away .......... ) [:D][:-))]

He s right, I need to take the pludge !  [8-)][:D] Or go on a diet   !!  [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Turn left - stay left

Turn right - stay right [/quote]

But I go anti-clockwise round roundabouts here in France, and so does everyone who lives in my locality. Surely Frenchie will need to go clockwise round roundabouts in the UK - or they did last time I was there last Xmas. I agree with the turn left, stay left; though not the turn right stay right.

Sue

The basic stuff comes surprisingly naturally.

Increased traffic can add pressure, but you may be used to that - Paris, for example,  is not exactly uninhabited.

In fact, having little or no traffic presents a very real risk, in that your mind tends to switch off.

So if you have been parked for a while - e.g. for lunch - you really need to remind yourself of where you are before setting off again on the wrong side of the road. Similarly, if you have left the main highway to travel down a quiet lane - there still are some! - it is very easy to rejoin the main road on the wrong side.

Last year we thought it would be novel to try out a UK Formule 1 - in Doncaster. It was exactly the same as a French Formule 1, so much so that when we left there I set off on the right hand side of the road, fortunately realising my mistake (or rather having it pointed out to me!!!!) before being confronted with something coming straight towards us. 

[quote user="spg"][quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Turn left - stay left

Turn right - stay right [/quote]

But I go anti-clockwise round roundabouts here in France, and so does everyone who lives in my locality. Surely Frenchie will need to go clockwise round roundabouts in the UK - or they did last time I was there last Xmas. I agree with the turn left, stay left; though not the turn right stay right.

Sue

[/quote]

oh Jeez I am so sorry

Sue is perfectly correct - just ignore me please