How did you find your French house/what research did you do to make sure it was the right one for you?

odile

For us, we knew where we wanted to look, and we knew more or less what we were looking FOR. Although as a couple we disagree about many things, oddly, we both seem to know exactly when a house is right for us. We've never disagreed on property. So the whole househunting process from start to signing the compromis took us one visit to France and about 4 days (increased because of Easter Monday). Haven't ever regretted the decision. I've subsequently bought a flat in the UK which OH hadn't even seen.....but we knew that if I thought it was right, we'd both agree. We didn't rush into the decision (in our terms, anyway) or decide "on the spot"...we viewed a few more houses and came back to this one because it was what we wanted.

well

i set myself a budget, picked an area, in my case,within easy driving distance of calais for weekend stays.

i then googled the area and came up with an immobilier and studied his site.

i then came over for a couple of day trips and bought the 1st house id looked at, having found it on line.

easy money for the estate agent huh

kim

Kim I suppose it is different if it is a week-end house. but for those moving lock stock and .. family, kids? Finding out about schools, etc. Somebody on another forum asked for help with finding a school for 15 year old son- the day before school started! Moving to a different area is a huge decision- and moving abroad, especially if you and family don't speak the language well.

We did a fair bit of research online and on this forum.

For the house, again the internet. We found it, asked the immobilier for a plan of the house (which surprisingly he took a while to provide), asked for a builder to make sure it was structurally sound, put an offer in and it was accepted. The first time we saw it in real life was 30 minutes after we had paid for it.

Was a risk to do it this way, but we didn't pay much for the property (€68k) and living in Australia, we could easily have clocked up a €10k bill just by coming over to France look for a while, so we figured it was worth a risk doing it this way. If it didn't work out, the worst that would happen is we sell up and go back to Oz.  Plus it was all part of the adventure. I think everyone has to do something reckless at least once in their lives.

Been here for 3 years, love the house, the view and the village we are in. I don't think we could have picked better if we had have come over! Ours has been a success story, but of course it could have easily become a nightmare.

We came over for two weeks and toured the SW from the Limousin to the Aude and over to Landes.

From this we decided near the Pyrenees and drew up a list of requirements.

Then followed searching the Immobilier sites on the Internet and arranging viewings. We soon discovered that, at times, the description did not portray the house and sometimes wondered how they had got the house to look the way they did.

We would fly over for a long weekend, week or a fortnight. All in all many visits.

Overall, we looked at about 200 houses (certainly different when looking for somewhere that will become permanent rather than a holiday home). Some agents thought we might like - and sometimes I think they just took us so that the vendor thought they were doing something because they were nothing like we were looking for.

Our final 'looking' visit was a long weekend. I had spotted a large house that the description said was a little isolated so booked to see it. Also found others to look at - I stress not to pass the time and waste agents time but because they looked as though they might fit the bill. We landed and rushed to see the first on the list and it certainly did appeal. Went to look at the one that we had originally come over for and discovered it was far from isolated but with overlooking neighbours all round. We returned for a second look at the first house. The agent also took us to look at another they thought might appeal - it did not. We liked the area and also looked at 3 parcels of land.

We returned and decided to put an offer in on the house and that was it.

We had expected to be in a dilemma following our first actual looking expedition but it was not like that. We would return from our trips a little downhearted. However, the key thing was to get the right house.

Paul

We spent about 5 weeks travelling from East to West, Ardech to Midi Pyrenees, (we were definitely NOT interested in Dordogneshire!) viewing maybe 60 or 70 properties along the way but half decided the moment we

clapped eyes on the house we finally bought and if it had not been the first of 3 or 4 we

were scheduled to view that day might have made our minds up completely

there and then. We have no immediate neighbours so no worries there but in the event of the two we do have one couple turned out to be English and the other elderly French and are perfect.

I still recall the feelings of doubt and mild

panic once we had made an offer and signed the compromis but I think

that's natural and we don't regret our choice for a second.

At

the opposite end of the scale you hear of people who have been

searching for years but still not found their 'dream' house, probably

because it doesn't exist !

