Films you recommend

krusty

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well neither of my favourites (Un ProphĆØte  and Das weisse Band) got the Oscar for best foreign film!

I have to say that from the trailer

http://vivirlatino.com/2010/03/07/another-latin-american-oscar-contender-tonight-the-secret-of-her-eyes.php

it looks as if the winner () was selected because it appeals to the American sensibility, shamelessly using clichĆ©d shots (the woman running along the platform after the train, etc) but will reserve judgement..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Ok, now I have been pointed in the direction of this thread heres my few to start with.

Into The Wild, true story about an privileged young American that becomes a tramp.  Cinematic is not the word, stunning photography and a moving story with great Eddy Vedda (Pearl Jam) sound track.

Schindlers List. No more needed to say really.

Max Manus.  Norwegian war film with subtitles, awesome film.

Shooter was mentioned earlier, great film.

Bank Job, again, great film.

Loads of good films mentioned earlier, too many to mention.

Is the Perigord film club still going?

When I move over next year I will be bringing my projector over with me and may be setting it up in the cellar, could be some good film nights to get organised.

[quote user="krusty"]

I wonder why Joe changed the title of the thread a few pages back ?

Shutter Island , just watched it .......the best film I have seen in years , anyone else seen it yet , besides CDL ?

[/quote]

I saw it a couple of months back, very good. Two more I would like to nominate as both old and new films are Inception and Grand Torino. I liked Inception because its a very clever film (as well as good effects), some might not get it the first time round. Surrogates was good as well.

Never seem to get to watch any new films - fell asleep during Avatar tho !

Very old films :

Streetcar Named Desire

To Kill a Mocking Bird

Not quite so old films:

Once were Warriors

Fried Green Tomatos at the Whistlestop Cafe

Deja Vu

ooh so many I can't think.

Might buy a couple of new one for this christmas ... better start at the beginning of the thread and re-read I think for some ideas!

The Piano

I would recommend death at a funeral but watch the original British version! I was a bit dubious a first and its quite a slow start like not very funny at the beginning but it is hilarious come the end. A classic British comedy - you can't go wrong!