Pigs in France!

TefkaC

• 2 weeks later...

I find what Mr. D*** Head posted quite offensive and disgusting in response to a question about bringing over some prized pigs. I am not the least bit civilized when I see an idiot post something like this but very impressed with the original poster's civilized non-response.

I didn't see anything offensive about Chris Head's pic. You may find it offensive if you are of the veggie persusion but otherwise it is a realistic rendering of a pig being gutted. This is how you get your pork chops, it's not  pleasant but thats life. You dont see many piggies turning their toes up from old age.

Yorky

Well it is to me! As much as it may be a fact of life the poster asked about importing a prized pig by the name of Josephine to the Loire. I found it most reprehensible and in extremely poor taste! Anyone that would find that photo and subject slightly amusing under any circumstances (even talking about sausages) but particularly in this situation, well, as I said before is a bit of a D*** Head!

[quote user="WJT"]

I find what Mr. D*** Head posted quite offensive and disgusting in response to a question about bringing over some prized pigs. I am not the least bit civilized when I see an idiot post something like this but very impressed with the original poster's civilized non-response.

[/quote]

Perhaps the original poster ( Charlie ) was not actually offended, particularly if the sow in question is for breeding (as opposed to a pet), the resulting piglets being raised for food. After all, thats why people have 'prized' sows, for breeding stock.

I think you have to also realise that in some rural communities killing a pig and preparing it in this way is traditional. I went clay target shooting near Lleida in Spain one new years day and a pig was killed in the morning and we ate it in the afternoon. In southern germany it is normal for a pig to be killed on wednesday and on thursday you will find schlachtplatte served ( a selection of bits of the pig)on the menu (especially hotels with a butcher and or a farm attached). So there you are if you come across this in your community go with the flow, it's called integration.

Yorky   

Yes, I do understand that people eat pig. But most people don't think the killing or slaughter of a pig amusing. I think the post by Head was in very bad taste and am surprised that anyone would try and justify such a post on this thread. Yes, the original poster might be planning on breeding for food but they did not indicate this. The photo and the comments are offensive.

And for anyone to say that for one to become integrated in France one must find the slaughtering of a pig amusing, well, I think speaks for itself [blink]. In fact I think anyone wanting to take such a photo also speaks volumes.

WJT

Why didn't you just report the thread rather than make a song and dance out of it.  All you are doing is drawing attention to it and therefore encourging more people to look at it.

I eat meat, but don't necessarily want to see pictures of dead animals, but if a picture offended me enough on this forum I would just ask for it to be pulled.

I didn't say I found it amusing but it is a fact of life if you are going to eat meat someone has to kill the animal. Now if you are reluctant to face up to that tough. What I was trying to point out is that the approach in rural,rather isolated and possibly a little bit "behind" the times community,  is different to say that of a urban community, in for example the uk. It is very very difficult to define "offensive" so why don't we all get back on track and help Charlie get good old Josaphine to the Loire, so that in the fullness of time, she is able to hopefully provide some of us with a choice pork chop or two.

Yorky 

Eating meat involves killing animals. If this is offensive to you then become a vegetarian and have principles.I hate the hypocrisy of people who eat meat but pretend that it just appears in the supermarket as if by magic. I can't respect this sort of opinion at all and it has nothing to do with whether you live in a town or the country.

Disck commented: "No, no, no - you are all wrong! Pork comes in plastic packets in the supermarket! No pritty animals are harmed in its production..."

Unfortunately with all the chemicals used these days you might just be right. some of the Bien Vu stuff tastes like plasticised tarpaulin.

Ian

But as to the question:

If you are importing for commercial reasons you need to contact Ministère de l’Agriculture,de l'Alimentation, de la Pêche et des Affaires Rurales (78, rue de Varenne 75349 PARIS 07 SP or [email protected]

Alternatively you could contact the British Consulate Agriculture Section in Paris on 01 44 51 33 13 (in France) or [email protected]. They can be difficult to get hold of on occasions because they are not a massive department and may be busy elsewhere. Try a couple of times over a few days and you should get through OK. In my experience they are very helpful - but I was not trying to bring pigs into the country.

If you are in France you might ask your local vet. Whilst they probably would not know, provided they are "of a helpful nature" they should be able to find the information you need.

Ian

I think the Gloucester Old Spotted pig is the most beautiful pig in the whole wild world!

The first pig I ever hugged was one of these lovely creatures, her name was Ann, and she lived in the Cheddar Gorge. 

I only have a lovely china pig now, because it is illegal to keep a real pig in Upper Beagle between the hours of 8am and 10pm. I don't think it is worthwhile getting a real pig in after 10 at night only to leave at 8 the next morning.

I hope Josephine gets to France and enjoys her life there!

[kiss]

[quote user="KathyC"]Eating meat involves killing animals. If this is offensive to you then become a vegetarian and have principles.I hate the hypocrisy of people who eat meat but pretend that it just appears in the supermarket as if by magic. I can't respect this sort of opinion at all and it has nothing to do with whether you live in a town or the country.[/quote]

It is interesting that you think you know what I eat and believe I think meat appears magically, by the way who are you?  But obviously you see nothing wrong with posting a photo of a pig that has just been slaughtered that is meant to be an amusing joke. It is funny, because I too cannot respect this sort of opinion at all and it has nothing to do with whether you live in a town or the country or work in a slaughterhouse for that matter.

By the way, Dotty I think it was, I would never think about reporting a thread, I personally found it completely unfunny and distasteful but obviously some others do not see it that way. I have never agreed with posts being pulled so I for one would never go to a moderator and complain.

Corrrr WJT can I have a pint of what you're on please? I like your passion, but I wish you could come up with some more original slants on my surname, by the way I wanted to call my oldest son Richard but got shouted down. I figured he's grow up to get tough, like the Boy Named Sue!

As to my mentality, well I am a bit nutty and perhaps my mental health could be questioned on occasion!

The picture is where food comes from WJT, the pig grew up happily, ate properly, wasn't transported and wasn't stressed, she was bought from a local farmer and the local butcher was paid to cut her up, I buy from my freinds and neighbours whenever possible, I'd rather help them than the big supermarkets.

I put the round in her head myself, I don't enjoy killing in the slightest, but it's honest, to her and to me. I am prepared to take the life of any animal I eat,it just seems more honourable to me. I also kill trees that have been standing for a long time, again I don't enjoy killing the tree but I see the process through from start to finish, I care about where my trees come from too.

I guess you wouldn't appreciate a picture of Larry the lamb having his throat cut?

By the way, if you were face to face with me WJT, would you be addressing me as D i c k Head or Head? My name is Chris 'WJT'.