RAIN, RAIN

Hi everyone

Whatever is happening to the weather - have spent two days this week mopping the floors all over the house, 6 buckets of water to empty.

Have been out here for 12 years and never experienced anything like this before.  

Hope everyone is ok.

WendyG

It is intermittently nice/showery here. It is not cold but it is not at all how it is usually is in mid June.

By now I normally have a healthy glow from cycling down to the beach on a daily basis, having a couple of swims in the sea and returning home to cook a meal which we can then eat on the (unfinished) terrace. Not so this year. I do go down to the beach, wearing a jacket, and get rather wet, from rain rather than the sea.

The sea is still as glorious but definitely a tad on the cool side for the time of year, with not much respite in view.

Am I complaining, certainly not, I love where we are come rain or shine. Merely remarking that the weather is restrained for the time of year.

It is the holidaymakers I feel sorry for; as they plod round in their showerproofs trying to make the best of it.

Even the restos are giving up the ghost. On Monday there was 1 open; the rest were shut, some of them for a fortnight as they took their holidays - elsewhere.

Sue in soggy southern Brittany

I got drenched riding back from the gym, a bucket in my courtyard that was empty when I left had 5cms of water in it.

I have this evening changed from my winter to summer quilt (actually its a 2 piece one so can do 3 season and I believe tomorrow is midsummers day, on that basis I will only have the summer one for 2 days!!!!

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

We've had 3 glorious days of hot sun and now we are due for thunderstorms.  The air is so heavy you could cut it with a knife [:-))]

[/quote]

finally raining...huzzah

It says something when the buses have more air-conditioning than my office

I'm torn really, the wife and kids are having to cope with the melt water from the Pyrenees and the Gave de Pau doing it's worst, and i'm melting in northern Europe.

I blame Thatcher

We received an email last night from our neighbour to

say that they’ve had 3 days of rain  hail

and heavy winds in the  area ( right at

the top of Yonne  89). He took photos of

our orchard which is at the opposite side of the village to our house, and  we’ve lost three substantial plum trees – maybe 8 metres high and 25-30 cm trunks – snapped off about a metre from the base.

We’ve also had a branch from a 20 metre Ash tree break off

and land on the house roof. Again he took loads of photos and it appears damage

is minimal  -so far. Weather is better today

and for the next week. I’m scooting over on Friday night to asses and repair as

necessary.  

Never mind, soon be winter and sunny!!

I ventured out this morning to do some weeding among the "veg" and almost lost my wellies in the suction of the mud. I imagine the farmers are scared to go on their land with their heavy tractors which could be submerged.

I think the Gers has had similar rainfall to Lourdes etc.

Lourdes and Pau area have really suffered. Here in the Charente Maritime crops and vines have suffered badly from the heavy rainfall . The hail and storms have also taken their toll on some buildings. Many locals have said they are not at all confident that it will be a good summer.

[8-)] We bookedc to stay in the Charante Maritime near Aulnay - arrived Saturday - beautiful and hot as was Sunday. We decided to go to La Rochelle on Monday  where it was cold, damp and cloudy but in Aulnay it has been nice. Then around 7pm it started to rain and didn't stop till yesterday morning. We did venture out to Cognac on Tuesday but only stayed for 5 mins. We got soaked within 20 yards just to let the dog out for a p... All the  fields were swamped and the ditched full of  water. OH ( a retired water treatment eng) kept saying  'there's going to be flooding'. So we gave up and came home.  

[quote user="Yonner"]

We received an email last night from our neighbour to

say that they’ve had 3 days of rain  hail

and heavy winds in the  area ( right at

the top of Yonne  89). He took photos of

our orchard  ...
[/quote]

What a good neighbour you have, which must be a great relief when you are not there.

Sue

[quote user="tinabee"]

Just been watching the French news and there are terrible floods in Haute Garronne and Lourdes. A bit of rain doesn't seem so bad in comparison

[/quote]

Took an aunt, who is over from Australia, in to Spain from Haute Garonne a week last Wednesday ago, a gorgeous hot blue sky sunny day.We have since come back to the UK and a friend has just emailed a link to a local paper showing the flooding on the route we took.

Here in the UK it is absolutely hammering down in our part of Lincolnshire. Think Wimbledon could be three or four weeks this year.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Amazing thunderstorms all last night.  Right overhead with simutaneous flash and bang.  Now, at 10:00 in the morning, it's so dark that the streetlights have come on!

Still, longest day tomorrow [Www]

[/quote]

Longest day of the year and another downpour...it's 8:30 and all the street lights have come on again

A big knock on effect to all this rain is that a lot of the farmers back home (dept 65) produce Maize for the Spanish market...bio fuel, cooking oil etc. A lot of our neighbours have yet to get onto the land to plant. There is going to be either no harvest or a very late one this year. Not only that, the government will bail out those who would otherwise go under. Where is the money going to come from?