Re: Your mindless viewing pleasure!

cooperlola

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Théière"]The Simpsons, for the subtle way it takes the mickey[/quote]I don't put the Simpsons into the mindless category.  Personally, I think it's cleverer than that.[/quote]

Phew that's a reprieve for me then [:)]

[/quote]This is only my opinion (and John's), you understand.  And I watch Come Dine With Me.....[Www]

I used to watch Eastenders, without actually watching it. Would be on while I did other things.

I don't keep up with it now though, so I guess the mindless tv I watch is whatever the other half has on, and there's a lot of mindless crap on American tv - predominantly "The Real Housewives of ....*" * insert State here.

In reality, I don't watch a lot of tv.

Oh Coops, I knew you were a woman after my own heart - I have been completely hooked on "Un Diner Presque Parfait" ever since it started, and as I don't have British TV here, one of the highlights of my trip to England this year was sitting in my friend's living room and re-running as many sessions of "Come Dine With Me" as I could.

Now I hope Santa is going to bring me the means to watch UK TV as well as French TV.[:D]

I am afraid that "4 to a bed" just wouldn't do it for me. It's food I am interested in (and all the stuff going with it), rather than bedtime stories.[:)]

And I do watch Tanya Young (lovely big eyes) and Evelyne Dheliat too (she has a weird taste in clothes sometimes)

Strange that no-one's mentioned "Strictly..." not that I watch it, but friends are always on about it.

When I was in the UK at daughter's in June we watched the last week of Britain's Got Talent and found it addictive. But here we seem to spend hours watching poker or cricket or rugby - not sure if they are "mindless".

[quote user="Russethouse"]

The one thing most Americans mention to me is UK TV progs - Foyles War, Chef, Vicar of Dibley, Missommer muders etc ( I guess Downton Abbey wil be next)

One group looked at me in blatant disbelief when I told them that Chef was married to the Vicar of Dibley [:)]

[/quote]

Gordon Ramsey is their current love.

However, I think the Americans love of the Brits will be at an end when the talentless Piers Morgan takes over from Larry King soon.

"Koh-Lanta" THE FINAL IS TONIGHT

http://www.tf1.fr/koh-lanta/

Sorry that nobody (even Wooly) seems to be a fan. Perhaps one has to be a manqué survivalist. I am in awe of the hardships these 16 people endure for 40 days - including the lack of food leading to losing a lot of weight (7, 8, up to 13 kilos, when most of them are lean and fit to start with). How they cope with the total lack of comfort. Plus, the eating of grubs and scorpions in the challenges, biting live fish's head offs, making shelter, making fires, etc...

Like Robinson Crusoe all over again, every time...except, it's all built for entertainment, and it takes up to 100 staff and various bods to make the programme possible...

Anyway, the winner this year is the right one - he deserved it.

[quote user="Iceni"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]Do adults really watch the Simpsons???? I thought it was a childrens cartoon.[/quote]

anything that pokes fun at Rupert Murdoch is fine by me.

John

[/quote]Yup![:D]  Like my Jon Stewart obsession really.

On the topic of mindless telly (into which category the previous two progs don't come, imo) did anybody see the Reveiw Show last night?  Paul Morley's rant about the X Factor was very funny in view of some of the chats on this forum recently.  Interesting how split the "panel" was on the subject also, given that none of them could be described as stupid or un-cultured.

She was the finalist who had long blonde hair and was very slim with slightly prominant blue eyes.; nice looker  The other one, who won, was brunette and had an interesting assortment of partner and children and had a friendly, smiley face.

So, Wooly, if you MUST be interested in TV cooks and definitely don't fancy Clarissa Dickson Wright, then I guess Marine might be the one to take on.

When the Simpsons first started on Canal+ some friends wouldn't let their kids watch it as they said that it was awful and rude and their kids were quite young at the time.

I like The Simpsons and when I see the odd episode really enjoy it. Like most good cartoons, there is more to it than just for the kids.

We have started watching 4 in a bed and it has been quite an eye opener. I certainly have an idea as to where I would and wouldn't like to stay now.

[quote user="cooperlola"]THIS LADY doesn't really look as if there's enough of her to keep anybody warm - even a banana.  Never trust a thin chef![:D][/quote]

Aww c'mon Coops: weren't we all lovely and thin when we were that young? AND she can cook - she was very partial to vegetables and other healthier options too. AND she was a French teacher, so would be able to (gently) correct subjunctives and past conditionals. In fact, maybe every home should have one of her.[:)]