Netiquette

irnbru

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="missyesbut"]

[quote user="SaligoBay"]And since when was "toubib" a French word?  [:)][/quote]

Since we, the French, pinched it from the language of what were our North African colonies ....

Don't quote me on it but from the very distant past of my school days, I was told it had arab origins.

If not so... I'll sue my primary school teacher for learning me wrong stuff!...

[/quote]

Christine A's link says it probably comes from (edit) arab Algerian 'tbib' for a witch-doctor or sorcerer.

Sorry MYB - are you familiar with a UK TV series called The Fast Show?  Started in the early 90's, lots of short sketches featuring characters who appeared in various scenarios.

The Fast Show

"According to Swiss Toni, selling cars (and answering the phone and putting up a tent for that matter) was 'like making love to a beautiful woman'. In fact, there wasn't much that Swiss can't manage to somehow compare to making love to a beautiful woman."

Phil

[quote user="Cassis"]"In fact, there wasn't much that Swiss can't manage to somehow compare to making love to a beautiful woman."
[/quote]

So, if I understand correctly, and to summarise, using correct grammar, spelling and punctuation is like making love to a beautiful woman?

Glad that's all sorted then. Anyone fancy a pint?[:D]

Just found this site about Netiquette, I am going to see if I can learn something there, maybe some others here may also benefit......[:D]

A quote from the first page:

(Ask yourself, "Would I say this to the person's face?" If the

answer is no, rewrite and reread. Repeat the process till you feel sure

that you'd feel as comfortable saying these words to the live person as

you do sending them through cyberspace.

Of course, it's possible that you'd feel great about saying something

extremely rude to the person's face. In that case, Netiquette can't help

you. Go get a copy of Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior.)

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/rule1.html

"This post is not intended to offend"[:P]

[quote user="Croixblanches"]

[quote user="Cassis"]"In fact, there wasn't much that Swiss can't manage to somehow compare to making love to a beautiful woman."
[/quote]

So, if I understand correctly, and to summarise, using correct grammar, spelling and punctuation is like making love to a beautiful woman?

Glad that's all sorted then. Anyone fancy a pint?[:D]

[/quote]

[:D]

It begs the question then, what do you compare to.......oh no, I'd better not![:$]

I think it's the American way Missy.

Like I often see "I learned something", when I thought learned was learn-ed, meaning someone who knows a lot, and thought it was "I learnt something".  Maybe learned is the American way.

Like burnt, burned, hung, hanged.  Without speaking English very much over the years you get mixed up (well, I do!).

That's an interesting site mentioned above, makes you think.   As long as we all try to respect each other and accept each other for what we are (sometimes difficult), whether we write correctly, perfectly or not, but all join in together without having to worry about being judged or jumped upon, just for fun and to learn something, then maybe we're on the way to achieving Netiquette.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

That's an interesting site mentioned above, makes you think.   As long as we all try to respect each other and accept each other for what we are (sometimes difficult), whether we write correctly, perfectly or not, but all join in together without having to worry about being judged or jumped upon, just for fun and to learn something, then maybe we're on the way to achieving Netiquette.

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more Christine!

[quote user="Croixblanches"]

[/quote]

Or, as Flashheart (WW1 flying ace) said in Blackadder.......

You treat your plane like you treat your woman.  Get into her 5 times a day and take her to heaven and back.

God, I loved Flashheart!  [:D]

Well I did try to get the thread back on track but it seems that the 'Grammar Police' don't want to give it up.......[:D] It was a quote from an American site about Netiquette, not my own words, I am not that learned!

"This post is not intended to offend"

[quote user="Cassis"]I reckon I learn, on average, one new French word a day, so ....

(I can't tell you what today's is as it's rude).
[/quote]

Mange mouc...............thats my new phrase for today!       Jut waiting for someone to correct me on my spelling/grammar[:)]

>>> I wonder if any other language evolves as quickly as English ? New words are added to the dictionary every year, whereas the French have committees to preserve their language and to prevent too many non French words becoming used in everyday situations.<<<

French to you, native English speakers, seem to have not evolved when it fact it has.

I don't have example of it in mind but in Quebec the spoken/written French is still very much that of the 17th/18th century. Expecially in the way phrases are said and certain words that in the Metropole we no longer use.

I sometime meet Canadians from Quebec and I struggle to understand their french that to stop confusion/misunderstanding we go into english!...

For what it is worth:

On Language

If I have something that I think is worth worth saying, then I think it is worth trying to ensure that people can understand what I want to say. I can increase the chances of everybody understanding me if I use correct spellings and grammar. I do think the onus is on me to try to use language correctly, however I also believe the adage that "if a job is worth doing, then it is worth doing badly" (i.e attempt it even if you can't do it perfectly).

My knowledge of English is not good, I was taught during the 70's but I don't think I was taught enough grammar (I certainly don't remember much of it). If somebody (who I think knows what they are talking about) corrects me on my English, I will listen and try to learn, I have a lot to gain by taking that stance.

