Never mind the French....it's FRANCE that's boring!

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]Maggi, I think you have the spirit to cause quite a stir in the village.  Follow your free spirit.  Do everything (within reason of course) that you want. [/quote]

That's fine, Katie, but it's more fun to be outrageous with like-minded friends, not solo! [:D]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, I found life in Los Angeles a lot more boring than life here in rural France.  People were too busy and wrapped up in their own lives to have time for others.  Traffic made doing "things" complicated, and after doing a lot of "things" for many years, I find being home working on what interests me far more entertaining.

Mr. Possum and I find that we don't have time to get borred.  Of course, we are lucky that we can work no matter where we live as long as we have an internet connection, but I truly find that there is more to do here if we want to, and access is sometimes easier because there are no traffic jams.

I suppose it is down to what one needs to keep them happy.  If I've got books, people with whom I can chat, activities that interest me, etc., I don't find I get bored at all.

As to the age thing, that's never been a particular issue with us.  We've got friends in all age ranges and don't find it difficult to make friends with any of them.  Clearly, one always has peope with whom they are closer, but the age issue is never part of the reason.

PG

[quote user="catalpa"]

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]Maggi, I think you have the spirit to cause quite a stir in the village.  Follow your free spirit.  Do everything (within reason of course) that you want. [/quote]

That's fine, Katie, but it's more fun to be outrageous with like-minded friends, not solo! [:D]

[/quote]

Oh I don't know Catalapa.  It is more outrageous on your own.  I would love to have the guts to be a wildchild.  I am working on it though.  When I am 65 I want to be arrested for smoking something I shouldnt be in Woolworth.  I have 25 years to think about it.

I think when you move to France, you really should take into account location (Obviously). Personally, I love the countryside but I think I would start rocking and muttering if I lived there for more than a month.

[quote user="bixy"] My neighbour in the UK had no interests, no hobbies, he didn't read, he didn't even watch television. When he retired he was suddenly faced with the prospect of endless years of doing nothing. He panicked and moved to Spain, where he was faced with . . . endless years of doing nothing. Now he wants to come back to the UK, where he will be faced with. . . .
[/quote]

I used to look after an elderly couple living accross the lane from me here in Wales. Every day without fail, the gentleman (91) would go into town on the bus or if I needed to go I would offer him a lift.  He would do his errands and return home with the Financial Times. He was a retired bank manager so I supposed he wanted to keep up with his savings, pensions etc...

I nosily once asked him for some advice, if he had gleaned some from the FT, on some shares I wanted to buy. His reply was 'I don't read the paper! I add up all the columns top to bottom, in the share prices list!'

Now is that killing boredom or what?.... [blink]

[quote user="Debra"][quote user="white-van-man"]I'm also in my early 40's, female, no children and white-can-man is the other half. I took redundancy to come, have I moved too early? The place seems split between younger people with children or retirees. My age group is very thin on the ground i.e. not found any, including our lovely French neighbours.[/quote]You could consider having a baby and then you'll have plenty to talk about with the younger people with children or the retirees with grandchildren!  You'll also have a fascinating ongoing project which requires lots of concentration and energy and you'll never have time to be bored again!  I might be biased, being in my early 40's too and pregnant............[/quote]

Nice one Debra!!

I must admit I found rural France a real struggle.  We came here with OH's work, and with the genuine belief that we could live the life.  It didn't take long before reality hit home though.  I thought I was going out of my mind.  I remember our first village fete, I was holding back the tears!!

I'm not knocking it for others, I've met some lovely folks who are really happy here, it just isn't for me.  We're now back in town, en route back to out adopted home later this year.  We've had two years here, and it's not all been bad. However, with two little ones, and another on the way, we just need to be in a place where there's lots going on.......[:)]

I can relate to the original post.  My first year in France was spent at a rental home while searching for "the" home to buy.  My time was filled with registering my daughter at school, making sure I kept up with that, and trying to get to know the area where I found myself (whilst seeing more than 65 houses in that year).  I did have moments of lonliness as my husband works in another country and was not there to share his or my events from each day.  My language skills were sad and that didn't help.

