my bread machine woes and now it has a legal angle!

menthe

Hmmm where do I start?  OK at the beginning.  After my bread machine questions on this forum and considerable reflection, I decided on a new one.

Bought a German machine via Amazon and even took out an extended guarantie.  Tried it with my usual recipe, bread was uncooked and inedible.  Had to go out and leave it to cool.  In the meantime, OH took the disgusting results and threw it out.

Only thing is, he threw the whole thing out, bread with embedded blades (2 blades).

Wrote to the manufacturer (and seller, Gmb) via Amazon, asking to BUY 2 new blades.  Back came the answer, no, we do not have spare parts, sorry.

So, I have a brand new machine that is of no use at all, not even for kneading, that I might have to take to the déchetterie.  I thought all new machines had to be reparable and have spare parts?

I should have just said the blades were missing and I'd have got a new machine.  Honesty might be the best policy but it's certainly an expensive one.

Anyone has any suggestion for my annoying problem?

Martin, it was only bought last week.  Tried it on the same day.  Just feel a bit miffed that the manufacturer was so offhand.  I accept it was our own fault and will pay for replacements.

Thought that surely, with our eco policies, it would be possible to replace detachable blades?

Disappointed as I'd bought a lot of things from this company.  Will try the extended guarantie next, it is after all a "sinistre" and not intentional.

Wooly, he threw the bread, without tearing it up, over the hedge into the orchard next door.  Been round looking but no luck so far.

Does anyone know whether I am right in thinking that all new equipment of this sort now have to be legally reparable or the parts available for replaceme

4 hours ago, Lori said:

You could try to find a second hand model.  Leboncoin, Ebay, etc.

I presume the trash has already been disposed of.

Lori, I wish he'd thrown the bread in the trash!  Unfortunately, he threw it over the hedge and we simply could not find them in the next field where he said the bread landed.

Lori, what a useful link!  Thank you.

Have sent all the info on their request form.  Before I read your link, I had also written to Arebos UK asking if they could advise or help me.  I said I knew it wasn't their problem but that if they could help, it would be appreciated.

Do you get frustrating days when everybody/company/bank etc etc that you ring are for one reason or another unable to help?

I've just had one of those days and I have set this afternoon aside to "sort out a few things"!  If only.....

47 minutes ago, menthe said:

Do you get frustrating days when everybody/company/bank etc etc that you ring are for one reason or another unable to help?

YES !

I've come to the conclusion that if and when I MIGHT find someone, anyone, anywhere who is able and willing to help or even try to help, I am overjoyed and shocked.

It's today's world and it is universal.

I hope you find a solution.  I find it hard to figure out why the bread would have disappeared.  Do you think and animal carted it off (paddles and all) to eat elsewhere ??

Yes, I do think an animal could have carried it away.

It is unlike OH.  I expected him to break up the bread before discarding it.  If he had done that, he'd have found the blades but there we are.

I still think it unbelievable that a big company like this would in such a cavalier fashion say sorry we have no spare parts.  For a machine that is not even a week old, for heaven's sake!

14 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Looked up Arebos UK and they seem to do just one breadmaker.

https://www.arebos.co.uk/en_gb/home-living/kitchen/bread-maker/bread-maker-1500g-white.html

Replacement paddles for Arebos breadmaker - (model number unspecified as they probably only do one model)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166271475789

Wow, you found paddles, Harnser, thank you for your efforts.

I have already emailed the UK company and the bidding for those on ebay is now closed.  But now I do know that paddles are available.  I have also contacted Amazon to complain about the company and awaiting results from the link that Lori provided.

It's good to see that the ready help and generosity of their time of our forum community are alive and well.  This feels so much like old times.  Does anyone else think that the forum did indeed have a "golden age"?

We ran breadmaker(s) for about 4-5 years after coming to France  and found that the paddles/stirrers and the shaft and seals that turns them wear out quite quickly  at a rate of 2-3 loaves per 7 days. So it makes sense to buy a well known  mainstream make where repair parts are readily available. We stopped making our own complet loaves because we could get a decent complet loaf from Aldi. Now they have changed their supplier so that their complet loaves are the same as Lidl which are not really complet. So we may go back to using a bread maker again if we can find a source of wholewheat flour.

