Why I Love France, miserable posters keep out

Georgina

I was feeling blue this morning and faced with the prospect of taking my children around the neighbours for their annual croissant orders for the school, I was feeling apprehensive.  However, I needn't have worried.  There were big smiles all round with ALL the neighbours, words of encouragement and genuine happy participants.  It was such a pleasure, it was indeed.  It cheered me no end. A smile and a chat are what makes the day. If I was in England, what would I be doing, trailing around Tescos. What a difference!

Georgina [:)] 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Georgina,

we've just finished Sunday lunch with our neighbours and haven't had such a good laugh for ages. I'm just wondering if Mr Sarcozys ears are burning....[:D].

Time to fall asleep in front of the fire now...............Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Georgina, I am glad that you have had a lovely day and that your neighbours have cheered you up.  However, you know as well as I do that you could have done this in the UK too.  Perhaps it isnt FRANCE that you love as much as the actual frame of mind you are now in from living there.

I live in UK and I dread the postman coming.  My post box always gets full of things to do and, I could spend all my weekend chasing this up.  However, things often get left undone for me because I believe in making time for myself just as you have done today.

On Friday evening I went to the AGM of our little commune's Fete committee at the home of the President.

When we'd finished, he asked if anybody would like an apero and a small buffet - after 4 courses, copious quatities of aperos and wine and about 2.5 hours later we all went home.

It was great, lots of laughs, caught up on things communal, one of the best French lessons I've ever had and realised how much we've become part of the commune!  Beats East London any time.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

On Friday evening I went to the AGM of our little commune's Fete committee at the home of the President.

When we'd finished, he asked if anybody would like an apero and a small buffet - after 4 courses, copious quatities of aperos and wine and about 2.5 hours later we all went home.

It was great, lots of laughs, caught up on things communal, one of the best French lessons I've ever had and realised how much we've become part of the commune!  Beats East London any time.

[/quote]

Did Nicolas get drunk again!

Well you go for it Frenchie. I love living in Wales and, I think my fellow countrymen have the best sense of humour in the world.  I love to walk through our open air market on a saturday morning eavesdropping on the weird and wonderful conversations.  If only I had the gift of writing...... what brilliant comedy material.

This goes back to Georginas original post, in that you could be happy anywhere and, it depends on your state of mind.

Oh yes katie, you re right..

If I could ... TOMORROW Ill be there... Where I ve always wanted to be.. But I got a 13 year old son and  he wouldn't follow me ..

This is really something Im thinking about a lot at the moment..

I think Ill have to wait a few more years, til he s more independant..

My partner is British, he will have to stay in the UK for the next few years, so I guess the only solution for us is to commute.. But it s really heartbreaking for me .

Its threads like this that set you thinking about your circumstance,I adore France and have spent so many happy times there, I do not think I could ever turn my back on it,but I equally love England, I love the history,my neighbours are fantastic so are my work colleagues,I hate the traffic and think of France and its open roads everyday when I drive home from work.I love the fact in my french village,nobody appears to be materialistic and they really care and fight for the good of the commune.I would like to live in France one day, but I am not a chancer so will have to be patient until my pension is right for taking.At the end of the day you can have a great life anywhere if you work at it, we are sitting by a lovely log fire with the smell of a nice roast in the oven,if I were in France it would be just the same, only one thing, got that Monday morning feeling looming.

It is more than you dare, full interview when you return to work, with all that Cr-p about can they help you with your health problems, I have not to experience one yet,but I understand they are trying to manage the skivers.My friend returned after having a hystorectomy and had the full interview, anyway for a laugh she went into full detail about her painful periods (male manager) he sat there speechless, we always laugh about it,now but they have never interviewed her since.Anyway only three weeks and term is finnished and I am not back for a month, so must not complain.

Ahh, I assume you are teaching.  Yes they always come down hard in that profession.  And so they should, you have enough days off as it is AND it is taxpayers money[6]

Anyway, enjoy your roast girl[:D]

What do I love about France?  Finding little tucked away places where you can enjoy a delicious 3 course meal for 1 euro, the smells of wood burning and garlic, and the fields of sunflowers.

No Katie I work in a bank, but on a university campus and I do term time only,so that enables me to have 18 weeks holiday a year. But sickness is managed strictly, and I must say It needs to be like that, it is amazing how many people have time off at the drop of a hat, with little commitment.Anyway I aggree with you about the lovely lunches in France, we always look for EDF vans in the car park and we usually strike oil, often not knowing what will turn up on the table,had pigs cheek one day and it was in a really nice sauce,wonder how that would go down in a Little Chef.Yes that is one of the great things about France.

What is your definition of a miserable poster? I ask because this thread seems to resemble a lexicon equivalent of comfort food. Perhaps it’s the onset of winter and ‘sad syndrome’ but I do detect a need here for mutual support, solidarity and self congratulation.  I have always thought that exuberate protestations of happiness actually indicate mild desperation. I do not mean to be unkind but France is not Disneyland. It’s a country with folks like any other. It’s full of good and bad people, happy and sad, rich, poor and considerate. The country gives a little and takes shed loads like any other. It offers some opportunity and alienates many others. It can be equally frustrating and as difficult to live in France as Britain or any where else. It depends largely on your own state of mind how you feel about a place. R.L. Stevenson once wrote that “it is better to travel hopefully than actually arrive.” I have found that a truism in my own life. The expectation of happiness and joy is always better than the painful reality. We humans need hope to survive. Hope that our lives are good and with the expectation of it getting better. Nothing wrong with that. However hope tinged with a large dose of realism is often a stronger medicine. France is a great place to live but so are many other places. Some are very much better. Rose coloured glasses often leads eventually to disappointment and regret.

Logan, that qualifies as fairly miserable, so do what the OP said and keep out.[Www]

Remember that self analysis usually results in nothing more than a handful of navel fluff.

edit: I just re-read your post and changed my mind, it's totally miserable.