Why I Love France, miserable posters keep out

Georgina

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Logan, that qualifies as fairly miserable...[/quote]

I thought it was a "Oh My God It's Sunday Somebody Shoot Me" post. Logan deserves our compassion. [:)]

[quote]

Remember that self analysis usually results in nothing more than a handful of navel fluff.[/quote]

Which can be added to home-made stock to give a completely new flavour dimension. <culinary tip of the day> [:D]

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Logan, that qualifies as fairly miserable, so do what the OP said and keep out.[Www]

Remember that self analysis usually results in nothing more than a handful of navel fluff.

edit: I just re-read your post and changed my mind, it's totally miserable.

[/quote]

I don't find Logan's post miserable at all . I think it makes interesting reading.

Well, I'm NOT going to disagree with anybody.  Our friends came to stay for the weekend.  We had some good meals, lots of catching up.  Best of all, I managed to stick to my self-imposed alcohol consumption quota.

After the friends went, our French neighbour came with a big bag of scrumptious looking carrots for us.  He stayed for a drink or two; we laughed our heads off.  He offered to do some tiling in our kitchen for us.  OH gave him a bottle of best Aussie Shiraz (!) plus the loan of his jacket and torch for monsieur to walk home.

After that, I rang up some other friends who are going "home" to the UK.  They have offered to bring back a sat nav system for us.  I said, "Could you bring me some Meyer Circulon saucepans instead?"  They said, "Yes, of course, no probs"

Don't care what miserable posters say.  I'm very happy here in France and long may it remain so.  Surrounded by friends and plenty of goodwill, I think that if this is as good as it gets, I shall have no complaints whatsoever.

[quote user="raindog"][quote user="sweet 17"]

Best of all, I managed to stick to my self-imposed alcohol consumption quota.

[/quote]
What was that sweet? Because I didn't manage to stick to a quota at all this week-end.
[/quote]

In Glasgow that is called " nae merr drink"

I think for those of us who are fortunate enough to have homes in the  UK and France  the answer to the question  " Why I love France "  is the place gives us the opportunity to escaspe from the mad house  that is life in the UK at the monent for  enough weeks / months in the year to  regain enough sanity to carry on ..... 

Not in French timezone, however, Frederick is spot on with his post :-) though there is ample who would refute this; many others who have found their 'navarna' here.

Leo, you are 'having a laugh' , aren't you? Scots no more than other nations are 'nae merr drink', you are bringing Scotland down.

I speak as a bi-monthly vistiting native and yes there is a sector who would do a you say, this and your comments are the unfortunate voice of the red tops, yes there is drunks  'nae merr drink' as you called it, however, the country I know where your  so called culture exists is also one off the most friendly honest and trustworthy people we have working for my com together with our people from Ireland and our collegues in England. You of course are widely generalizing, non!

Met a few UK's  in our area who are so happy to be in France, have to say if I had more time available I would be here more as my lovely OH adores life here no matter the season, I return to where she is, my work is global and I find myself more and more drawn to France, its silly as time off can be for us together; anywhere worldwide. Sverving the 'over the yard arm'  <read as all UK drunk brigade>, perhaps Leo is aquainted with them, I do adore coming to France.

Peut-être j'aime la France si muchmore que je me suis rendu compte.

[quote user="Apero"]

Leo, you are 'having a laugh' , aren't you? Scots no more than other nations are 'nae merr drink', you are bringing Scotland down.

[/quote]

If you got it Frenchie then please explain to the rest of us.... the above is weird in itself, no one can be 'Nae merr drink', it means  No More Drink, and was not a slight on the Scots at all merely stating that imposing a quota on drinking is to tell yourself NO MORE DRINK, it was a JOKE, well that's my take on it anyway!

[quote user="Logan"]

What is your definition of a miserable poster? I ask because this thread seems to resemble a lexicon equivalent of comfort food. Perhaps it’s the onset of winter and ‘sad syndrome’ but I do detect a need here for mutual support, solidarity and self congratulation.  I have always thought that exuberate protestations of happiness actually indicate mild desperation. I do not mean to be unkind but France is not Disneyland. It’s a country with folks like any other. It’s full of good and bad people, happy and sad, rich, poor and considerate. The country gives a little and takes shed loads like any other. It offers some opportunity and alienates many others. It can be equally frustrating and as difficult to live in France as Britain or any where else. It depends largely on your own state of mind how you feel about a place. R.L. Stevenson once wrote that “it is better to travel hopefully than actually arrive.” I have found that a truism in my own life. The expectation of happiness and joy is always better than the painful reality. We humans need hope to survive. Hope that our lives are good and with the expectation of it getting better. Nothing wrong with that. However hope tinged with a large dose of realism is often a stronger medicine. France is a great place to live but so are many other places. Some are very much better. Rose coloured glasses often leads eventually to disappointment and regret.

[/quote]

For gawd's sake Logan "lighten up", life's too short for an analysis like this - you will end up looking up your own backside. What does it achieve except misery. Sometimes it's nice to take things at face value otherwise we would go mad, like you really. [:)] I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Georgina

Georgina writes of another one of life’s little mysteries. That is the odd idea that thinking in any degree of depth about the human state of being is regarded as being miserable or depressing. Evolution gifted us with an advanced thinking mechanism. Not using it or pushing your thought processes in new unvisited directions seems to me a waste of that resource. Psychology has been my subject. I read it in part at uni. and later through my lifetime. It has not in any way made me miserable. Ou contraire. Knowledge and understanding is sustaining. It’s a life force capable of raising your prospective to greater levels. I have been fortunate to have had the time and inclination to question the things most of us take for granted or as a matter of course. Knowing yourself and who you are it seems to me are the two corner stones of prolonged happiness. I agree with Georgina that life is too short. Not enough time to allow our minds to travel the distance they deserve. "lighten up" is the modern cliché which actually asks us to stop doing that very thing.  

Okay you are making me miserable now. I will disagree with you that knowledge brings happiness, most deep thinking types suffer terribly - but I can not criticise you for that. However there are days when one has to just be jolly as it is infectious! But alas, so is misery.

Georgina

Take no notice Georgina, people can be happy without all this analysis, or they can spend their lives constantly doing the

"How was it for you Wilma ?" thing.

American stupidity at its worst.

I know which camp I prefer to be in..................

Why am I mostly happy, who cares........................[:)][:)]

Georgina - No I hav'nt gone "home", my "home" is here in France.  I was referring to the post below which was posted sometime ago by someone else.

"Please can a few of you give me and moh some encouragement to make the move to France we have planned for over a year. All I keep reading are posts from people who are desperate to get out. To us it seems like there are no Brits who want to be there any more and we are getting quite despondent." 

[quote user="47AJM"]

Georgina - No I hav'nt gone "home", my "home" is here in France.  I was referring to the post below which was posted sometime ago by someone else.

"Please can a few of you give me and moh some encouragement to make the move to France we have planned for over a year. All I keep reading are posts from people who are desperate to get out. To us it seems like there are no Brits who want to be there any more and we are getting quite despondent." 

[/quote]

Righteo did not read that thread or post on it but I can see that it was quite discouraging.  Shame on you miserable lot, must have been a bad month for some!!!! Did they change their mind then? So glad you are still here 47AJM [:)]  This has never been a fluffy type forum though, they should try Brittany Friends or something.

Georgina