Pigs in France!

TefkaC

[quote user="WJT"]

[quote user="KathyC"]Eating meat involves killing animals. If this is offensive to you then become a vegetarian and have principles.I hate the hypocrisy of people who eat meat but pretend that it just appears in the supermarket as if by magic. I can't respect this sort of opinion at all and it has nothing to do with whether you live in a town or the country.[/quote]

It is interesting that you think you know what I eat and believe I think meat appears magically, by the way who are you?  But obviously you see nothing wrong with posting a photo of a pig that has just been slaughtered that is meant to be an amusing joke. It is funny, because I too cannot respect this sort of opinion at all and it has nothing to do with whether you live in a town or the country or work in a slaughterhouse for that matter.

By the way, Dotty I think it was, I would never think about reporting a thread, I personally found it completely unfunny and distasteful but obviously some others do not see it that way. I have never agreed with posts being pulled so I for one would never go to a moderator and complain.

[/quote]

WJT

My post wasn't in reply to yours, if it had been I would have quoted you. What on earth do you mean  "by the way who are you?"

The one thing you've said that I agree with is that I see nothing wrong with a picture of a slaughtered pig. Chris has expressed himself very well and in a way that is respectful to animals reared for meat. I think that we should all think more carefully about where our food comes from and make informed decisions about what we eat.

I think the point that I would make, Chris, very simply is that the opening question, to which you replied with the photo, was this.

"Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am trying to get information on importing Josaphine to the Liore, she's a Gloucester Old Spot pig! DEFRA were no help. Any pointers gratefully accepted."

So, maybe your response was not exactly appropriate, it had nothing to do with the question being asked. On a different thread, lets say, "slaughtering animals", there would being nothing wrong with either the photo or your views on the subject, which generally I probably agree with.

It's to do with being appropriate, time and place.

Chris 

[quote user="chris pp"]

I think the point that I would make, Chris, very simply is that the opening question, to which you replied with the photo, was this.

"Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am trying to get information on importing Josaphine to the Liore, she's a Gloucester Old Spot pig! DEFRA were no help. Any pointers gratefully accepted."

So, maybe your response was not exactly appropriate, it had nothing to do with the question being asked. On a different thread, lets say, "slaughtering animals", there would being nothing wrong with either the photo or your views on the subject, which generally I probably agree with.

It's to do with being appropriate, time and place.

Chris 

[/quote]

Thank you Chris, a much more civilized and accurate response than mine. Again my response may have been passionate but being that the post was in such bad taste, I couldn't help myself [Www].

Yes, I do agree that if the subject was regarding slaughtering an animal then it would have been appropriate. But even a thread started about having a laugh about doing so would have received the same response from me. I know that others will disagree with this analogy but it is a good one: If someone was posting a question about dogs and then some idiot posted a photo of one being killed in China for a laugh, well to my mind the same sort of thing.  However, if the subject matter was a serious one about slaughtering dogs for food in the far east it and even the practise of skinning them alive,  would then be very appropriate. Regardless of whether Josephine the pig will be slaughtered or not as with Chris's point this was inappropriate and a disgusting way to try and get a cheap laugh.

Kathy, I am sorry if you were not referring to me, I would be interested to know to whom you were responding? The question I asked "who are you?" was simply because it sounded as if you were talking as if you knew me.

Quote "Thank you Chris, a much more civilized and accurate response than mine."....that wouldn't have been too difficult WJT. 

What is appropriate, when and where is down to individual character, mine is not the same as everybody elses, that's what makes us all individuals.

You haven't answered my question WJT, would you still be addressing me in the same manner whilst looking me in the eye, or is it easier behind a keyboard and pseudonym?

Chris

But we're not all serious people Chrispp, a high percentage of posts divert a long way from the original subject.

Oh gawd, that's all I need an anonymous female wanting to punch me lights out, I'll be hiding for awhile then....stick yer bra back on and go do some housework WJT!

I guess that's my idea for a pig sitting business down the pan then?

Chris

Methinks you misunderstand, Chris, strange as it may seem, I also have a lighter side, a "black" side even and a wicked sense of humour, but this was a serious question from a new "poster" and  I reckon it deserved a serious response.

Many times I read posts and find myself unable to respond appropriately, so I don't, I just keep out.

This also had nothing to do with a thread drifting, you didn't give it the chance to do that, yours was the first response.

Cheers for now, Chris

[quote user="WJT"]

Kathy, I am sorry if you were not referring to me, I would be interested to know to whom you were responding? The question I asked "who are you?" was simply because it sounded as if you were talking as if you knew me.

[/quote]

My response was aimed pretty generally; if I'd been writing in French I'd have used "on", which is a bit pretentious in English.

I'm afraid I feel quite strongly about people who eat meat but pretend they don't. A university friend converted to vegetarianism after sharing a house with me for a year. She said that the way I pointed out where a particular cut of meat would have been situated on my dog put her right off!

I think we're agreed that you wouldn't have posted what I did Chrispp, I did post it and nope, not a single regret, I guess that makes us different personalities eh? I'd love to see an inkling of your black humour sometime...bring it on wild boy!

Not a bad idea Saligo, chainsaw butchery, imagine the speed! I

D'ya reckon WJT has stopped chucking her toys out of the pram yet? That's TWO Christmas cards I don't get this year, do you eat meat WJT? If so where do get it from?

Happy Sunday to y'all!

Chris

I know its going off thread a touch, but the picture Chris posted reminded of our pig roast in the village,it is always on the sunday following assumption,it is reared on the farm in the village especially for this occasion,well I have never in my entire life tasted pork like it, the older lads get up at 4.30am to get it on the spit and cooked on a fire of oak, we all arrive at 12pm,the lads (some in their seventies) carve it all up, we are all allowed to go and get a bit of crackling before we sit down, it feeds well over 100 people and we all go back for cold in the evening,yes I did go ugh when I saw the picture,but its real life, I hope the tradition goes on for years in our village, I have certainly enjoyed it for the last 15years.