Why I Love France, miserable posters keep out

Georgina

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really surprised by the spiteful remarks thrown in Logans direction.  I think he made a valid point, in fact the same as mine (only I got there first) happiness is a state of mind.  All the chuckling and drinking with neighbours, all the looking down valleys over trees, beautiful sunsets and empty roads...............great, I can do all of this in UK.  Today I feel particularly sad.  I think I will light my log fire, pour a glass of ricard (which has been in my cupboard since my last visit) and pretend I am in France.  That should do the trick.[:D]

I think most of you will agree that education, science and human development have brought us to this our modern state of being. It’s taken a long time but we are an advanced civilization compared to our early ancestors. That’s self evident almost an absolute truth but not quite. Yet there are some aspects of our behaviour which belong to that time. One of them is denial. Denial keeps us within a comfort zone. We can create a bubble around ourselves which becomes a defence against the cruelty, disappointment and sheer randomness of daily life. I believe that in facing up to the realities and disappointments we all have to face is a crucial aspect of our self development. Many people try new lives in countries other than their origins. It’s been going on a very long time. We subconsciously create certain pressures and expectations for ourselves. Imagine how our lives will be different. Most of us take our personal problems with us. Then after a while we realise things are pretty much the same as before. Yes the views may be better there is less traffic and stress and your neighbours friendlier. The climate is an improvement and you do different things. The problem is however is you are fundamentally the same. The same person in a different place, with different challenges to face. The risk here is disillusion. We develop in childhood and quickly become who we are for most of our lives. Moving to another country will not change that very much. Someone once described happiness as “having something to do, someone to love and something to look forward too”. In other word happiness is fundamental to our being not produced from moving somewhere else. As I have written many times before France is a good country among many.

I think life in France is fine, but I have no rose tinted spectacles.. ( being French)

I often travel to the UK and I know I d be really happy there too..

We all know that both countries have some good and bad aspects.

I can be equally happy and sad days in both countires, no one on this thread is naive, but our souls are attracted by a country where we feel " we belong " ..

The very first time I went to the UK I thought it was familiar   ( How weird is that??)

Maybe in the future Ill go and live there, when my son needs me a bit less here.

Can you understand that ?

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Leonard Cohen should get the Nobel for literature for his poetry much of which has been set to music - a thoroughly underserved reputation for writing music to top yourself by, his more recent stuff (last 15 years) is just superior.  And as for Neil Young, still up there with the greats.[/quote]

Hi Tony ,

at the same moment you typed Leonard Cohen in the other post , I typed his name on this thread!

What a coincidence!

My god Logan where're you coming from. Not all of us move to france because we were leading miserable lives elsewhere. We sometimes come to france for the challenge of changing an old shed into a lovely home. Or to have a more relaxed life. Each of us has our own reasons. Yes there are some who are running away from something but as they don't concern me then i don't worry about them. I live my life very nicely thank you very much. We're working hard on the house and yes we do have our bad days, but hey that's life. Nothing or no-one is perfect or has a perfect life. But i am enjoying mine and hope to stay here a lot longer. If it doesn't, for whatever reason, work out then we will move on. No-one knows what tomorrow might bring, and all the while its working for us then c'est la vie.

PS I think its the style of your font that makes it seem that you are droning on, maybe if you changed it then you may come across as not so sad.Because that's how you sound........sad.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Maybe in the future Ill go and live there, when my son needs me a bit less here.

Can you understand that ?

[/quote]

Changing countries just to get away from your offspring is a bit extreme, Frenchie, but it's your life.

Interesting that so many people seem to feel a need to publicise and perhaps justify (?) their feelings/reasons for loving/hating France or England. I suppose that it's because in this PC world we no longer tell people things, we share with them.

Our reasons for being here, there or anywhere only matter to 2 people or should I say there are only 2 people whose opinions matter.We like our bit of France, we prefer it to the bit of N Essex where we used to live but if others don't agree it matters not a jot.

John and

GG - think you could be right about the font of Logan's posts, kind of matches the pic under the name, but its each to their own I suppose, and its his/her right to choose that font and pic.

Bugbear - "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. "

Seems very apt coming from yourself.      When the emphasis was on the word "Encouragement" in the previously posted thread, some spoke of suicides!   We spoke of banging our heads against a wall !   I do think an open forum is for each to give their thoughts or opinion, and I do believe that there is no right or wrong opinion, simply an opinion.  I also think that posts should try and aid the person to build a picture, be it a negative or positive, but I still think it would help if posters kept the Subject Title in mind when they post.      The title was clear enough........."miserable posters keep out".

[quote user="47AJM"]

Bugbear - "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. "

Seems very apt coming from yourself.      When the emphasis was on the word "Encouragement" in the previously posted thread, some spoke of suicides!   We spoke of banging our heads against a wall !   I do think an open forum is for each to give their thoughts or opinion, and I do believe that there is no right or wrong opinion, simply an opinion.  I also think that posts should try and aid the person to build a picture, be it a negative or positive, but I still think it would help if posters kept the Subject Title in mind when they post.      The title was clear enough........."miserable posters keep out".

[/quote]

Sorry you've lost me, who was on about suicide ?