Favourite 'must see' in France...

Where to start?  The old city of Le Mans - like going back several hundred years.  Chenonceau - I know it's hackneyed but I just love the way the Chateau is built across the river.  Montmartre - no matter how touristy it gets, it still gives me a particular pleasure on a sunny day to sit in the square and have a drink in a cafe.  The hilltop village of St Suzanne in the Sarthe, glorious and so unspoilt.  The cliffs at Etretat - a favourite childhood spot that brings back memories of my first holidays here all those years ago...

[quote user="cooperlola"] The cliffs at Etretat - a favourite childhood spot that brings back memories of my first holidays here all those years ago...[/quote]

Blimey, there's a blast from the past.  I went on a fifth form school trip in, must be, 1982 and stayed at the youth hostel in Etretat  [blink]

[quote user="Mel "]Cooperlola - been trying to find St Suzanne on the map and failing miserably - where is it near?[/quote]My fault, because it is actually just in the Mayenne which may explain why you could not find it!

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-Suzanne_%28Mayenne%29

Doh!  It's so close, I have always assumed, but the border there wiggles about a bit...

Just to give you the flavour of vieux Mans (which really is in the Sarthe..)

http://www.grenault.net/photos/vmans.htm

[quote user="Jeanneclaire"]Sorry, but from the web-site Puy du Fou looks a bit plastic. Cordes sur Ciel is very touristy but worth seeing. The Tarn gorges and the Millau Viaduct.[/quote]

Its a great day out, its like a wildlife park and theatre all rolled into one.  'Theme parks' aren't my bag either, but this is somewhere I will be visiting again this year.

Its your loss.

Uzes Saturday market.  OK, it's more than a bit 'touristy', but we were all like that once, eh?

Good quality (if a bit pricey) produce, excellent meat & fish, good 'buzz'.  Nothing better than an hour or so of that, then a drink to sharpen the appetite for a nice spot of lunch.

Must see / do.

Actually don't - wouldn't do to have too many tourists down here.  Stay up there in the North.  

Le Puy en Velay

Rocamadour and the Gouffre de Padirac

Oradour sur Glane

Bonaguil

When I saw this thread my first (irreverent) thought was of Dr Johnson on his Scottish tour. When he was asked whether there were not many noble sights in Scotland replied that "the most noble prospect afforded the Scot is the High Road to England."     So I will add the Eurotunnel Terminal at Coquelles.

[quote user="FurryKnickers"]

The Dog Museum in Saint Cloud, ile de France. It is so beautiful, and just  fills you with wonderment! They will even paint your dog while you wait. I had John painted there! 

[kiss]

[/quote]Did the paint ever come out of his coat?

Being a foody, its got to be,the cheese counter anywhere in France, Saucions hanging up, french letuces,I could go on, but the thing I really look forward to ,is turning into my lane and catching the first glimpse of my old stone house, when I have not seen if for a few months, still brings a lump to my throat, even after fifteen years,yes I know I am daft !!!!!

Dear Lola, I never meant they painted John, I meant they painted him onto canvas! I can assure you, if they had put any paint on me beloved pug, there would have been wigs in the green for sure! Here is the painting of John for anyone that is interested.  It is entitled 'Leaning Pug Of Upper Beagle'.

[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/Furryknickers/pug.jpg[/IMG]

[kiss]

[quote user="FurryKnickers"]Dear Lola, I never meant they painted John, I meant they painted him onto canvas! I can assure you, if they had put any paint on me beloved pug, there would have been wigs in the green for sure! Here is the painting of John for anyone that is interested.  It is entitled 'Leaning Pug Of Upper Beagle'.[/quote]

And a fine painting it is too!

As a matter of curiosity, how long did John have to stand on his back legs for whilst they were painting him onto canvas?

Back to must-see places: we spent the day at Océanopolis in Brest some years ago and it was magic.