Had spent one or two months every year travelling round France in my motorhome over a period of about 10 years. Not consciously looking at houses at first, just having a great holiday. Got to know different regions so when I was ready to move, had a pretty good idea where to start looking. Ended up buying a house in a place I had visited many years previously - recently I looked back in my holiday diary for that year and found I had written 'cute little town, big town square, pretty houses, worth re-visiting.'

We decided to have a look one January, when returning from Spain.

Our location and 'must have' list said

South of the Loire, (the weather is better)

Reasonably near an Airport, (we still had aging parents to visit)

Old stone-built,

Some land,

And NOT in a 'brit' enclave [:D]

Poitiers has an all-year round campsite than could accomodate our 36' Winnebago and car trailer and that seemed like a good point to start a search.

We spent two months driving around looking at dozens of properties, some would have got the agents in court in the UK under the trade descriptions act [:)]. We finally settled with one agent who we felt really comfortable with and stuck with them.

We found a Maison de Maitre that was just perfect, apart from the owners, who, to cut a long story short, mucked us about to a point that even our agent told them to 'bu**er off.

I remember being a bit fed up at that time, its pretty traumatic buying property.

Anyway, a phonecall two days later about a property that had just come on the market, and off we went to see it.

It was, for us, a jaw-dropping experience, as although a bit shabby exterior-wise, it was exactly what we were looking for. Old stone-built farmhouse, five acres of land, including a wood and 200 metres of river bank (40 metres below us so no flooding worries)

The purchase went through with no problems, apart from the exchange rate causing an £8k increase in the price from when we agreed to buy (nothing new there then).

Six years later and we are still very happy with our situation.

Gary.

As a friend had a catalogue from the then only Immo in Combourg,we looked at the properties and couldn't believe the low prices. The advantage of having B.F. just 10 mins away at Poole and then doing 24hr trips for 2+car for about £25;it was 19 years ago: we soon short listed about 10 to view. The Immo.Michel.P. was brilliant and of our 10 discarded 6  and explained why. Viewed the remaining 3 and put an offer in for a 3 story granit built house+field +courtyard for the grand sum of £14k. Enjoyed working holidays:we were younger then;and follwing a heart attack my wife decided no more France and renovations. Sold it for a very good profit,no tax to pay but the Notaire kept the cash for 5 months while the Franc was in freefall. Next trip saw a Longere on the Bay d M.St.M. did loads of work,busy B&B in the 6 weeks summer[still working in UK but off contract for about 3 months each year] Couldn't stand the wind and the winter,sold it at a good profit,no tax. Bought a very small house nearer St.Malo to renovate and immediately found the benefits of being near to all services/restaurants/doc's etc.etc. and decided to buy a decent sized house and move ,selling up completely in UK. We have countryside outside the gate,beaches all around,lovely walks,choice of 4 bun shops and all other shops, markets,services.near to Dinan,Dinard and Dol,easy access to B.F. at St.Malo;5 mins;Airport at Rennes 45mins Dinard 15mins.and easy 2 1/2 hrs to Cherbourg.On a busy tourist route to St.Suliac and had a busy 5 years B&B in the season.

May I add,not wanting to miss a chance,that after 6 happy years here and now retired, we are looking for a smaller property nearby and this house is  now FOR SALE.

Regards.

I don't know what the official figure is for the average number of properties viewed in the UK before people make a decision , but I would  bet it is a low single one.

When buying abroad it seems such a more difficult decision , choice of area , amenities , climate , not to mention (if its not just a holiday home ) the decision to move to foreign country.

Its the uncertainty and lack of information that forces people to look at the amount of properties that they do.

Realised we wanted to buy a property in about 1996 because just renting holiday cottages was "not enough". Found an area we really liked and where we then rented gites. Haunted the immo and notaire windows so got a good idea of prices. Didn't actually view anything because we didn't have finance in place so would have been a waste of everyone's time. In June 1999, stayed in a gite with beautiful views. Noticed that there was a house in the next field which didn't look inhabited. Climbed over the fence and walked round the outside. Looked at the views. Tracked down the owners and wrote to them asking whether the house might be for sale. They said yes. Viewed it internally in October, agreed a price early in 2000 and completed mid-2000.