Now, I've been here just over 5 years.  I would say that after the first two, I did feel like we might not have fully understood "life in the countryside."  I did feel lonely and did think now and then that perhaps we might have been happier in a larger city.  I think, for me, it was a phase.  It has passed and I love it where I am.  There most definitely is NOT a huge amount to do and I don't like the fact that I have to drive 35 kms to do any REAL shopping, but other things make up for that.  There are plenty of clubs and local organisations I could join.  Maybe one day I will, but for now, I am pretty busy just running a household, keeping a garden and raising an adolescent.

I can truly understand how this type of life might not be for everyone.

Congrats Debra ! 

[quote user="Debra"][quote user="white-van-man"]I'm also in my early 40's, female, no children and white-can-man is the other half. I took redundancy to come, have I moved too early? The place seems split between younger people with children or retirees. My age group is very thin on the ground i.e. not found any, including our lovely French neighbours.[/quote]You could consider having a baby and then you'll have plenty to talk about with the younger people with children or the retirees with grandchildren!  You'll also have a fascinating ongoing project which requires lots of concentration and energy and you'll never have time to be bored again!  I might be biased, being in my early 40's too and pregnant............[/quote]

Debra, whilst I congratulate you on your forthcoming Happy event I have to say that if i found myself in your position( not likely due to the use of 2 house bricks !!!) I certainly would have something more in common with the average french housewife, I should be visiting the doc for tranx!

[:)][:)][:)]

I think being bored is just a state of mind......................

As a bored person have you ever asked your self what do i want to do to stop being bored ? most people i have met (who say they are bored) dont have a clue, I was in a car accident 4 years ago and was stuck in bed for nearly a year, and was not once bored, I read ,played on my laptop(learnt loads) started to learn french, watched telly, was visited daily by my cats dogs husband friends and even 3 times by the local vicar...(even though i have never been to church) now im not a couch potatoe, I like to horse ride , walk, swim, garden, cook, shop, get drunk, go to plays cimerma ect... but i was forced to stay still and just made the most of it. since getting better i have given up working 60 hours a week and now only do 3 days aweek and i fill my time with all the above, so it dosnt matter what country you are in if you are a bored person ,then your a bored person.

We have moved a number of times and each time have hard to make new friends and it is hard, but dont force it dont look for it and it will happen, just put your self out there.............your best friends will always be you and your hubby

Dont lisen to these broody women, babies ahhhhh[:'(]  now maybe a dog! get you out a bit........

I am also in my 4mummbleTsomthing years and still like to be a rebel sometimes, so cerise i will be there with you when we are 60 smoking something good in woolworths. In fact i cant wait..........................   

[quote user="pads"]

Dont lisen to these broody women, babies ahhhhh[:'(]  now maybe a dog! get you out a bit........

[/quote]

Seconded! 

When we arrived we were amazed at the number of clubs (about 40) there are just in our commune/village of 1000 people.  I wouldn't touch most with a barge pole (not into being thrashed at Scrabble in French, don't want to play '17', too old to take up Judo) but there is something for most tastes - even if it's just the walking club (9.00am every Sunday outside the church, drive off and park up somewhere to explore another part of the region) or the keep-fat classes.

Sorry for going off thread.  It seems most people can on the forum except me.  Anyway Debra, be careful with water dogs, they have been bred for a purpose and will indeed be drawn to water in most cases.  Gun dogs are happiest when covered in mud which may also be the case with a labradoodle should the labrador genes come through more.

OK we had better get back to France being boring.  Oh yes.  Can you imagine cleaning up after a dirty dog in France everyday.  How boring would that be?

Some people a) choose not to have  or  b) can't have children. I sympathise with the original poster - if I didn't have the gite business or work in Rennes, I would be climbing the walls in the country too. I have several friends of a similar age out here, but as most of them work there is rarely anyone around in the daytime apart from the retired neighbours and agriculteurs. There is an English lady who lives nearby to me, who was a young retiree (50ish)  and found herself  a little bored out here, having been here a few years. She now helps out in the local village library. As well as keeping her occupied it has helped improve her French, too.