Bird Flu

Cat

I saw on the news last night that Dominique de Villepin has announced a total ban on keeping poultry outside, covering every department in France.

We were in the process of rebuilding a small stone tumbledown building on our land to keep chickens, but it is only suitable as a night roost.  We haven't yet got any chickens, and I wouldn't feel happy confining the poor things in a building of that size 24 hours a day.  So for the time being we're going to hold back.

How will those of you that keep chickens deal with this?  Will you continue regardless, do you have the facilities to confine your chickens to a building?  Would you actually want to do this?  What are your alternatives?

I think it said that geese, ducks and (maybe) turkeys would have to be inoculated too. Plus an exclusion zone of three km if the flu is found. (This does not exclude people of course). Precautions about how to approach the birds, dress etc.

Our friend has just been to the Mairie in his village (north 16) who said that he's had no official notification yet about local restrictions. May be as well to go to your own Mairies on Monday (school holidays permitting as ours is closed next week for les conges) to get up to date info.

In our rural area most domestic poultry are free range, including ours, and have little hen houses for night time. Luckily my friend has offered bed and board to our 4 as he able to put them in a barn with his for the duration but he's culling his cockerels, turkey, guinea fowl, ducks and geese as they can't/won't live inside.

This is crazy! A helicopter has just done a low circle over the hamlet! Hopefully they are still looking for pool fencing!

It will be interesting to hear what the official take on this is.  Although someone said that in Switzerland they had got around the "containing" of poultry by netting over the tops of the runs, a Swiss news report says  "The poultry must remain indoors under a solid roof where no wild fowl or droppings can enter,"

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L15685484.htm

This could well be due to the fact that avian flu is spread by contaminated bird droppings.

Not looking good for our fine feathered friends [:(]

For the time being, the authorities here in France seem to saying that

netting will be adequate. As much as anything, they seem concerned that

poultry keepers may simply ignore the rule if it is to difficult to

follow!!

Innoculation of ducks and geese (in addition to keeping them under

cover) will be required for birds being reared in three departements

(Vendée, Loire Atlantique and Landes) as an additional precaution as

these departements have large wildfowl populations.

This afternoon, dead swans from near Lyon and dead ducks from somewhere

near Paris (didn't catch where) are being tested for the virus.

[quote user="jond"]For the time being, the authorities here in France seem to saying that netting will be adequate. As much as anything, they seem concerned that poultry keepers may simply ignore the rule if it is to difficult to follow!!

[/quote]

I was speaking to my vet yesterday and he said that although netting eg fruit tree netting would be OK to put round existing pens, there must be a solid roof to avoid wild birds perching and pooing through. He also said that if we had the room, he would advise us to move them indoors, because he thought that would be the next step. Again, we had helicopters circling this morning...........doubtful they were looking for pool fencing, not a vast number of pools in my neck of the woods! Apparently the gendarmes in some regions have been out and about noting addresses of houses where there are chickens etc, and once the regs have been fully implemented, they will be carrying out spot checks.

Regards

Chris

[quote user="Sc"]

The French Min of Ag has announced today (Friday

17th) that it's very likely that a duck found dead in the Ain

department died of the H5N1 virus. Here's the link on the TF1

website:  http://news.tf1.fr/news/sciences/0,,3284888,00.html?trk=100

Steve

[/quote]

So far (11pm) only H5 type confirmed, not yet certain H5N1...anyone want some money on it?

I saw this on the news this morning. I shall wait a week then I suspect the price of chicken in the supermarket will fall through the floor. I have two shelves already empty to fill and have found loads of chicken recipies. I remeber when the BSE thing was going on in the UK we filled one complete freezer with beef when they couldn't give it away.

At  08-00 this morning  when the work experience boy was writing the headlines, BBC News 24 in a  desperate attempt to fill another hour before the journalists got out of bed,  announced "Boots the chemists were training their staff to detect the symptoms of Bird Flu[8-)][:^)]

So Mr quackers, you are feeling listless, have a sore throat, runny nose and a sneeze like Orville?  Well I think you might have bird flu"

" How do you know? 

" I have been trained by Boots to detect bird flu symptoms, could you just ait over there while a find something sharp"

"Oh Merde"

When the story was actually explained in good news 24 fashion that was not what Boots had done at all.  The actual story was that Boots had trained their staff to advise humans about bird flu, like keep away from ducks with a cough and a sneeze.[:)]

[quote user="Quillan"]I saw this on the news this morning. I shall wait

a week then I suspect the price of chicken in the supermarket will fall

through the floor. I have two shelves already empty to fill and have

found loads of chicken recipies. I remeber when the BSE thing was going

on in the UK we filled one complete freezer with beef when they

couldn't give it away.[/quote]

Quite a lot of Italian chicken is already making its way to the UK

following a collapse of the domestic market in Italy. Wholesale prices

(normally about £1 / kg) are expected to drop to around 40p.

I can't help wondering if it might be better for the EU to discourage

such movements at this time. Not so much to protect the UK poultry

farmer (who, unlike his continental collagues, is unlikely to get any

help from the UK government and will be left to the mercy of the

market) but because there is some evidence that this disease is

spreading not so much along migration routes but along trade routes.

This may be a case of extrapolating from too little data, but the

agricultural industry is already starting to bend facts to fit theory

(never a smart idea), and, let's face it, factory farming interests

have been somewhat economic with providing data in the past as the

fiascos that were  BSE, foot & mouth and swine fever bear

witness.

I saw a snippet on French news on friday which showed a chicken processing factory and all the workers were wearing protective clothes and masks, is this usual?

If the employees of such places are taking extra precautions then it doesn't bode well with me that these chickens should be entering the food chain.

[quote user="Monika"]This ban has been in Switzerland since autumn 2005

but most people get over it by netting over the chicken/duck/geese

"outside space", so they still can be outside which I think is so much

better than locked indoors.[/quote]

Netting won't work.  Flu is transferred through droppings.

[quote user="viva"]

I saw a snippet on French news on friday which

showed a chicken processing factory and all the workers were wearing

protective clothes and masks, is this usual?

If the employees of such places are taking extra

precautions then it doesn't bode well with me that these chickens

should be entering the food chain.

[/quote]

That's normal - just routine hygine.