On-line Tax Returns

John Brown

I'm going to try completing my Tax Return on line, mainly because I've made a pigs ear of the paper version.

I followed last years form,with the updated figures, only to then realise the way of declaring my Local Government Pension has changed.

Can you bail out of filling the on-line form if you are not sure if its filled in correctly and go back to the paper version

[quote user="John Brown"]Can you bail out of filling the on-line form if you are not sure if its filled in correctly and go back to the paper version
[/quote]Until you get to the end and sign it off, you can pull out of the process.  Once submitted, you can make alterations but I reckon you're pretty much stuck with the on-line version once you have "signed" it.

I c*cked it up last year and corrected it, no probs.  Afaik, this is possible up until the submission deadline.  Even so, a plea to the impots office and they'll change it if it's wrong (or if they are.)  I do the same thing every year - for the first three on paper and since then on line - and yet  every other year they try to tell me I don't owe France any tax then after a bit of back and forth they agree to take my money.  They'll always change it after the fact if the result is wrong, in my experience.

You can correct an online submission right up to the deadline date, which varies according to your Departement:

7th June - 01 - 19

14th June - 20 - 49

21st June - 50 - 974

It's all in the documentation that most of us will have received by now (just got mine today!!)

Thank you Gardian,

I've got the 2047k so I'll wait for the 2042 to arrive and then I'll have a go at on-line

Good to know I've got plenty of time and I've have both forms to refer back to.

If thats a success I'll drop into the local Tax Office with my tax rebate details for the boiler

Thanks also for your email

The last post has sort of clarified a query I was going to post. This year I have the possibility of doing my tax retun online, however I would have to also provide supporting documentation for a credit d`impot. I take it the tax return can be done online and the said supporting documentation sent (posted or taken) to the local tax office, OR in the event of supporting documentation being included, it would be better just sending all paperwork (2042 and 2047s included) directly to the local tax office?

I have used both typed extra documents and scanned ones  (things like Notaire's statements) in emails with the tax office in the past.

If you are some distance from the office, or have a problem getting there like me, I find that email works ok0

Have they stopped using the certificat that circumvented the full logging in? I haven't changed my computer but I now have to enter three bits of information every time, which is a nuisance and the option of getting a new certificat hasn't appeared.

When we were claiming a credit d'impot a few years ago, I filled in the on-line tax form and just kept the receipt ready for when the tax office asked for it. They never did, and they just gave me the credit (although it was only a smallish amount of money - about €400 as far as I can remember)

[quote user="Pommier"]When we were claiming a credit d'impot a few years ago, I filled in the on-line tax form and just kept the receipt ready for when the tax office asked for it. They never did, and they just gave me the credit (although it was only a smallish amount of money - about €400 as far as I can remember)[/quote]

I thought that all claims for a credit d`impot had to be justified with the paperwork. I take it then, it would be easy enough just to email a copy of the paperwork accompanied by my tax reference details, and submit an online declaration?

No, as Pommier said you need to keep the paperwork in case you're ever asked for it, but the claim can be submitted online. I've done this twice now without problem, and so far I haven't been asked for any documents.

[quote user="mogs"]I believe the certificate system stopped last year (someone else will possibly concur or correct).[/quote]

I concur: I used to have a certificate for access (the certificates had to be renewed every 3 years) but there is now no provision for logging-in via this route: you have to know your taxpayer no, teledeclarant no and Revenu fiscal de référence. The teledeclarant no seems to change every year.