Great - now what???

Debra

Debra, had you not at one time had part(s) of one of your properties on short term tourist rental to people coming for a cure?

It was that I was thinking of.

I had seriously underestimated the value of this market and for years it didnt figure in my plans, at one time I remember saying that all my apartments rented here long term, which would have been to some very dodgy people, would bring in less than my one small family house rented near Gatwick. The exchange rate has improved since then but I could rent just one out of my 5 apartments on short term lets and it would bring in significantly more per month than the UK house which itself brings in a very good rent.

I recall now that you PM'd me on the subject, now is the time to give it a try.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Chancer"]

Debra, had you not at one time had part(s) of one of your properties on short term tourist rental to people coming for a cure?[/quote]No.  The new place I've moved to has a separate house and I bought the property with a view to letting that in future, once my older kids (or even one of them) has left home.  I might have to consider bringing the anti-social teenager from there into the main house and letting that on a short term basis sooner than I'd planned to.  I haven't started work on that one yet though - it needs a lot of decorating. 

I still have my old place that I could let, since it may now be difficult to sell, but that also needs some decorating work and I'm not sure whether the plumbing or electricial installations are good enough to let it.  I did prefer the idea of selling it to clear some of my UK mortgage and if the pound sinks a bit whatever I get for it will go further.  The interest rates going up idea makes me prefer that but some are saying they'll go up and others are saying they'll go down.  Another thing we'll have to wait and see about.

I wouldn't have enough income for it to be worthwhile normally to run a business but now it might be worthwhile for that reason (it would be a bonus for me not to have to rely on the S1 anyway) and to be seen to be active if I apply for naturalisation, since at the moment they might just consider me to be on a long holiday, even though my kids have been schooled here for eight years.

There isn't a 'split' such percentages are considered a decent win, in any election.

I was surprised when I got up this morning, late morning as is my way and saw the result. I really thought that the result would be 'in', but it was not.

At the polling station yesterday it was the first time I have seen a queue and I always vote.  My cousin in Derby said the same.

The worst thing about these negociations will be that they have to be with the EU and their track record for common sense is rather low in my opinion, I'd trust most teenagers to act better.

Ofcourse we could end up moving back to France if it would affect us too much. I am not panicking, there is no point. I'll do as I always do, stay as well informed as I can as to what is happening and then we will decide what is best for us.

Now I am wondering how this will actually affect the EU, the UK was not the only country which was not currently happy with it.

[quote user="Debra"]I wouldn't have enough income for it to be worthwhile normally to run a business but now it might be worthwhile for that reason (it would be a bonus for me not to have to rely on the S1 anyway) and to be seen to be active if I apply for naturalisation, since at the moment they might just consider me to be on a long holiday, even though my kids have been schooled here for eight years.

[/quote]

You have been filling in your impot forms and paying your taxes fonciere and hab, so they will know that you are resident.

That was the advantage of us having to have the Carte d'Identite in the past, all was very very clear.

Idun wrote "UK isn't the only country that 's unhappy with the EU". That seems to be the reaction here in our part of France. If UK leaves, other members could follow suit.

Much dissatisfaction in Southern Europe with the EU's handling of the migrant crisis.

Well I had read somewhere that the EU will want the UK pretty quick. The EU has now spoken and they want us out double quick and will not wait for us to have a new PM.

A senior EU leader has confirmed the bloc wants Britain out as soon as possible, warning that David Cameron’s decision to delay the start of Brexit negotiations until his successor is in place may not be fast enough.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/top-eu-leader-we-want-britain-out-as-soon-as-possible

Sorry - but just going back to the pensions question.   Some still do not get it.   When Heath signed over the UK to the 'Common Market' quite apart from handing over our territorial fishing rights, he DID agree that the UK had to cut its ties with the Commonwealth.   One of those agreements was INDEED the freezing of pensions paid to those living in the Commonwealth.   That is a fact;  I can remember it from the time.

Yes, it probably suits present day Governments.  But it was part of the Treaty that was signed;  here's a link to a commonsense explanation of UK pensions paid round the world - which

does include the phrase 'bizarrely, UK pensions NOT paid to residents in the Commonwealth'.

Because those Commonwealth countries which had previously NOT had an agreement with the UK suddenly found themselves lumped into the Treaty.

Check it out;  a great injustice was done;  it cannot be changed unless there is/was a Treaty change.

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article - 6 December 2012.

As for NZ lamb - heard of quotas.   And totally as a side-bar - why do you think that NZ and Oz are now responsible for the cruelty and disgusting obscene export of live animals to certain Muslim countries ?   Any of you heard or know about the disgusting and appalling animal abuse that takes place?;  partly the UK's responsibility because, again, part of the 'signing away of our Commonwealth ties' - was the non-importation of frozen meat from NZ and Oz.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]The EU markets are being hammered.

