Films you recommend

krusty

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the Right One In.

It's a Swedish film, and for me in such a long time, has such a movie stayed with me long after I've watched it. Covers many genres, horror, kids, fantasy etc it might not captivate you so much while atching it, but you will think about it for a while after.

Also, Spanish film REC is a good laugh (it's a horror), and is taken from the first person perspective like Blair Witch, but is much, much better.

Overall, don't think there has been many decent movies around for a while, and foreign movies certainly seem to be much better than Hollywood movies. Perhaps Hollywood has run out of ideas.

R.

Gomorra

alternative English site

About the Mafia in Naples.

Entre-Les-Murs

About a tough collège in the Paris suburbs

A site here about the post-Cannes success

The Fall  a weird fantasy film about a meeting in a 1915 LA hospital between a stuntman and a young Romanian girl.

It veers between the everyday hospital life and a vividly and spectacularly shot fantasy world.

I am not sure I like it, but worth seeing for the stunning cinamatography

Links lead to sites with trailers

• 3 months later...

Hello , not been here for a while .........two more to recommend

Shooter ..........with Danny Glover (he is not the star) great action movie

and Eagle Eye.........sort of big brother / 2001 a space oddity (remember HAL)

just couldn't sit through Bruge or no country for old men, much prefer something more light hearted. Love Johnny Depp, Jean Reno, Clint Eastwood.,Will Smith. I usually find that the films that get hyped up the most are generally not to my taste. Did anybody else think 4 weddings and... was the worse film ever? (didn't get pulp fiction either)

Well apart from recent stuff, too many classics, those that I have watched more than once;

Ronin; right up there,

Shawshank redemption, gritty but great.

Vietnam Robin Williams at his best

TheDriver ; Ryan O'Neal ancient but still a good watch, original written for Steve McQueen, Bullitt goes without saying.

Hot Rod difficult to find now but, feel good roadmovie (more believable than Two lane blacktop,James Taylor should stick to Singing[:)]

Electric Horseman; just to hear WillieNelson.

Glad to see peoples opinions on movies .

Just thought of a few more

Mr Brooks ........Kevin Costner ..........he plays a killer ......very good

Benjamin Button .......agree with previous poster ...good film

and one that had hype but I did not like ..........Revolutionary Road.

For the ladies, I would recommend.....

Pay it Forward (a big weepy!)  Shakespeare in Love, Dear Frankie

For the men I would recommend....

Swordfish (John Travolta & Halle Berry)   Kingdom of Heaven (A Ridley Scott movie) and Dejavu (Denzil Washington) all of the Bourne Trilogy

& as suggested previously, Man on Fire is a must see.

Don't know how I missed this the first time round as it appeals to me on two fronts - movies and making lists - a couple of my obsessions.[:D]

The best movie by far which I have seen recently is Gran Turino - and no, not because it's named after a car!  Tour de force from Mr Eastwood in both the acting and directing stakes.

Anything by John Sayles - my favourite director by a long way, but especially Lone Star and Silver City.  Honeydripper (his most recent effort) is also stunning.

A really great little sleeper movie is The Station Agent - seek out the DVD if you missed it.  Patricia Clarkson got an Oscar nomination but all three central performances are great - especially that of the main character, a vertically challenged young guy who inherits a railway station.

Old favourites are Casablanca, The Third Man (I can't see that shot of OW's first appearance in the shadows often enough - still sends a shiver down the spine), The Magnificent Ambersons (v. underated Welles film, imo.) Rebecca (Hitchcock),  Sunset Boulevard and The Maltese Falcon.  I love Rio Bravo for a good old-fashioned western, although I was never really a Wayne fan, he's at his best in this and it's a great story to boot. 

Also Broadcast News (enjoyable by both sexes but rings very true for any woman who's ever tried to make it in a man's world), Dersu Uzala (Kurusawa in an unusually non-gory mood - a wonderful study of the relationship between two very different men struggling in the wilderness), The Right Stuff (documentary-style movie about the space race); The Dish (very funny movie from Australia). 

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

There are lots of films aready mentioned that i have already watched a number of times, lots of John wayne films as i have been a bit of a fan, strictly ballroom i love because it has a real feel good factor however, the new Mama Mia film even has my nine year old singing and we both love the film we watched for the 10th time last night Down Periscope[:D]

Judith

• 3 weeks later...