Portugese Police

LEO

If my 4 year old daughter had been stolen I would be devastated.

If the local police accused me of being involved in her disappearance,

I would be thinking ,this must be a bad dream and I will waken up soon

ps.

I almost forgot , little Madeleine is still missing

The Portugueuse Police do things in a way which complies with the Portuguese legal system, not the way in which Brits may want them to work and nobody knows what the Portuguese Police have been doing in the background away from the media glare.  In France, the French Police comply with the French legal system.  It is not the UK and that's all there is to this investigation, it's not done the 'British' way and not done the way the British media want it to be done.

They are doing what they must do, nobody is privy to the evidence they have except the Police and forensic service so making any comment - especially the comments made by their families and 'campaign manager' which seem to have changed in tone since the parents were 'upgraded' from witness to suspect - may be misguided at this time.

And how about all the other children that go missing across Europe, never to be seen again, will be interesting to see what happens the next time another child is lost (under whichever circumstances) to see whether there is another high-profile, well funded, media savvy campaign to find her.

I have no idea whether the parents were involved in the child's disappearance at all and to be honest, nor has anybody else, family, friends or speculators.  Only they know whether they were or not (and there have been plenty of instances where heart rending press conferences have been attended by grieving parents/partners/spouses when they have been guilty of a crime in the UK) but speculation here or elsewhere seems inappropriate at the moment.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]The Portugueuse Police do things in a way which complies with the Portuguese legal system, not the way in which Brits may want them to work and nobody knows what the Portuguese Police have been doing in the background away from the media glare.  In France, the French Police comply with the French legal system.  It is not the UK and that's all there is to this investigation, it's not done the 'British' way and not done the way the British media want it to be done.

They are doing what they must do, nobody is privy to the evidence they have except the Police and forensic service so making any comment - especially the comments made by their families and 'campaign manager' which seem to have changed in tone since the parents were 'upgraded' from witness to suspect - may be misguided at this time.

And how about all the other children that go missing across Europe, never to be seen again, will be interesting to see what happens the next time another child is lost (under whichever circumstances) to see whether there is another high-profile, well funded, media savvy campaign to find her.

I have no idea whether the parents were involved in the child's disappearance at all and to be honest, nor has anybody else, family, friends or speculators.  Only they know whether they were or not (and there have been plenty of instances where heart rending press conferences have been attended by grieving parents/partners/spouses when they have been guilty of a crime in the UK) but speculation here or elsewhere seems inappropriate at the moment.

[/quote]

The most sensible thing i have read about this sad affair. Spot on Tony. IMO there is no reason why the parents should NOT be suspects. I personally don't think their story stacks up 100%, and am pretty disgusted it has taken so long for them to be put in the frame. Hope i am wrong, but i think we may all be in for a surprise outcome to this. Statistaically, the odds say its them, so why the big surprise whe they are announced as suspects.

Hope it isnt them, hope maddy turns up, hope all ends well, hope the next missing child gets the same treatment, hope to see a few more kids out with their parents on holiday instead of tucked up in bed while the parents drink the night away.

post edited to clarify the quote coding

Chief and Tony, hear, hear!  I have not been following this case with the fervour which others seem to have done but really, the police of any country would be negligent if the parents weren't investigated.  Huge percentages of these kinds of crimes, world-wide, are commited by close relatives.  The fact that they publicly beat their breasts over their loss is not, and never should be, evidence that they were not involved.

And Tony, I so agree, why do people get so hot under the collar about the legal/police and other systems of the countries which they visit (and live in for that matter)? - if you believe they are suddenly going to do things "the British way" - you are surely pretty naive.

[quote user="Frenchie"]What would the British way be ??[/quote]

There is a maximum allowed for questioning after which you either have to be charged or released or the police have to apply to a judge for leave to keep you in custody longer.

You are either under arrest or you are not - there is no legal middle ground as with the Portuguese 'suspect ' status.

I feel really sorry for the other children, the family were said to be planning to return to the UK this weekend (according to the BBC) and I guess that their lives may have returned to some semblance of normality, now that looks as f it is out of the question as the MCCanns have decided to stay in Portugal and clear their names.

The Scottish way,different from the English way.

Witnesses woud be interviewed,forensic tests would be made,if there is reasonable suspicion against someone(not defined and up to the court eventually decide) that person can be detained and questioned for up to 6 hours.The person can also be interviewed voluntaraly and can leave the police station at any time,altho in that senario they would probably then be detained and held for the maximum of 6 hours At the end of that period the person is then charged if the police believe they have sufficient. evidence or released without charge.If released without charge they cannot be detained a second time they can only be arrested and charged.Ultimatly it is the Crown office in Scotland who decide that there is sufficient evidence to proceed to a formal charge which must be done within 60 days of arrest.