SPAINISH IBEX down 10.9%

ITALIAN MIB down 11.12%

FRENCH CAC 40 down 7.2%

GERMAN DAX down 6%

Was that supposed to happen ?

FTSE is down 2.6 % at the moment but of course the pound is very weak which makes it look better than it is.[/quote]

Excellent equity buying day ......thank you very much.

The FTSE right now is 6200 .... it closed at 5998 last Friday

regards

cajal

Sorry Chessie but off the top of my head I can tell your that the commonwealth countries in the West Indies have reciprocal agreements with the UK, that is on the DWP website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/state-pensions-annual-increases-if-you-live-abroad/countries-where-we-pay-an-annual-increase-in-the-state-pension

Are you saying that the indigenous people in commonwealth countries can't get a UK state pension or are you talking about UK state pensioners that move to these countries can't get a UK state pension or are you saying once there they don't get the incremental rises that UK state pensioners get?

Are you further saying that now we have left the EU (or are about to be kicked out) that we will now have to pay these people UK state pensions?

I am not to sure where your coming from with the NZ and AU lamb. Are you saying they are transported to the EU live, slaughtered and chilled then frozen when they get here or arrive frozen. As far as I knew it arrived frozen according to the packet.

As to NZ and AU shipping live animals to other countries I don't see what that has to do with the UK.

And those comments from Juncker that they want us 'out' ASAP just illustrated to me how much I detest the EU. How dare he, there are rules about this and the EU has to abide by them and not come out with such comments, which are what I see as threats.

It was also said that they would make an example of the UK to deter others from the same action. What is this about? IF the EU is so wonderful there is no need to punish us, to keep the others in line. And IF it isn't so wonderful, then isn't this just very very basic bullying and intimidating to coerce others to stay 'in'.

Another thing that annoyed me today was that a journalist said that London had a young and well educated population and that was why they voted to stay in.......... and so Londoners are cleverer than the rest of us..... [:@]

From our perspective I am wondering if the french will  start taxing the french pension and taking the CSG etc stoppages.

Which is what they could equally do with british incomes for UK residents in France. I mean all the income including those 'civil service' type ones, including teachers, military and police etc. And that would be worth watching out for, as the french put much through rather quickly and very very sneakily and this is one thing that the french population will not strike or manifest about.

Just musing, but perhaps if they did that, there could be a  'good' to it, that  being, that if residents were being treat like everyone else in France, they would automatically be in the french health care system?

Idun, it's not to do with education, as such, but it's a LOT to do with age. It's all very well people (here, at the moment, in particular) going round in circles about the effect on their pensions in the here and now. I think they should count themselves very lucky. It's now likely that an increasing number of young people will never live to see the day they can actually draw a pension.

If my own kids are anything to go by - and I fully appreciate that today is a day of knee-jerk reactions - then they're both looking as of this moment to leave Britain (I see no further point in referring to it as "the United Kingdom, as it clearly is anything but) ASAP, whilst they still can. And I don't blame them one bit.

I felt sorry for the young before, but post-referendum, even more so. I read that 85% of younger people voted to stay in - and they ended up with a vote to leave. To me, it's about their future, not that of us, the older generation.

I wouldn't be surprused if many younger people looked for a life elsewhere; if they have the qualifications/experience needed in Australia, for example, I'd say go for it.

We've had emails from French friends, it took even longer than usual to walk into town this morning - apart from the usual 3 kisses. Every one of French and Belgian friends we met and even the waiting staff at the café wanted to commiserate, tell us they couldn't believe the news when they woke up. Nor could we ..........

If London has a Young and educated population then here in troudeculdemondeville its the opposite, I went running with approx 25 others from my club tonight, not one of them made a single comment about it, just the usual mumbling grumbling euuhing strung together with other single random words, their heads wont contain anything other than their holidays till well after the rentrée.

And yet these are cadrés from the Airbus factory, its the Airbus athletic club [:-))] the only thing they find harder than attracting people to work here is retaining them, any with the slightest nouse get promoted elsewhere.

And then right at the end one asked me how I voted, not that he cared because he wouldnt let me answern he was too busy trying to make loud fun of me in front of the others, still it gave me the opportunity for a pleasing put down.

When I was leaving he shouted out that I would have to now buy a French car with the steering Wheel on the correct side, I gave him the finger.

[quote user="Mrs KG"]Judith 'So the UK is split down the middle on this issue, who'd want to be there when the s***t hits the fan.'

But was it really split down the middle? it seems only half of the UK population voted because the other half either;

weren't allowed to vote? what percentage of the UK would that be?

and those that didn't bother to vote that could have what percentage was that.

It seems to me that half the population of the UK have disappeared somewhere. Do you see what I'm trying to say? Not sure that I know where I'm coming from either - the whole scenario has done me in!

