Re: Your mindless viewing pleasure!

cooperlola

There's another thread going on elsewhere about the X Factor.  Now this is a programme I have never seen as I'm not a pop music fan but it did lead me to think about the low-brow telly which I watch.  My own weakness (if that's what it is!) is Come Dine With Me, because I think the running commentary is hysterical.  I came across it quite by accident as my physio was discussing the French version so I tried it once and now I'm a bit hooked.

What is your choice for mindless but relaxing viewing?  Maybe I'll discover the odd gem (as I don't get out as much as I used to.)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be totally hooked on Judge Judy, not that I would accept that it was mindless, just most of the defendants.

I only watch French TV and then only about this time of night often whilst on the computer, who said men cant multi-task? You try reading and typing in one language wjilst listening in another!

I watch a litle bit of UK TV when I am there and the Jeremy Kyle show is the one that hooks me.

I totally agree about Come dine with me, it would be as boring and benign as the French version but for the commentary and the fact that they encourage conflict between the players. To be honest this is one thing that I think really degrades UK TV and I usually much prefer the French versions but that guys commentary is great!!

[quote user="Chancer"]

I totally agree about Come dine with me, it would be as boring and benign as the French version but for the commentary and the fact that they encourage conflict between the players. To be honest this is one thing that I think really degrades UK TV and I usually much prefer the French versions but that guys commentary is great!!

[/quote]

Totally agree. It's pretty much the same with all "reality" tv - the people involved and the contexts involved are deliberately designed to develop conflict. Two hundred years ago, when people wanted a bit of entertainment on a Sunday afternoon they went to the local insane asylum to have a laugh at the loonies' expense. Now they watch Big Brother or one of its various offspring.

Tanya Young gets my vote as well.

But as weather girls go no-one can beat Evelyne Dheliat for me, what a stunner for her age and what entertainment.

http://photosblog.top-news.fr/evelyne-dheliat-1-1.jpg

And it is mindless viewing pleasure as I just drool and dont hear any of the weather, just like the Harry Enfield character Kevin in the school report sketch.

I watch the X Factor intial auditions as I do the american equivilent. Also the Got Talent shows in the initial auditions. Have never watched any further.

I only recently started watching Come Dine with Me and catch it if I can.

As for the rest, well I like Casualty and Holby City and the CSI's, NCIS and Criminal Minds, but if I miss them, I don't 'miss' them. However, I love Merlin and Dr Who and Sherlock and always watched missed progs on the catch up.

I see many of the last few minutes of all the Eastenders storys as I am waiting for something else on Beeb 1.

Most of it is a distraction and if I read or sudoku or doze in front of it, it doesn't matter.

Best thing I have seen in the recent past on TV is a film and that's In Bruges.

[quote user="idun"]. Most of it is a distraction and if I read or sudoku or doze in front of it, it doesn't matter. Best thing I have seen in the recent past on TV is a film and that's In Bruges.[/quote]Funny that - I do so agree, but my o/h is always amazed that I "watch" things whilst reading or sitting at the computer.  He hates the telly and if it's on he can't concentrate on anything else - even if he's in the room next door and can hear it, he gets wound up.

Superb movie - I agree.  Did you catch "Frozen River" which I recommended the other day when it was on?

The other programme which is similar to Come Dine with Me (and is equally funny) is Four in a Bed. This features four B & B owners visiting each other's establishments and picking fault in the hope of winning the prize. Why none of them seem to realise that the prize isn't worth them making themselves look like complete idiots I can't imagine!

[quote user="Pommier"]The other programme which is similar to Come Dine with Me (and is equally funny) is Four in a Bed. This features four B & B owners visiting each other's establishments and picking fault in the hope of winning the prize. Why none of them seem to realise that the prize isn't worth them making themselves look like complete idiots I can't imagine![/quote]Well, I can see that some would see that it's free publicity.  But it must turn off loads of potential guest at the same time!  Our C d'H-owning forum members - would you do it?  I'm "watching" it at the moment, as it happens.  As background entertainment it's fun, but I still don't find the commentary as beautifully cutting as CDWM!  The other "conflict" programmes just bore me (Big Bro etc) - it's the commentary which cracks me up.

[quote user="Pommier"]The other programme which is similar to Come Dine with Me (and is equally funny) is Four in a Bed. This features four B & B owners visiting each other's establishments and picking fault in the hope of winning the prize. Why none of them seem to realise that the prize isn't worth them making themselves look like complete idiots I can't imagine![/quote]

Yep, very funny !