Any shops open on Toussaint?

Paolo

Gosh, here in south 56 all the supermarkets are open this morning and even Castorama is open - but don't know the hours though.

If you are that desperate for a tumble-dryer I would try ringing your larger nearby electrical shop - they seem to be the ones that are open.

Sue

[quote]Is this a serious question or just posting an advert? Given it is a serious question, although it does not mention where in France they are located. Le Clerc in Brive just off the A20 is open today.[/quote]

Ron,

To save Paolo posting and where it might not come across right.

Paolo is a serious chap. He has a good site which helps anyone with a tourist related property etc to get together and discuss the common issues all of us have as well as being offered good advice as well. He has been with us a while and as far as I have always been aware, he is not after putting any silly Q's to put his site on.

Not only that, he is from around my old Manor !!

How's Kingston at the moment Paolo, bet the shops are building up business nicely for Christmas eh !! Are those phone boxes still cluttering up the path there ? Yeh, it's been a long time since I was there !

No shops open here after lunch. Well I haven't seen any to be aware of, one or two open, but my hunch is, that they will be very quiet.

[quote]Ron, To save Paolo posting and where it might not come across right.Paolo is a serious chap. He has a good site which helps anyone with a tourist related property etc to get together and discuss the c...[/quote]

Just to say that Paolo moved to Provence this week.

Hence the question, i imagine

Peter

Is provence having bad weather then or has Paolo got a large family or run a hotel, 26 degrees here over the past few days in perpignanshire, certainly no tumble drier needed here.

We went for a drive this morning that must have about 8 main supermakets en route, all were firmly closed.....only the florists and bakers were open,even the local presse had his sunday routine going, his fold up table with a pile of newspapers on.

Mrs O

Just to say that Paolo moved to Provence this week.

In that case I can say that in my little polluted part of Provence, Géant, Leclerc and Carrefour are all open (with special offers and extra points as well) but Intermarché is closed.

Is provence having bad weather then or has Paolo got a large family or run a hotel, 26 degrees here over the past few days in perpignanshire, certainly no tumble drier needed here.

I've had to use my tumble dryer for the first time since the summer this last week. We've had quite a bit of rain and some very grey days. It was lovely today but I've run out of washing

[quote]I didn't know Paolo was from Kingston! Are you old enough to remember the trolleybuses?[/quote]

Who me Dick ?

As kids, if Chelsea were away, we used to go to Fulham or the Bees. For the Bees, if we didn't take the train, that meant getting the bus (pre routemaster !) and changing at Hounslow (opposite the Duke of Wellington) and getting the trolley bus to the half acre in Brentford. I can recall just how smooth and quiet they were, compared to the bus

Do I remember, well sort of, it is what happened this morning that's giving me problems !!

Blimey, just checking back in case anyone else needed thanking for replying, and look at all these posts! We moved to Provence on Thursday and the washing is piling up - it doesn't seem to dry very quickly outside, but then again it was left out in the rain last night. Two toddlers = lots of washing.

Dick - we moved from Kingston after 5 years there, so I can't say I am from there - no trolley-bus memories I'm afraid (wasn't that in the time of Victoria?) My wife was born and bred in Kingston and she can't remember trolley-buses either (there's an awful lot of things she can't remember though).

Here's another boring question - I reckon every big chain or hypermarche is driveable from here - where would you choose to buy a tumble dryer or fridge? Back in England I would have toddled down to John Lewis because I don't like aggressive sales staff who don't know anything about what they are selling.

Paolo

I think the trolleybuses left Kingston in about 1962. When they came around the tight corner at the Apple Market sometimes the trolley poles wwould detach from the power wires, and the conductor would have to put them back on with a long bamboo pole - lots of fumbling, sparks and under-breath swearing. Small boys clustered on the corner to see the fun. Of course, entertainment wasn't as sophisticated in those days...

Here's another boring question - I reckon every big chain or hypermarche is driveable from here - where would you choose to buy a tumble dryer or fridge? Back in England I would have toddled down to John Lewis because I don't like aggressive sales staff who don't know anything about what they are selling.

Like Coco, my first choice would be Darty the sales staff know slightly more than those in hypermarkets and the service après vente is good (for france) But since our darty is further away than any of the hypers, we have bought our fridge, tumble dryer etc at Géant or Carrefour for the most part. The hypermarket own brands are good. They are often well known brands with the supermarket lable on them.

BUT are also good , BUT, I have found on the 2 occassions that I have purchased something there , the sales staff have always tried to sell me the higher priced model even though I have expressed interest in the  cheaper.

You can walk away within 10 mins with a freezer in your boot, after paying for it of course

Mrs O

I prefer Darty to BUT, the sales staff are a bit better and the delivery service is excellent. When I bought some DVDs for the gites they set everthing and checked it was all working. I've never had a problem with Carrefour either (48hrs delivery too). Its too much hassle with BUT to hire a van and deliver stuff yourself. Regarding after sales, I prefer GITEM - although you pay a bit more, they are local always come out the same day if I have any problems.