Breathalyzer (non)availability

Daktari

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Val_2"]Around here the local gendarmerie are all in bed before midnight and don't come out unless its a big emergency.Therefore they are not going to be on every road when all the local pi**pots come trundling home in their sans permis knocking down walls and in some cases last year, running over themselves cos they forgot to put the parking brake on! My daughter and her friend came home late a few years ago with her friend's father driving and because it was icy they skidded off the road in the next village and into the side of a house.They walked ten mins to the local gendarmerie to be met by the chef sergent in his PJ's telling them to come back next day as it was too late to come out and no one was injured![/quote]

Mr Clair has worked night shifts over the last few years and has been stopped several times on his way to and from work, odd hours, like around 4 am or 11 pm. He'd be asked where he came from (work) and waved on.

Not once has he been asked to blow.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

The point is Jo is that they are for personal testing prior to driving and absolutely nothing else.

Isn't the whole point to educate people as how little you actually can drink before you are over the limit......?[/quote]No, that might be a side effect but it's not the prime purpose. I think most responsible adults will be pretty well aware of that anyway.

As I've said before though driving a smidge over the DD limit is not the same as drunk driving, a fact which double underlines the pointlessness of this law.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Russethouse"]Isn't the whole point to educate people as how little you actually can drink before you are over the limit......?[/quote]

... I think most responsible adults will be pretty well aware of that anyway.[/quote]

I have to disagree with AnOther here.

Going by what I have been told on many occasions, it would appear that many adults disregard their WINE consumption and consider SPIRITS the only alcohol to be taken into consideration when assessing their drinking habit.

Neighbour: "So and So has stopped drinking!"

Me: "Has he? Why does the wine merchant deliver to his house every month?"

Neighbour: "That's only for wine... That's for his meals. But he doesn't drink apéritifs or digestifs anymore!"

I've heard that one so often it does seem to be the norm...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[quote user="tonyinfrance"]

We're off to the Mayenne area for the weekend - anyone know where inexpensive breathalyzers might be found between Dieppe and Gorron?

Thanks

[/quote]The given wisdom on here seems to be the local supermarket but we have yet to spot one in SuperU or Intermarche locally.  They want 8.50 for a single test on Amazon France so I confess that, as yet, I have not invested as there seems to be some sort of leeway until the autumn.

• 4 weeks later...
We're coming over next week. The plan was to exit Eurotunnel and go directly to Auchan at Coquelles to buy a breathalyser kit.

A pal of mine, admittedly in the Vendée, tells me there aren't any around. Is this true and has anyone been stopped?

Because the regulations are not going to be enforced before November, I shouldn't bother!

If you plan to return later in the year, and you happen to see one whilst shopping, it's probably worth buying, but they have a finite shelf-life, so not worth stocking up for next year.

Incidentally, they are on sale (NF certified) on Amazon.uk for around £5.50 for a twin pack

[quote user="Théière"]

Still living on the edge Benjamin [;-)]

[/quote]

For sure. If there's a risk to be taken I'm your man.[:-))]

So, no more info on breathalyser kits. I suppose until November 1 it's not worth stopping anyone as they can't collect the fines.

Last time I looked, both the supermarkets and motor repair people had run out of the things so I wouldn't worry this summer as the gendarmes don't seem to be stopping people and anyway, if you get a warning, that is fine. If they reappear in the Vendée, I can always get you a couple and post them, Benji.

Friend (British in Brit car)  was stopped just outside our village and breathalised on July 18th. No problem he was not over the limit in any way. Did the gendarmes ask to see the breathaliser kit ? which incidentally he had, NO they did not!

errm we have yet to source this item for our car.[;-)]