Lousy Weather

Gardian

Well, having had 'la canicule' for part of June and all of July, it's all gone downhill from there.

Down here, windy and gusty from about the 6th Aug and since Saturday last it's been bloody awful. Thunder & lightning throughout last night, heavy rain (though we needed it) and more wind again today. We've 'holidayed' down this neck of the woods for years and never known it so dodgy in the holiday season.  The campers were packing up en masse this morning after a mini-tornado uprooted a tree on their site. Happily, nobody hurt. All washed out too.

It'll improve (hope so for anyone coming down this weekend!), but funny old weather this year.

What's it like elsewhere? 

Ian,

After donkey's years of living or being in France, it has always been

the same after the 15th August.  Many French  will start to

pack up and go home, not all but in many areas, a very significant

number see the weekend after the 15 août as the end of their summer holidays.

As far as the weather, when did one summer mimic the one before !

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

It'll improve (hope so for anyone coming down this weekend!), but funny old weather this year.

What's it like elsewhere? 

[/quote]

Well June and July were so hot I don't mind a break from it myself.

We had some excellent and much needed rain yesterday (for about 2 hours) and today, for about 20 minutes.

I hope it picks up a bit for friends who will be staying nearby from Sunday - that wind is a bit chilly[Www]

It's been heaving down here for two or three days - not all the time but daily, lots of thunder and lightning in our little micro climate.  Gardens and farmers do need the rain though, topping up the water butts and the like for us.

The marche gourmand in St Cyprien was a total wash out again last evening - seems Thursday is a good day for rain here, coincides with the evening markets, poor sods with stalls must have lost a packet. 

>>>Well, having had 'la canicule' for part of June and all of July, it's all gone downhill from there.......Down here, windy and gusty from about the 6th Aug and since Saturday last it's been bloody awful. ....... The campers were packing up ...... What's it like elsewhere? <<<

Are you describing Wales as it is NOW since the last week or so and WILL BE until the August Bank Holiday IS OVER !!!???

The real campers (those with tents!) have gone.

Now we have the dormobiles/campervans and their drivers who can't drive for toffee and certainly can't follow safe instructions to get to their allocated pitch!!!

So out goes the tractor before they dig a shaft to Australia...

Oh well! only 3 more or so weeks of this and September is here.

Shop will be shut and I'll be on holiday! Where ?? in FRANCE of course!! Yeehaa!!

I've seen quite a few bad Augusts up here in 29 over the years and this is no exception. The real holiday hot months here are June and July, never August which officially ends on the 15th in farming circles  as the harvests are long gathered in, the winter caulis are already planted and folks are getting their wood piles in. Saying that, we have swum in the sea in October and in March but that is a rare event. I noticed this morning coming by the beach campsite that many spaces were vacant compared to three weeks ago when it was full to bursting. The weather here dosn't look set to improve much either before Sunday evening with more rain and wind forecast although at this moment it is nice and sunny but certainly not hot.Reckon a lot of folks will be heading home tomorrow or Sunday if they are stuck in tents and caravans.

I do feel sorry for those making their money with tourists, but I have to admit that I'm really enjoying the change in weather.  And, as substitute librarian in our village, it is keeping me busy, because lots of people are coming in to borrow books and use the internet.

PG

[quote user="Chris Head"]

I'm lovin' it! Work without being drenched in sweat all day and sleep without a force 10 gale from the fan all night!

Chris

[/quote]

Can't remember which movie it was, but someone said "You need to rid yourself of all those bad juices". (I'm paraphrasing somewhat!)

I agree: reckon that all my bad juices have been well and truly rid.  However, it has been a bit of a contrast.  Better today & the (usually crappy) French forecast is for it to be nice & warm for the next few days.

Miki is right - when was a Summer ever predictable?

[quote user="PossumGirl"]And, as substitute librarian in our village, it is keeping me busy, because lots of people are coming in to borrow books and use the internet.
[/quote]

You have internet access in your village library????????

Merde alors, my son's collège of 800 pupils doesn't even have that!

I'm not sure what to expect from one minute to the next today - bright sunshine one minute, downpours the next.  Doesn't bother me too much, in fact it's a relief not to have to water the garden, but a bit sad for those who are just on a week's holiday. 

At least the forecast [Www] is looking better for holidaymakers once the weekend is out of the way.

[quote user="Cassis"]Blame Britain.   All our bad weather comes from there - be it a heatwave or a downpour - according to our neighbours.
[/quote]

Ditto.  Also any terrorists.  The only 'terrorist' around here is the 16yo lad who rides one of those excruciatingly noisy 15cc motorbikes at 20kph past my table in the Cafe du Midi when I'm having a quiet beer.

One of these days, I'm going to do what Steve McQueen did in the Great Escape.  Or am I too old and grumpy?

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

Ditto.  Also any terrorists.  The only 'terrorist' around here is the 16yo lad who rides one of those excruciatingly noisy 15cc motorbikes at 20kph past my table in the Cafe du Midi when I'm having a quiet beer.

[/quote]

Ian, Mr. Possum assures me that long ago, when the world was still in black-and-white, the kids he grew up with had these same hideous motorbikes.  Apparently, you love them when you're 16, but as you grow older, you are genetically programmed to wish to take them all out with a bazooka.

PG

Very strange weather.  Got in the pool yesterday for the first time in days.  Had been wearing long pants and long sleeves for a few days.  After five years here, I don't remember an August like this.  However, my neighbors tell me August is always like this... oh well, so much for my memory.  Yes, I did see on the weather channel that warmer days are in the forecast.  I'm glad as I'm not quite ready for summer to end.  Even saw some potimarrons and butternut squash at the supermarket a couple of days ago.  Couldn't buy them though as, to me, they are not to be eaten until Fall...

Saligobay - your son's college doesn't have Internet access??  Wow, that is strange.  Our daughter's college (750 students) has had a teaching salon for two years now.  However, our library doesn't have it... village does though - offers it at the primary school during certain hours.

I was out cutting the fields yesterday and we had a hail storm. It was not too cold and the hail melted virtually immediately but it was definitely hail as one could see it bouncing when it hit the ground and it lasted briefly before melting.

Ian

This is our ninth summer with the house and although we're not always here (South west) this month I have it on very good authority that the weather is often very unreliable from mid august onwards.  Anyone remember 2003 when it rained practically every day for the entire month of august yet it was a wonderful Indian summer and hot (30s) from september through to mid october.  Unless you've got kids and are tied to school holidays I can't understand why everyone insists on visiting this month, especially as everywhere is also so crowded and you pay over the odds for everything too.

Sorry JayJay - I was being totally selfish on that one.  I will hope Michel is wrong about the second have of his prediction.

Supposed to be 32 degrees down here today.  Will be happily jumping in the pool !  I'm so glad there is still a bit of summer left here.

I just keep remembering last winter when we were well below freezing temps in mid November and that didn't let up for a long time.  Not looking forward to that.