Ours probably wasn't a typical experience. [;-)]

[quote user="ErnieY"]

At

the opposite end of the scale you hear of people who have been

searching for years but still not found their 'dream' house, probably

because it doesn't exist !

[/quote]

I think some people "pursue the dream"... they don't necessarily want to achieve it. The fun is in the dreaming, not in making it reality.

After a number of years holidaying in France (20+) we decided that we would really like to buy here (but only as a second home).  We looked at a number of properties and several areas between 2001 and 2005 (from Normandy and Britanny along the west coast and down to the Pyrenees).  Although we had always spent holidays near to the sea (with young children), we finally decided this wasn't a major issue  If you have to drive 20 minutes it may as well be an hour or two (kids hate sand anyway and prefer a pool). 

We finally settled on the Dordogne as we loved the pretty villages and the beautiful scenery.  We had several trips out here and fell in love with the place we eventually bought, nearly three years ago, our house in St Pantaly d'Ans.  One worry we had was that we would be tied to holidaying in France but far from it.  We joined a home exchange programme and, courtesy of our home in France, we are now holidaying all over the world. We don't think we will ever move to France permanently (we enjoy life in the UK too much) but its a lovely bolt hole to escape to from the pressures of work.

Great stories all - and so happy to know you feel happy with your choices. Interesting that nobody has replied with a 'horror' story - because reading other threads, there are plenty out there, sadly. I posted because it seems some people buy after seeing a house only once, quickly, and with little knowledge of the area. Even with cheaper prices, it is still a BIG buy and selling back could be a real problem if area not up to scratch.

Chose South Vendee for the micro climate .....chose the villages I wanted to be near  ....all  within 10 minutes of the beaches ....just far enough inland to avoid the tourist masses  ....Consentrated on the local estate agents to find me what I wanted ....a bungalow old Vendeen type with  2  double bedrooms  and with just enough land that I  can deal with it  without having to spend all day fighting the undergrowth and can  then sit in the shade of the  tree  in the middle of the back  lawn....Waited  three years... then the right one "came along ".... in the right place... at the right price .... could say  " comes to he who waits " .... I dont intend to do anymore than see my days  out  using the place as much as I can ... after which the kids and grandchildren can have the use of it to continue enjoying staying  France as they do now . 

[quote user="Northender"]

Its the uncertainty and lack of information that forces people to look at the amount of properties that they do.

[/quote]

Wholeheartedly agree.

If it was the UK then people may have looked on the Internet, got the address of a possible house, been to look at the exterior and locality before contacting the agent.

Different system in France - it is only when the agent take you to see it that you realise it is not for you.

I too spent my years touring France from the mid 70s to the late 80s and after all that time all I could think about was boy would I like to live here.

Then come the turn of the century I was forced to take early retirement, health prob’s and this was when I formed my plan of action, I bought my first computer and spent a lot of time searching until I found the suitable region in the Deux Sevre, then spent 3 fortnightly stints for several years viewing various properties.

Then in late October 04 after more wasted viewing we ended up in a bar in this town for a café where the agent realized that there was a property here that we could go and view.

He quickly phoned the owner who then arrived half an hour later, as we entered the house one of the agents standing along side me whispered to me that my chin was dragging on the floor. We had walked into a beautiful big bright dinning room, spotlessly clean and well decorated and the rest of the house was the same.

I am now living in this same house and am very happy, even though it still has some of the earlier residents here. And I am not joking ! ! !

We searched for three or four years,albeit we had to change our strategy part way through!

Ended up buying an empty barn and not the habitable house we had decided would be best for us!!!

Had quite a rapport with our agent,regular meetings at shows and viewings when in the area etc.

It all came down to buying with the heart and not the head (as we had promised ourselves ) in the end. The agent took us to a couple of houses he thought suitable,which weren't.Then he said he would show us a barn in a small hamlet,when we walked in, we just looked at each other and said this is it!!!!!!!!!!!

Three years later we have a lovely house and yes it came out to about 1 1/2 times the original estimates,but we have no regrets really,other than the fact we cannot live there full time as yet. Will be over next week hopefully, to sort out some more jobs and just enjoy being there though.

