The pound is on the brink

Chancer

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could almost laugh at this as its so typical of the story of my life really.

When I recently sold my bike I decided to put the money into a Livret A, as the exchange rate was poor.

Now I can watch the value of that small investment go down.

Just you wait, Bugs!

Today, Cameroon is to announce how really bad things are in terms of UK's fiscal chaos and deficit.

Now, pragmatically, "The Markets" should greet such honesty with delight: since addressing any problem and developing a subsequent strategy ought properly to presage a return to fiscal probity and balance: eventually........

Bet you the markets do a typical knee jerk and Sterling falls rather suddenly: on such "Adverse" news........

[Www]

and then a couple of days later bounces back, after all it's only the bounce that makes the margin[:D]

not that I'm too excited about the rises lately, having bought our project at 1.50 I've watched it decline throughout all the exchanges on payments for the work, bu99er

[quote user="La Guerriere"]Aren't "The Markets" amazing ? They are run by The Masters of the Universe who require vast bonuses to reward their immense knowledge and insight, and at the slightest bit of bad news they all run around like wet hens squawking "THE SKY IS FALLING"[/quote]

More like chickens with their heads cut off, their 'predicting' and I use the word lightly, might be better if they just tossed a coin, heads it goes up, tails it goes down. [;-)] The bit that really gets me is that if they say as many different things as possible one of them, by law of averages, will happen then they run round telling everyone how clever they were getting it right. [+o(]

What annoys me most of all, Q is when the market changes and the media interview some dipstick from a major player at Canary Wharf, who "explains" how "The markets have priced in.........." whatever good or bad news looms on the horizon: and then when the expected and pre-announced bad/good event/s actually transpires, despite "Pricing in" the effect, those identical same markets then react one again!

[:@]

e.g.

Quote: "

It is the Bank of England that should set interest rates...that is the right way to do things," he said in a television interview on the ITV channel. "We have seen a slightly worrying increase in inflation in recent months, so interest rates will be set to control inflation."

But he said the government must recognize that one of the pressures on interest rates is if the government borrows too much.

"That's one of the reasons why we need to get hold of this deficit and get the deficit down...Countries right across Europe are having to do this and we are showing the way in how it should be done in this country and that will help us to make sure interest rates stay lower for longer," he said.

The pound weakened against the dollar and the euro following the comments. By late morning the pound was trading at $1.4575 from $1.4570 late Thursday in New York, and the euro rose to GBP0.8515 from GBP0.8480.

Cameron said tackling the budget deficit is also key for keeping tax rates down."

Source:

Will you stop it please, Sweet 17.

We are hoping to sell our house here in France.

This is not what we ordered at all.

Of course, a high rate until the compromis is fine.

Then 1.04 again would be lurvly!

Such a selfish person, aren't I.

You don't understand, Norman.  I might be buying a property with a dirty great big pond with funds still in the UK.  At the moment, several thousand pounds have already been knocked off the euro price.  At this rate, I think I'll just buy another building with a moat![;-)]