Sean Penn and the Falklands

idun

Apparently this actor/director is backing the Argentinians. Apparently no lover of democracy.

Why or why has this weasel faced man with no charisma become famous and I can only wonder why his comments merit reporting? It isn't as if looks are that important to me where actors are concerned or men for that matter, but they have to have 'something' about them. My kids used to enjoy the films with his chubby brother in and he was OK.

A tricky subject. The Spanish once claimed the islands then abandoned them before Argentina was created. The British claimed them and some cared to live there so posesion is nine tenths of the law.

If the people living in the Falklands voted for their islands to become part of Argentina then nobody would stand in their way. So when they voted the other way why is that not accepted?

Part of the cult of celebs dictates that the worshipers should listen to their views. Silly cults indeed.

Sean Penn is better than most having a good record in providing and administering disaster relief in the Caribbean. I am not sure of his position on why Hawaii is part of the USA or indeed why the Anglos should not hand the USA back from the indigenous peoples.

So for those who are for Penn, where are the Falklanders supposed to go? I thought that we were over colonialist take overs and assimilating the natives like the borg, because if 'we' and the europeans have done it in the past, well the ex europeans of South America are not beyond being just as diabolical, even more diabolical, as they should know better in this day and age and they obviously do not.

And I do think that the current elected President is a terrible manipulative woman, just as I believe that the current President of France is a terrible man. Would I blame the falklanders for thinking she is a chi enne, no, not at all.

I also have little good to say about most british politicans.

An old friend of mine is a Falkland Islander and through her I have met several other people who live there. It's a completely different way of life, much tougher in many ways than life in the UK, both my friends nieces came to the UK to secondary school, they board at a school in Winchester, which means they are away from their families for long periods, I think they get two flights back a year.

While we luxuriated in central heating my friends sister was cutting peat for the fire. 'Camps' or farms are very spread out so farmers may not see others for longish periods. 

Many of the inhabitants would not settle well here and they do not want to be Argentinian

There were never any argentinians of any sort on these islands and are not now.

So what next, St Pierre et Miquelon back to the canadians. Alaska back to Canada. Channel Islands back to France and maybe just maybe, the Americas North and South back to the natives and kick all the europeans out, now that would be a good idea nez pah[6]

If you look pack through history it's always been about money or resources. There wasn't even a tree on the island hundreds of years ago, 99% of the trees there now where planted by the British. It has only been of interest to other countries when they thought it had something to offer i.e. could be used a base (seal hunting, whaling and military, pirates even). As soon as the mention of the possibility of oil being found it all started again. When they said they (the oil explorers) got it wrong and that there was no oil it all went quiet again. Now of course they have found oil it's back on the agenda again.

What worries me the most about those living there is that everyone wants the place because of the oil possibilities and I wonder if anyone, including the British, have their best interests at heart. To me the argument seems more about the islands and the people currently living there come in a very poor second. My other concern should the Argentineans win their case at the UN (and its been going on since the 1950's), is that the farmers may be treated much in the same way as Mugabe has treated the white farmers in Zimbabwe and throw them all out to make way for their own people and oil workers needing accommodation. I don't think Britain would do that but nobody knows if Argentina would.

I went there once at the end of the war when we were based in Chile, only for the day. The people there are a hardy lot and very proud at what they have achieved for which they have had to work very hard. I also thought at the time that I definitely would not want to live there nor live their type of life but they clearly do and should be left in peace to do so if they wish. They are a special type of people and quite unique.

I know what people think in general these days with the bad press, but I think this is more of a human rights issue centred around those that live there rather than territorial.

Yet I as a British person cannot just up sticks and move there. Accoording to their website, it is possible to get a work permit if you have a job to go to, but they are fixed term contracts. Further settlers not welcome? That is one way of keeping the population British I suppose and that ties in nicely with the UK government supported idea that the (only British) population of the islands can decide their own nationality!

Whoever has rights to it, I would hate to see another drop of blood spilt so that Islanders can keep the queens head on their currency.

I do not agree with Sean Penn. However, some celebrities do get involved in things and can have a major impact. One instance that comes to mind is Joanna Lumley and the Gurkas - but she did have some linkage as her father was an officer in the Gerka regiment. However, that was basically involved with the internal politics of a nation, not one of regime change.

Please don't get me started with the meddlers who decide on a course of action, without a thought.

Joanna Lumley, well, did she think that some of us like british troops being told they're sacked when mercenaries are in the british forces are not, or few? I do not. And I would feel the same about the mercenaries in France, ie the Foreign Legion too if home troops were being sacked.

Sting and the rain forest.......... and how many kids has he got and how much does he travel, he and his spawn will be using thousands of times more of a carbon footprint than I would and yet he preaches.

Cannot stand it all. And politicans are just as bad.

[quote user="Hoddy"]I read an interesting article yesterday. Apparently Penn lives in California which the Americans took from the Mexicans by force. Perhaps he will campaign for California to be given back to the Mexicans. Hoddy[/quote]

True indeed!

The mexicans have more right to Upper California, New Mexico and Texas than England has to the Islas Malvinas.

But at the end of the day it depends on military power and political alliances; the argentinos will be patient on the military front but active on the political front, where they are having a modest success in Latin America.

The naming of the Argentinian Association Football Premier Division may mean them missing the next World Cup, however the peronists have wide political support within the working poor so it could be accomodated. The name La Liga Crucero General Belgrano adds a symbolic historical nuance to the " beautiful game".

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Hoddy"]I read an interesting article yesterday. Apparently Penn lives in California which the Americans took from the Mexicans by force. Perhaps he will campaign for California to be given back to the Mexicans. Hoddy[/quote]

True indeed!

The mexicans have more right to Upper California, New Mexico and Texas than England has to the Falkland Islands.

But at the end of the day it depends on military power and political alliances; the argentinos will be patient on the military front but active on the political front, where they are having a modest success in Latin America.

The naming of the Argentinian Association Football Premier Division may mean them missing the next World Cup, however the peronists have wide political support within the working poor so it could be accomodated. The name La Liga Crucero General Belgrano adds a symbolic historical nuance to the " beautiful game".

[/quote]

Fixed that for you.