Txt speak and Acronyms may be fast, but they can lead to ambiguity (for a long time I though LOL was "Lot's of Love"!). I think we should avoid using them in formal / public situations. I consider that a forum is a public place and so unambiguous English should be used.

I wish language didn't change so quickly, in my A leel class the other night we were quized on our knowledge of Verlan - learning Flic instead of M le Gendarme was bad enough so to know that it changed to Keuf and in some places it's even had anothe reversal to Feuk is all to much for my addled brain.

On Teachers

Most teachers get a real buzz out of seeing a student improve, I guess it's only natural that they get annoyed with students who are capable of improving, but can not be bothered (I know that when I am trying to show somebody how to do something I have almost undending patience with people who try hard but just can't grasp it. I get very annoyed with the "Oh, I'm just not able, you do it for me" brigade).

Many teachers are very very good at their subject. Some do get so embroiled in academia that they loose touch with modern practices but, educationalists do seem to be aware of this and so the problem is not as bad as it used to be.

Sadly, some teachers do get the rest a bad name by trying to treat other adults as if they were children. Most adults will not respond to the "you'll listen to me because I am the teacher" attitude and nor should they, more teachers need to be aware of this.

Equally sadly, too many teachers have great difficulty with being told something. They seem to be uncomfortable with subordinate roles. I know a number of people in healthcare professions, who find teachers very hard work. Too many teachers will not accept that in the consulting room, they are NOT the most knowledgeable person. (When I was a dispensing Optician we used to play "guess the profession".. Teachers were sooooo easy!)

Good teachers are worth their weight in gold, Good teachers who can leave the classroom behaviour behind when they are with other adults are worth their weight in, err something much more valuable than gold!

In case you are interested in why I have this "jaundiced" opinion of teachers, no I didn't have a bad experience as a child, I had some good teachers. My Grandfather, Grandmother and Mother were all in the profession, I loved and admired them greatly. My observations of teachers only came when I had to deal with them in the consulting room and too many tried to talk down at me.

[quote user="Dago"]Just found this site about Netiquette, I am going to see if I can learn something there, maybe some others here may also benefit......[:D]

A quote from the first page:

(Ask yourself, "Would I say this to the person's face?" If the answer is no, rewrite and reread. Repeat the process till you feel sure that you'd feel as comfortable saying these words to the live person as you do sending them through cyberspace.

Of course, it's possible that you'd feel great about saying something extremely rude to the person's face. In that case, Netiquette can't help you. Go get a copy of Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior.)

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/rule1.html

"This post is not intended to offend"[:P]
[/quote]

I think that is a good way of making people consider what they are writing and the effect it can have on others/the recipients.  A good “definition” or explanation (concise, etc.)

Ian

I don 't see why you are apologising for your "jaundiced" critique of teachers, JohnM. Seems to me a perceptive and generally appreciative view of teachers as such. How you feel about them as patients is another matter!

I suppose that much of 'netiquette', like good manners in general, means not making the other person feel unconfortable.

That's why I get rather annoyed when someone who has innocently posted a query all in upper-case is roundly jumped upon by some computer nerd ( to be honest, I haven't noticed it on this forum) who says something like " You should be aware that use of upper case means shouting in 'netequette' "

Does it really? Big deal!!

I would have thought that most of us are bright enough to know whether we are being 'shouted' at; with or without the use of full upper-case in a posting.

Besides, not all of us are masters of the keyboard yet, there may be a valid reason for the upper-case.

Davies

[quote user="Davies"]

I suppose that much of 'netiquette', like good manners in general, means not making the other person feel unconfortable.

That's why I get rather annoyed when someone who has innocently posted a query all in upper-case is roundly jumped upon by some computer nerd ( to be honest, I haven't noticed it on this forum) who says something like " You should be aware that use of upper case means shouting in 'netequette' "

Does it really? Big deal!!

I would have thought that most of us are bright enough to know whether we are being 'shouted' at; with or without the use of full upper-case in a posting.

Besides, not all of us are masters of the keyboard yet, there may be a valid reason for the upper-case.

Davies

[/quote]

But if nobody ever tells anybody anything how do people  learn? I only learnt about shouting in capitals by reading it on a forum, now I know and won't do it.  Giving people new information doesn't need to be done rudely; I would see this as helping someone rather than criticising them.

Making something easy to read is only mutual respect. Advising others on how to do it (but without any flame in the advice) is only friendly. Pompous / patronising stuff is, duh, obviously arsy and not friendly.

Making a mistake is human. 

Typing in upper case whilst balancing a pastis and a biere in a bar is one possible scenario for 'all upper case', in whch case why isn't there an 'I'm p****d' smiley ?

I'm told that the other site we are not allowed to mention came back for a short time but has gone down again.

One problem seems to be that the internet, even this forum, seems to be full of people who are too sensitive to cope with real life, so they have invented this 'netiquette' idea. In life, most adults can enjoy a discussion and accept the fact that other people will have different opinions from their own. On line though, if you do not agree with somebody, it is often taken as a personal insult unless you word it very carefully and quietly indeed. The concept of 'agreeing to disagree' which is the inevitable conclusion of most discussions, seems rather rare.