What British Food Have you served your French Friends Which they Loved?

On a lighter note, this thread: or intending to be!

Let's see how long it takes to go off topic![;-)]

We have cooked the following which they loved.

British style BBQ, with hot American style BBQ sauce. In fact they all liked this so much, I got roped in to cook a BBQ for a local family and friends of 30 people, for a birthday. They asked to borrow my big charcoal BBQ and invited us. When I arrived they all looked and it soon transpired that I was supposed to do all the cooking as well! Great evening as I wasn't driving.

Now I'm expected to BBQ for mobs of 'em![blink]

Chilli Con carne.(Hot!)[6][6]

Devilled sardines and prawns.[6]

Beef cobbler.

Afternoon tea with toasted hot cross buns.

My master butcher mate's pork breakfast sausages.

Gave some fresh prawns with Hellmans Mayonaise to our neighbour, the Maire the other day - he loved them.  Got hubby to pick him up a jar in the UK.  Well, it doesn't hurt to keep on the right side of the Maire now, does it![;-)]

They love my

Irish stew,

Beef in Guinness,

Apple crumble,

Steak & Kidney pie

Lamb vindaloo - any curry actually.  I know it's not "british" but we've adopted it so... all the chutneys and raitas and  naam bread and they worship onion bahjis!

Well, from my experience, and I stand to be corrected here, Kathy, is pork, beef steak and chicken: without any prior prep.

We do marinades and pre-cooking (especially chicken!), etc.

Basically, I believe that they are similar, with regional differences.

In the USA they seem to throw huge steaks on the grill and that's about it.

By "British Style" (and Welsh, Irish and Scots members will note that I did not say "English", I trust [;-)]), I mean average reasonable food and not "Up Asdas" greasy burgers and pre-packed Urghh![blink].

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

Christmas Pud - not served though: we brought a couple of mini ones back for our neighbours after Christmas.

Not loved either: they hated them!  Probably tried to cook them saignant

[/quote]

On a barbecue?!

A selection of English cheeses like Double Gloucester with chives, Sage Derby, White Stilton with Apricot, Wenslydale with cranberries and extra mature Chedder all good stuff from a farm shop and the chedder went down a storm my buddy Fil from Merlimont couldn't believe it was Chedder as he said what they get is soapy,waxy  tasteless stuff[:D] Also best pork sausages from Windsor farm shop which they loved and insisted on calling the Queens sausage[blink]

We are going to a car meet with them all again in central France next month and we are trying to decide what British foods we could take this time... any suggestions??

Harley - I gave one of our neighbours some home made lemon curd,

together with a loaf of wholemeal bread, made with hovis flour Also

gave my other neighbour a loaf. They were pleased but never came back

to me to say how nice it was. So I don't know if they loved it or not.

Pat.

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

Christmas Pud - not served though: we brought a couple of mini ones back for our neighbours after Christmas.

Not loved either: they hated them!  Probably tried to cook them saignant

[/quote]

A matter of taste, Ian? I am not a great lover of traditional Christmas pud: prefer the old mince pies.

My wife makes an excellent old style one, which is left to mature for months and well dosed with brandy and whisky.

One of our French friends has mentioned how he had eaten "Plum Pudding" in England, years ago, so she made one for the family and we gave them recipes for both brandy sauce and brandy butter and instructions on how to cook the pud and serve it flambe.

The loved it and can't wait until next year!

Traditional cold stuff, Bassman? Real Melton Mowbray pork pie? Real Cornish pasties, with meat and carrot one end and jam the other? York Ham? Cold sausage and onion pie?

Off topic, what's the car meet? (Gluestick smacks own wrist** for going off topic![6]).

By Merlimont, is it the place in the Pas de Calais, near us? Great seafood and poisson place there, right on the beach! Yummy! I Can't wait for Summer again.[B]

Funny that, Dick. One of the first "necessaries" we took over was a great big tin of Colman's mustard powder from the wholesalers!

Love Dijon and whole grain mustard in earthenware pots, but strong English mustard takes some beating: our French friends love it, too.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Green & Blacks chocolate seems popular..[/quote]

I loooove Green and Blacks chocolate - sheesh I'm hungry now a this talk about melton mowbray pork pie and crumble and christmas pud and.....

Hastobe <who is now drooling>

Bollox! Americans, and I am one, barbecue all sorts of things in various regions of the country.

My wife (English) and I shared a bottle of my homemade apple wine with an elderly French couple on a campsite in France and they thoroughly enjoyed it. In return, they went to their caravan and brought back several bottles of an odd beer and whisky mixture which we all enjoyed.  As my wife speaks reasonable French, we got on quite well.

I am drinking some of the apple wine as I tpye.

Kathy ......... on a barbeque? Possibly, but I doubt that even the culinary-challenged Michel is that daft, and his wife Jacqueline certainly isn't. Just wasn't for them I guess.

Gluestick ..... Ummm: not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I love it. Best with a good dose of brandy sauce.

As for suggestions for a British feast, my favourite pub meal at a place I used to frequent:

Liver & bacon, chips and baked beans.  All washed down with a nice pint of bitter.  Just the job!