Why should the BBC explain itself?

woolybanana

So, it decides to dump a number of experienced and slightly past-it freelance presenters and give a programme a new look and and new timeslot. By what right should they have a claim for compensation? It is a ridiculous abuse of public funds that these people should have a nice fat handout based on their age.

Time the court system changed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12161045

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Time the court system changed.

[/quote]

Sorry WB, but Employment Tribunals exist to uphold the Law (whether one agrees with it or not). They are often / usually the only recourse that individuals have against 'cavalier' employers.

I didn't think that she would win, but I'm glad that she did.

Can't stand the woman, but I am glad she has won.  It is a bit odd that older men (and their wrinkles) managed to hang on to their jobs, whereas the same doesn't seem to happen to women presenters.  Remember all that fuss about Moira Stewart, who once she got into her middle fifties was "let go" as a TV news reader in spite of a campaign to keep her.  When the BBC finally found a new job for her - it was to read news on the RADIO where her older, but still attractive, face could not be seen.

Double standards, anyone?

Woolly: I have to disagree with you.

Ageism has been a breach of employment law for some time: the devil is usually in proving same.

Clearly, this woman has: and bully for her.

Hopefully the now established precedent will make other employers think twice.

A present paradox exists: governments in both UK and France determined everyone must work far longer.

Nice idea: unfortunately, all wrinklies cannot be greeters at Tesco.

My wife, who looks, behaves and works 20 years younger than her actual age and after a very successful City career, suffered constant ageism.

I'm sure that the BBC were aware of the type of employment contract they'd entered into!

As has been said, if the government want women to work until they're 60....... sorry 65..........sorry 68, then they'd better toughen up the law so companies don't try to get rid of older workers.

If anyone watches French TV they will be aware of of the meteo ladies of the Fr chaines, most of whom, with one or two notable exceptions, are ladies of a certain age, the eldest being well over 60 I reckon. But, they are impeccably presented, beautifully dressed, coiffed and made up, a credit to French chic. Does the BBC go to the same trouble with the ladies who head up their programmes, I wonder, or do they go for the 'natural' look? Which works best?

I would trample over Julia Bradbury (the replacement) to even get a sniff of Evelyne Dheliat, Miriam whatsername would not even register on my radar [;-)]

I could watch Evelyne all day long even if she had the face of a  40 year old alcoholic chain smoker, someone once posted that she was pure theatre. I still cannot understand the UK obsession with anorexic bimbo weather girls.

I dont agree either with the comments about wrinkles, I have only once watched HD TV and it was only for a few minutes of TF1 news, the presenter was Laurence Ferrari and I was enthralled, probably like most people watching HD for the first time to make out her wrinkles and the meches in her hair, I thought she looked all the more beautifull for it.

If the TV chaines want to deberasse themselves of the trout pouting botox addicts then I for one am all for it.

I cant actually recall having seen Miriam Whatsername presenting the program, having watched the tube of her press conference I can see that she would not have been memorable, in fact she reminded me of  some of the wives of politicians who had just been convicted of corruption or perjury.

From ACAS

"What does age discrimination cover?

The

Equality Act 2010 makes it unlawful to discriminate against employees,

job seekers and trainees because of their age. This includes direct and

indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation. The Equality

Act also:

• removed upper age limits on unfair dismissal and redundancy
  • introduced a national default retirement age of 65, making compulsory retirement below 65 unlawful unless objectively justified
  • gave all employees the right to request to work beyond 65 or any other retirement age set by the company
Do these regulations cover all workers?

Yes.

The regulations apply to all workers, including office holders, police,

barristers and partners in a business. They also cover related areas

such as membership of trade organisations, the award of qualifications,

the services of careers guidance organisations, employment agencies and

vocational training providers, including further and higher education

institutions.

The regulations also cover you if you apply to an

organisation for work, or if you already work for an organisation –

whether you're directly employed, work under some other kind of

contract, or are an agency worker. Employers are also responsible for

the behaviour of their employees towards an individual working for

someone else but on their premises, for example if you're in another

organisation repairing a piece of equipment."

From the UK Film Council:

"

Employment rights for freelance workers are more limited than for employees, but include:

• Not to be wrongfully dismissed

• Minimum wage

• To be accompanied in disciplinary and grievance hearings

• Working time protection

• Not to suffer unlawful deductions

• Not to have to make payments to employer

• Not to suffer a detriment for enforcing working time rights

• Not to suffer a detriment for making a protected disclosure

• Not to be less favourably treated on ground of fixed-term employment

• Protection from discrimination on grounds of sex, race, disability, religious belief and sexual orientation

• Equal pay"

[quote user="Chancer"]I dont agree either with the comments about wrinkles, I have only once watched HD TV and it was only for a few minutes of TF1 news, the presenter was Laurence Ferrari and I was enthralled, probably like most people watching HD for the first time to make out her wrinkles and the meches in her hair, I thought she looked all the more beautifull for it.[/quote]

I know I'm going off topic here, so I apologise in advance: when listening to Laurence Ferrari I get the impression that she lisps: do others of you notice this?

Regards

Pickles