Re: Brucie....honoured at last !

Russethouse

I haven't seen him for years (nope didn't see the dancing show) but in his hey day he was certainly a master of his craft. I was talked into going to his one man show at the Palladium in the late 70's (or early 80's) and came out in awe of his command of the stage. People like him deserve recognition of their skills and talent more than civil servants who automatically get one. However, I do think teh best ones are the ordinary people who are just brilliant in their community.

Oh heavens, I used to groan whenever he came on.

However, in recent years, when I think how old he is and how he carries on, tinkling a few notes on the piano, singing a phrase or two, dancing a little shuffle, shuffle, kick, kick, I think, whyever not?

His jokes are always clean and he is versatile and works hard.

I'd rather give him a gong than that killjoy, Mervyn King.....

[quote user="idun"]

Truth is I don't care. I'm not sure if doing a job, entertainment  or sport that one loves deserves such an honour. Not just for Brucie but for anyone.

[/quote]I take your point in general but Brucie's knighthood is partially for his contributions to Charity.

Rabbie, a lot do work for charity. I do work for charity, have done all my life really one way or another. It is a way of giving back and goodness help any of us if we do it to be rewarded in any way at all.

I think that all countries should have some system for acknowledging certain people. It is the who that I have a problem with a lot of the time.  And rich, famous and powerful people already appear to have 'so much' already. Just IMO ofcourse[Www]

[quote user="idun"]He wasn't 'clean' on Have I Got News for You. In fact I liked him far better for his using raunchier language. I never quite trust people who are too squeaky clean and prim and proper.[/quote]

Lend us a tenner then [;-)]

Idun, I know that. I do my bit as well. I was merely quoting from the official reason for Brucie's knighthood. I agree with you that it is the who that is important. It seems this year they have given quite a lot of honours to 'ordinary' people who have done a lot for their community.

I always feel that giving honours to sports people just becaue they have won olympic medals is a bit daft. The Olympic Medal should be its own reward.

He deserves it for giving us such a laugh over the years wearing that syrup of his. Other than that, he has stayed the course when many have retired before 60. I was very touched when they did his family tree on that BBC programme last year and discovered he had a raunchy old relative who bred family in the USA he never knew existed and he went to meet them.

Hopefully, now having achieved the honour he and others have been banging on about for years, he will retire from all TV appearances.  I found his performance on Strictly so embarrassing, I started recording it so I could fast-forward his bits........then I stopped watching altogether [:D]  He is well past his sell-by date.

I find it very harsh for people to be labled as "past their sell-by date" purely on the basis of their age.

If you are lucky you, too, might get to be "geriatric".

And, of course, taste is a completely different and individual thing altogether.  For example, I can't stand these young up-and-coming (or whatever they call them) celebrities, pop singers, soap stars but I don't presume to say they are "embarrassing", though they are every bit that, because they clearly have their following or they wouldn't be in their position.

Fair enough, say you don't like his stuff, you find it boring, you don't share his humour; but that says as much about you as about him.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Brucie fan and games shows are not something I watch on TV (or indeed dancing shows) but I do have a sneaking admiration for such a trooper.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I find it very harsh for people to be labled as "past their sell-by date" purely on the basis of their age.[/quote]

If your comment is aimed at me, I do not disregard people purely on the basis of their age.  After all, the Queen at 85 and the Duke at 90 still appear to be coherent and capable.  However, "Brucie" is beginning to find "performing" quite difficult.  He misreads the autocue, gets his timing wrong and generally gives the impression that he IS "past his sell-by date".  I am sure, when he was younger, he was a good performer and he has been in the business for a long time, but he should begin to think about retiring.  His is not a job for life and it is much better to accept retirement than to go on and on, finding things more and more difficult.

Andy Williams was a guest on Strictly some time ago and his performance was extremely embarrassing - another performer who should know when it is time to stop.

I don't think there are many people of his age who can still sing a song, play the piano and do a soft shoe shuffle all in a 5 minute or shorter routine -

Like him or loath him I think most people would agree that his TV shows have been good family entertainment, just as I have happy memories of watching Sunday Night at the London Palladium with my family, lots of families watch Strictly today.

Another thing I admire him for  (although I suspect his curret wife gets a lot of the credit) is the way that despite three marriages the whole family, including ex wives, seem close and he remains on good terms with his ex's and his 6 children appear to all get on too.

I thought he was cringingly embarrassingly awful 40 years ago (and ever since!).

I don't understand people getting honours for doing their (very well paid) job. I know they said his was partly for charity work, but also for services to entertainment.

Jennie Murray was also honoured for presenting Woman's Hour!!!!

[quote user="Thibault"][quote user="sweet 17"]

I find it very harsh for people to be labled as "past their sell-by date" purely on the basis of their age.[/quote]

If your comment is aimed at me, I do not disregard people purely on the basis of their age.  After all, the Queen at 85 and the Duke at 90 still appear to be coherent and capable.  However, "Brucie" is beginning to find "performing" quite difficult.  He misreads the autocue, gets his timing wrong and generally gives the impression that he IS "past his sell-by date".  I am sure, when he was younger, he was a good performer and he has been in the business for a long time, but he should begin to think about retiring.  His is not a job for life and it is much better to accept retirement than to go on and on, finding things more and more difficult.

Andy Williams was a guest on Strictly some time ago and his performance was extremely embarrassing - another performer who should know when it is time to stop.

[/quote]

Thibault, please be assured that my comment was not aimed at you.  In fact, it was not aimed at anybody in particular.  It is the sort of thing that one picks up, when reading stuff from various sources.

However, if he IS "past his sell-by date", then his employers would be the first to tell him it's time to go.  No one would employ anybody just on the basis of "for-old-times-sake".

When people stopped watching Strictly or whatever show he's on, they'd soon let him know.

As for his finding things difficult to do....well, that's another thing altogether!  Don't we all find things "difficult" that we used to do  with ease when we were younger and more agile?

However, I believe that there is merit in doing a thing badly than not doing it at all.  At least, that's what I tell myself when I try to play the piano and, especially, when I attempt to learn some new tricky bit of music![:D]