12 hours ago, menthe said:

Does anyone else think that the forum did indeed have a "golden age"?

Without a doubt, but I think it was many years ago.  Now, there are SO many social media platforms, I think people just go to ones that suit their style.  This one has made so many changes over the years that it became difficult to sign-in, post, etc.  I don't think that helped.

Still, as you say Menthe, there are still some folks here who are willing to lend a hand.  That is always nice to see.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cajal said:

This paddle claims to be compatible with Arebos. They are a legit outfit- I sourced a paddle connector for our Panasonic from them.

Arebos Paddle

Thank you, cajal.  I still have my Panasonic which does still work (except the bread does not turn out as formerly, high and fluffy) and tried that paddle which doesn't fit the Arebos at all.

Actualy Harnser, it's not that the paddles are nowhere to be found.  The point is that a very large company like GmbH should have spares for their machines.  They are playing silly b*****s and this morning have repeated that they have no spares.  Frankly, I think the bar stewards are lying.  Hey ho, what can you expect these days?

Will return to Amazon, just to annoy the vendeurs and then speak to the extended guarantie😜 company, also just to make it obvious I am not happy with this company's after sales non service.

Will do a few more things until I myself am so annoyed that I give up

Bread making .. and makers.. well, I gave up with mine the day I retrieved it from the back of the cupboard as Covid struck and everything disappeared off the shelves. I only ever did the dough in it, anyhow, as I could never get the paddles out, nor did I like they way it baked the bread!  But this time, the machine made the correct noises, everything worked, but the paddles did not go round!  So it's back in the cupboard, and I looked up bread recipes, espcially no-knead ones, and now I do just that. Mix the flour, yeast, olive oil and water together, make into a rough wettish paste, and leave it to rise.  When it's risen - I cook it.  Might not pass eveyone's taste tests, but it works for me.   Takes about 5-10 mins to mix it all up, and then whatever time it needs to cook (30 mins roughly as I only make small loaves).

Edited by Judith

2 hours ago, Lori said:

Without a doubt, but I think it was many years ago.  Now, there are SO many social media platforms, I think people just go to ones that suit their style.  This one has made so many changes over the years that it became difficult to sign-in, post, etc.  I don't think that helped.

Still, as you say Menthe, there are still some folks here who are willing to lend a hand.  That is always nice to see.

Lori, you are right about the changes over the years.  Just when you think you have settled into a new format, they go changing it again....for the WORSE!

I think the present format is the pits.  I couldn't log on for months and months without going through a 5-step procedure.  If I wasn't so sentimentally fond of the forum and if I didn't still find loads of ready help and lovely friendly folk, I'd give it up altogether.

For all its faults, however, there are still many familiar "faces" and "voices" and I always feel that I am amongst "friends" when I open the forum to find out what's new.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, menthe said:

"The point is that a very large company like GmbH should have spares for their machines."

Errm - cough cough

What Is GmbH?

GmbH is an abbreviation of the German phrase “Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung,” which means “company with limited liability.” It’s a suffix used after a private limited company’s name in Germany (vs. AG, for aktiengesellschaft, which is used to indicate a public limited company).1 GmbH is the equivalent of LLC (limited liability company), used in the United States, or Ltd. (limited), used in the United Kingdom, and is the most common form of incorporation in Germany.

1 hour ago, menthe said:

2 hours ago, menthe said:

Thank you, cajal.  I still have my Panasonic which does still work (except the bread does not turn out as formerly, high and fluffy) and tried that paddle which doesn't fit the Arebos at all.

Did you try the 'Arebos Paddle' link I posted?

You will find that it takes you to a page on Vente-Pieces-Menager's site where the paddle displayed, is on sale for €11.50 and the description states:- Cette pale de pétrissage est conçue pour les machines à pain Arebos, Lagrange et Silvercrest (voir liste des modèles compatibles dans les détails de l'article).