Johnnyboy.

I had been out there for a few holidays as my brother had a place in the area .... I decided I wanted a place , took my hubby out for a weeks holiday , we spent the week in the company of estate agents ... we fell in love with a place , brought it.Had the first exchange done in 2 days. We arnt the type to agonise over a decision , if we want to do some thing we just do it.  3 years later we are very happy, love our house and plan to retire they ASAP ... [:)]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Âme"]It has occurred to me that, Euro for Euro, I've spent far longer trying on a pair of shoes than viewing a house.[/quote]What with your avatar and this message are we to deduce that you have something of a shoe fetish [:P] [:D]

[/quote]

Sorry for the delayed reaction, I only just spotted this question, which, made me smile... was busy checking out the latest from Manolo & Jimmy. [:P] [;-)]  I also rather liked the Uppercase luggage, in the link that you posted elsewhere. Lush luggage. I'll have to come up with an accessories av quote. In the mean time, you can call me Imelda. [Www]

We bought our first house here in 1989, through a French estate agent, and we used it as a family holiday house as well as letting it for a couple of months during the summer to pay for its keep. We hoped to move France permanently one day as we have always loved it here - the people, the culture and the

language.

When we made the decision to come over permanently, we decided to live in the same area as our holiday house which by then we had sold. We knew the area very well and it didn't take us long to find what we wanted. As we had already been through the purchase of our first house, there were no real mysteries when we bought our current house nearly 12 years ago.

Mr Callie's French was excellent, mine...er....less so. But we never hesitated to ask people to go through things with us and explain anything we didn't understand.

The most important thing we learnt was : If you don't ask the question, the French will not volunteer the information!! We very quickly realised that all questions must be "open" questions !!

1998 decided it would be practical to emigrate ca. 2005, so started basic research ... which country?

Possibles were France, Italy & Spain (Belgium had some real tax advantages but vetoed by my wife ... saved me doing so ... apologies to any Belgians reading this).

2000 settled on France - my wife had always had a hankering to live here (ever since spending a year here as an assistante in a lycée way back when) and French (apart from English) is the only language we have in common (I have Spanish and neither of us Italian).

2000-2003 researching possible areas ... 2002-3 false start with Pau region. Settled on Aveyron (turned out to be almost certainly the right choice for us, also the no.1 choice among French "seniors" in a huge 2005/6 sondage).

2004 & 2005 ... settled on 2006 (May) as time to move (rather than 2005 - younger son having decided to take an unexpected gap year) ... started making quarterly visits covering the whole of the département N-S & E-W (and even a bit beyond - particularly Albi) and seeing places in all weather conditions.

2005 November ... still hadn't settled on a specific part of Aveyron, panic beginning to set in and decided we had better find somewhere to rent fairly central so that we could continue the hunt at our leisure after the move in 2006 (May date now set in stone).

2005 end November ... one of the internet sites we had eventually uncovered (after getting past all the English ones and those dealing with holiday lets) showed an "interesting-looking" property to rent not all that far from Rodez. Put it on a short-list (of one) to look at on our next visit (first week Dec).

2005 December ... lousy weather ... looked at this place (the short-listed one) and one other - the other was obviously far more practical (just on the edge of Rodez as opposed to a smallish hamlet of 100 souls or so with not so much as a boulangerie) but it was pointless even thinking about it ... we knew this was the place for us the moment we walked through the front door (the front exterior is not especially prepossessing but the interior is and the rear view simply wonderful), so we set about going through all the hoops needed to rent the place (and there were many because the agency concerned had had very bad experiences with previous "Brit" clients, so they placed every known obstacle in our path, maybe even some new ones). We overcame all the obstacles and, after three or four visits (état des lieux, bail - signed in Feb, delivery of new bed and kitchen equipment, FT line, ADSL, etc), we finally moved in (arriving the night before our 17 ton removal van - which we saw parked up just off the A75, having dumped over 12 tons of stuff in the period 2000-2006)  for good in May 2006. Since when we have not bothered looking - we are happy here, don't want to move and the vastly superior French rental system means it is very unlikely that we would ever need to (at least until we lose our mobility ... or Sterling sinks below parity).