Hence the Scottish police do not willy nilly detain everyone in sight they conduct a thourough investigation and only when suspicion backed up usually with a great deal of evident would they consider detaining someone.

I haven’t seen the UK press coverage of this, but I’ll admit

that I was puzzled by their decision to stay in Portugal when Madeleine first

disappeared. As Gay says, their other children need some consideration too.

I agree with all the comments people have made. Whatever the

result, and none of us can know the facts,  it is a very sad case indeed.

On a more trivial note, the publicity campaign has had some

unwelcome side effects too. My grand daughters live in Loughborough which is

the nearest town  to Rothley where the

McCanns live. The five year old went to the cinema with a Brownie pack and saw

one of the early appeals for Madeleine’s return. Before that she didn’t know

that little children could be stolen from their parents and I wish she still

didn’t.

It seems to me that all these high profile over-reported scares go towards curtailing other children’s

freedom.

Hoddy

Sadly, this is one of the awful repercussions of the way in which certain media types report these things.  Inevitably it will lead to more overweight kids sitting in front of the TV or the computer and not getting out getting some healthy exercise instead, while parents get more over-protective and kids get more frightened.  This kind of thing has gone on for centuries, as sad as that may be to contemplate (whoever turns out to have been responsible).  It's sad how suspicious we are becoming of our fellow man (and woman.)  Society does not benefit, in the long run.

I feel the well orchestrated media circus has only hindered the whole enquiry and it will swing fully round on the McCanns if the truth is that they had some involvement.

The differing legal systems in differant countries is interesting. It works on the whole for the country it has eveolved in. We are in a very media led society over here in the UK and each choose to read and believe what we want to. The real sickener to me is the lack of international coverage 'normal' families get. Get two doctors, holidaying and mealing out with Doctors and its front page news day in day out. Were it a single parent on benefits at a holiday camp in cleethorpes and he/she'd have been lambasted by the press by now.

My only thought is that I hope the little one didn't suffer

[quote user="Renaud"]Leo wrote: My thoughts and prayers tonight are with, Gerry and Kate McCann, who I believe are innocent of any criminal activity whatsoever. I am completely with him.[/quote]

Likewise. Maybe they should not have left the children alone (isn't hindsight wonderful) but they would never have harmed that child. IMHO.............................................

The most scary aspect of this case is all the 'barrack room laywers' coming out of the woodwork with their 'I've always said they were guilty' views. 

Lynch mob doesn't really cover it.

[quote user="LEO"]

My thoughts and prayers tonight are with ,

Gerry and Kate McCann , who I believe are innocent of any criminal activity whatsoever.

[/quote]

Fortunately criminal cases are not resolved on the basis of one person's (with no inside knowledge) belief, but upon evidence. Which in this case seems, at first sight, to incriminate the parents. Either the charges will be dropped or the McCanns will get their day in court. Whether or not their carefully orchestrated PR campaign has had the intended effect on the hard-of-thinking should have nothing to do with  it.

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="Renaud"]Leo wrote: My thoughts and prayers tonight are with, Gerry and Kate McCann, who I believe are innocent of any criminal activity whatsoever. I am completely with him.[/quote]

Likewise. Maybe they should not have left the children alone (isn't hindsight wonderful) but they would never have harmed that child. IMHO.............................................

The most scary aspect of this case is all the 'barrack room laywers' coming out of the woodwork with their 'I've always said they were guilty' views. 

Lynch mob doesn't really cover it.

[/quote]

The 'Barrack Room Lawyer' remark can be used equally against those who beklieve and protest the McCanns innocence, as it can those whgo believe their guilt. Your insight is no more valid than that of the detractors in thius case, as you appear only privy to the same information. What scares me most is that you can be ruled out of an investigation into a missing child, just because the public flood you with money and you organise a campaign manager to handle the press. If that is the basis of your judgements bugbear, themn pity the people who cannot afford it mate. As far as i am concerned, until that kid turns up (dead or alive) and the McCanns are CONCLUSIVELY shown to be innocent, they will remain suspects, and should rightly be so....

Chief,

IMHO signifies an honest personal opinion, NOT a judgement.

Google 'McCanns' and have a read from the 'barrack room laywers.

As both you and Dick have said, the truth of all this will be tested in a court of law.

As regards the McCanns now being 'suspects', well, its got them out of portugal, hasn't it.................[Www]

What does seem strange to me is that it is only at this late date that the McCanns have been named as suspects.  Usually, though not every time, close family members are the first suspects; not least because a very high percentage of murders (perhaps even abductions) ARE committed by those closest to the victims.

In this context, I don't see why there is the shock- horror- surprise element.  After all, the McCanns have not been charged, they are merely suspects.  Their status as suspects is neither here nor there; it proves NOTHING and it's just like irresponsible sections of the media to make mountains out of molehills.

As Bugbear says, leave the moles alone!