First Tax Declaration - Form 3916 Queries

Tazio77

The Tax FAQ has been a real help, along with all the time and effort people have put into asking/answering other Tax queries.

My problem is with the Form 3916, I've down loaded it and put it through Google's translate, but still don't really understand it.

My questions are?:-

1.  Do I need a separate 3916 for each and every bank account and savings bond held?

2. Where on the form do I actually put the details of the account numbers held?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Alan

I am also struggling with 3916 and as Tazio I tried it through a translator but it did not make much sense.

Followed Clair's link but that did not help.

What would be good would be a step by step guide .If some kind person knows of one ?

It seems that the 3916 is not used much now and many of us have never done one or been asked to complete one.  We were not asked to do one when we declared first time at our Tax office although declaring interest on savings.

Officially you should do them but what is more important is that you truthfully declare all the interest received.  You can do as Dr O suggests if you want, but as far as I can make out, and its not the easiest form to complete is it? -  (what does Qualité mean in Box 1?)  -  it looks like all you have to do as an individual is fill in your name and address at the top and the name and address of the Bank/Building Society and your account number at the bottom. If the account is in the name of someone else on your tax return you fill in 2.1 and do one form for each account.

Thanks everyone, the murk is clearing a little...lol.

After looking through the 2042 and 2047 forms I do have a couple more questions.

Form 2042

Lieu de naissance -  Under Dept Number, should this be '99'?

Adresse -  What does etage, esc. bat. and  nbre of pieces mean?

Form 2047

I'm confused with building society interest, the FAQ's says 'Put the gross figure in Column 5 under Royaume Uni', I can find a column number 5 but where does the Royaume Uni come in?

Finally, I arrived here mid August 2007, and received some final dribs and drabs of part time pay (UK tax paid), should this be included?

I feel a real duffer....but thanks for your patience.

Alan

[quote user="LesLauriers"]On a blank piece of paper write the name and address of the bank / building society etc, then the name / names of account holders and account numbers.

If you read your form 2042 it states "joignez la declaration no 3916 ou la liste des comptes sur papier libre"[/quote]

Can you confirm that the form we are talking about here is 3916 as I'm looking at my form 2042 and it refers to a form 3116 or am i confused once again ! thanks in advance, Christina

Form 3916 is the one to declare foreign bank accounts, If you use this form you will need to complete one for each account that you have, or as suggested write the details of all your accounts on a sheet of paper and send them to the Impots.

When I first declared my tax in France, I called into the tax office and asked for the three forms.  They gave me the 2047 and the 2042, but they had no idea what the 3916 was. 

After I'd explained it was for declaring foreign bank accounts, they went off and searched the cupboards, but couldn't find any.  After a while, I pulled out my typewritten list and said, "Will this do you?"

"Er...OK.  Looks fine...thanks....".

I believe that they were introduced years ago when the exchange controls were in place and have never been withdrawn.  I've never bothered with one since...

I have to apologize for a misstatement on this topic - quite a long time ago, so maybe it's been forgotten, but just in case...

I said that the requirement for form 3916 (or an equivalent list on plain paper) refers only to "comptes", and expressed the opinion that it probably means any kind of financial asset; for instance, an account with a lawyer or a broker or any other agent).

Actually the detailed instruction sheets ("brochures pratiques") do state comptes bancaires, and that phrase also appears on form 2042, where you are supposed to tick box UU if you have any of them.  So it looks as though other kinds of asset can be ignored.  No need to declare the gold bars that your brother-in-law in Spain is looking after for you, or the bearer bonds that you left with that nice lawyer in the Cayman Islands.

Having said that, it seems odd that the French authorities would not want you to declare foreign financial assets of all kinds: partly because of the possible wealth tax, and partly because of the general obsession with money-laundering.  I wonder if there is some general requirement to disclose such things, independent of the tax return.

One would imagine that the 3916 is used to reconcile the stated existence of a foreign account to the fact that earnings have been declared against it.  However, given that the 2047/2042 merely asks for consolidated figures, I'm not sure of its present value.

In terms of wealth tax (L'impôt de solidarité sur la fortune), the onus is on the individual to make a separate annual declaration (form 2725) if the total of their qualifying assets exceeds the threshold.

As per normal, if it's your first declaration, you obtain the form from your tax office (or download it).  If you've previously declared for ISF, they send you a prerempli version in the post.

tazio

did you ever find an answer to your lieu de naissance and appartement questions? i'm stuck on the same bits!

for the first one, do you pop 'tonbridge, angleterre' (if, like me you happen to have been born there!) on the 'lieu de naissance' line...... or just pop '99' next to dept and nothing next to commune?

for the second, do you leave the entire 'appartement' line blank if it's a house?!

[:)]

[quote user="Tazio77"]

Thanks everyone, the murk is clearing a little...lol.

After looking through the 2042 and 2047 forms I do have a couple more questions.

Form 2042

Lieu de naissance -  Under Dept Number, should this be '99'?

Adresse -  What does etage, esc. bat. and  nbre of pieces mean?

Form 2047

I'm confused with building society interest, the FAQ's says 'Put the gross figure in Column 5 under Royaume Uni', I can find a column number 5 but where does the Royaume Uni come in?

Finally, I arrived here mid August 2007, and received some final dribs and drabs of part time pay (UK tax paid), should this be included?

I feel a real duffer....but thanks for your patience.

Alan

[/quote]

[quote user="squidge"]

for the first one, do you pop 'tonbridge, angleterre' (if, like me you happen to have been born there!) on the 'lieu de naissance' line...... or just pop '99' next to dept and nothing next to commune?

[/quote]

Dept=99 Commune=Angleterre (or where ever)

[quote user="squidge"]

for the second, do you leave the entire 'appartement' line blank if it's a house?!

[/quote]

Yes

Lieu de naissance = Place of birth, put   99 in Dept & in commune put Royaume-Uni

"étage esc. bat."  etc only apply if you live in a block of flats or appartments and refer to which floor, staircase, building name etc.

Am following the info and posts so far.  But why 99 for departement?  What's so special about 99?  I wasn't born in any departement; I was born in a town, in a state, in a country.  But, why was everyone else born in dept 99?

It's my birthday today so my brain is one year older than it was this time last year.

[quote user="Clair"]99 is used to indicate a place of birth outside French territory.

Happy birthday S17![:D]

(I'll be a year older tomorrow...[:'(])
[/quote]

Happy Birthday to you both! It's mine tomorrow. My daughter is coming over today for the week-end.

Didn't Pads say her birthday is in May? Obviously some of the best people have May birthdays!

Errrhmmm  Didn't a certain "feline" moderator give poor old Benjamin a good old roughing up over taking serious threads relating to tax off topic? [:P]

Should the same feline mod give Clair a similar roughing up........  a mod cat fight, can I watch[:D]