Mrs KG[/quote]

Not sure my head is any clearer than yours on the calculations, and yes, totally agree that if every British citizen had voted (or been allowed, why not compulsory as in Oz), the cut would not have been half / half.  Though given that a good proportion of those that were allowed to register did so, and that the turnout was about 72%, the split is certainly not likely to be really half/half. 

The fact that I think for such immense changes a majority of at least 60% and more sensibly 70-75% majority should be the norm is sadly, irrelevant. Maybe a few politicians are now wishing they had not plunged in so excitedly to the idea of a referendum.

What a mess. I fear we are only just beginning to see a collapse in the UK economy. A earlier poster said that the footsie was only down 2.6%, well in finished the day down 3.15%. I would assume that investors think that the multinational companies within the footsie will benefit from a weaker pound so it held up relatively well. But if you look at the FTSE 250 which mainly comprises of domestic companies, i.e. those that derive their profits from the UK it was down 7.1%.

In both the footisie and 250 the house builders and property companies finished the day down in the region of 20-25%, as well as the banks and insurers who have exposure to corporate bonds etc. This has got to have serious consequences for the UK economy as basically the whole economy is built on rising property prices. Osborn was even giving away tax payers money trying to prop up the property market.

Throw in a possible downgrade to the UKs AAA rating, which will make borrowing a whole lot more expensive, and as the UK has a massive deficit funded by foreign money the whole things could come crashing down quite dramatically.

Oh almost forgot the pound crashing to a 30 year low against the dollar, and against all other world currencies.

All scary stuff indeed.

quote idun:  You have been filling in your impot forms and paying your taxes fonciere and hab, so they will know that you are resident.

Yes but for non EU you need ten years of legal (ie stable and regular, which means enough income to be self sufficient) residence.  I've already proved I had five, when I got into the CMU when my circumstances changed, but after that first five years, upon the change of circumstances, I had a break in income which would mean I wouldn't be classed as self sufficient for that period, so ten years of uninterrupted stable and regular residence I wouldn't have.  If they still allow us five years, I'll be ok.

[quote user="Grecian"] Oh almost forgot the pound crashing to a 30 year low against the dollar, and against all other world currencies. All scary stuff indeed.[/quote]

Those are just headline figures that make good reading, the pound against the euro is pretty much where it has been all year except for a few days and for a few micro-seconds before the results were known, they are all saying that it fell from €1.35, well it was only the multi-million speculators that saw that rate for a few micro-seconds, you can change money tomorrow for a similar rate that you have got all year which is far better then any rate in the last 8 years.

The pound rode steadily in the last week as did UK shares, there is always a correction after such unusual movements, my shares dropped 50p initially then finished the day down 12.5p, a disaster, not at all, they had risen by 50p in the last week, a huge volatility for a normally very stable stock.

Moody's just downgraded the UK credit rating, 'leave' saying think they might have to accept free movement anyway (good for us), Nigel Forage saying the NHS will probably have to be privatised, the prime minister resigns, so no effective government until October, Junker saying get out now and the Maire of Calais wanting to tear up the le Touquet agreement and move the UK border back to Dover. All within 24 hours. Looking good so far.

I noticed yesterday that the new major of London sent out a tweet to all EU expats living and working in London to say that regardless of the vote you will always be welcome to live and work in the capital and we value the contribution you make. Which I thought was great. That is being pro EU.

What message/tweet has France sent out to reassure those British expats living in France or wishing to move to France. Ummmm ???? Nothing. Nadda. Could they give a shît....no. Typically France. They really don't care and probably will hang every British expat out to dry given half the chance.

They have not even tweeted (like Spain did yesterday) to say that British tourists will always be welcome in France. The British represent the second largest population of tourists !!! .....you would think they might worry just a tad for this year given the massive contribution British tourists make to French tourism. Umm no.

Last nights French news was dominated about how well their elite expats were doing in the UK and about two minutes of some bloke in Eymet worried his pension. It was like British expats living in France are of no consequence and contribute nothing. It is so sad. It was like they were saying that it was only thanks to the EU and France you have French people working in London.

Whilst the UK voted out of the EU it is still more pro Europe than France will ever be. It really annoys me.

I really do hope that by voting out that the UK teaches the EU (and France in particular) a lesson in how to be pro Europe but don't actually have to belong to some dumb antiquated introverted institution that only promotes protectionism and arrogance.

"What message/tweet has France sent out to reassure those British expats living in France or wishing to move to France"

Why do you use the word 'expat'? Expats who have been placed abroad by their company or Government and will return to the home country at the end of the tour of duty are not the main issue.

Immigrants who have moved permanently to the other country are a different question.

I don't see any reason for France to reassure immigrants from a country that has voted to leave the Union.

That the Mayor of London chooses to reassure immigrants from the EU who are making a valuable contribution to his City that they are welcome despite the violent wave of media-manipulated xenophobia that has engulfed Britain is another matter.