Spelling fall-out

pachapapa

[quote user="pachapapa"]

It is interesting to observe that potential buyers on the internet have a tendency to discount on line sales web sites with deficient spelling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14130854

As a corollary it is often difficult to give credence to posts on forums in which the joined up thinking is debilitated by spelling.[:P]

or strange or inappropriate vocabulary [:)]

[/quote]

Heartening to know that the average online shopper is educated enought to spot the errors however it seems to be a tad self conradicting.

If the quality in the literacy of job candidates is so apalling then who are these potential shoppers who eschew a site simply because they spot an odd spelling mistake. I suppose you can't argue with the statistics but for my own part, whilst I find simple spelling and grammar mistakes mildly irritating, if the site has something I want to buy at a price I'm prepared to pay I'd have no hesitation in shopping there.

Standard caveats apply of course, unless it's a site I know and trust I will always have a little poke around to make sure there is say a phone number and other little things which lend it legitimacy. Just like on eBay, even if a seller has 100% positive feedback I always go and have a look at it. You can easily get 100% by selling say 50 10p items then go for the kill by posting one fake or even nonexistent high value item up for sale and you're bound to catch out some poor sap !

Don't shop on-line that much but I am prejudiced all right.

I was thinking about using a certain estate agent I'd heard of to sell our old house "when the time comes".  Then, I saw one of her adverts in a newspaper.

She was advertising land, houses, manors and chateau's........call me unreasonable but that one word alone has ensured that she won't be getting my instructions.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I was thinking about using a certain estate agent I'd heard of to sell our old house "when the time comes".  Then, I saw one of her adverts in a newspaper.

She was advertising land, houses, manors and chateau's........call me unreasonable but that one word alone has ensured that she won't be getting my instructions.

[/quote]I can see that would be very irritating to a chatelaine such as yourself[:D]. Us peasants  don't really look at the adverts for Chateaux[:D]

[quote user="AnOther"]

Heartening to know that the average online shopper is educated enought to spot the errors however it seems to be a tad self conradicting.

If the quality in the literacy of job candidates is so apalling then who are these potential shoppers who eschew a site simply because they spot an odd spelling mistake. I suppose you can't argue with the statistics but for my own part, whilst I find simple spelling and grammar mistakes mildly irritating, if the site has someting I want to buy at a price I'm prepared to pay I'd have no hesitation in shopping there.

Standard caveats apply of course, unless it's a site I know and trust I will always have a little poke around to make sure there is say a phone number and other little things which lend it legitimacy. Just like on eBay, even if a seller has 100% positive feedback I always go and have a look at it. You can easily get 100% by selling say 50 10p items then go for the kill by posting one fake or even nonexistent high value item up for sale and you're bound to catch out some poor sap !

[/quote]

I thought the same if the average workers cannot spell neither can the average surfer/buyer. But I reckon he should move away from the cheapest hiring area and pay a real wage.

Not only spelling has flown out of the window, as anybody who watches The Apprentice would know. In addition to the use of an apostrophe that makes even greengrocers look like English professors (Caraca's) this week's cream of the candidates demonstrated total ignorance in geography, mental arithmetic and - in particular - history.

Then b***er me if Rick Stein didn't make the same error (Columbus discovered the potato) in his new series yesterday evening.

To get back on topic, if you really want to see English language and spelling mangled to death in online small ads just visit the AngloInfo forums.

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]I can see that would be very irritating to a chatelaine such as yourself[:D]. Us peasants  don't really look at the adverts for Chateaux[:D][/quote]

Actually, Rabbie, I think I was more put out by the inappropriate use of the apostrophe [:'(]