Why I Love France, miserable posters keep out

Georgina

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]OK, perhaps we should have a rule that says contributors can say only nice, cheery things from now on in case a balanced, well-reasoned, intelligent post might cause someone to think twice about moving to a foreign country.[/quote]

.................and the title of this thread is ?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally was glad to read all the negative sides of France so that when I did move over, it was not a disappointment but rather a surprise. Someone could not base their decision to come here purely on what they read on the internet, now that would be stupid.  But that all depends on your outlook and determination. But for this original post, I was happy to share my happiness. Some are not.

Georgina

Apology if my posts make you unhappy Georgina. Not my intention. Thinking things through is sometimes painful. However there is a reward from the process. Bugbear is almost aggressively defensive. I wonder why? I use these forums in an attempt to understand other people. When we meet each other physically we tend to be either defensive or indulge in over sell or small talk. Selling ourselves seems now to be a cultural necessity. In internet forums we can be ourselves without too much approbation.  I have been interested for some time now in the motives of folks moving to France and their personal aftermath and concequences. Their responses to change and their reactions to disappointment. I see that sometimes in these forums but more often it’s enthusiasm for an ideal which seems only to exist in the imagination. That makes disappointment all the more painful. So the counterbalance to that is either defense or pretence.

[quote user="Logan"]

Apology if my posts make you unhappy Georgina. Not my intention. Thinking things through is sometimes painful. However there is a reward from the process. Bugbear is almost aggressively defensive. I wonder why? I use these forums in an attempt to understand other people. When we meet each other physically we tend to be either defensive or indulge in over sell or small talk. Selling ourselves seems now to be a cultural necessity. In internet forums we can be ourselves without too much approbation.  I have been interested for some time now in the motives of folks moving to France and their personal aftermath and concequences. Their responses to change and their reactions to disappointment. I see that sometimes in these forums but more often it’s enthusiasm for an ideal which seems only to exist in the imagination. That makes disappointment all the more painful. So the counterbalance to that is either defense or pretence.

[/quote]

So now I feel like a miserable bug under a microscope!!![:)]

Georgina

I'm all for sharing the good points, but whenever someone like Logan shares their thoughts, it seems to hit a nerve with those with an inferiority complex. You don't have to have a degree to post on a forum like this but it shouldn't bar you from contributing either. And when did intelligence get to mean misery?

[quote user="Logan"]

........................................... Bugbear is almost aggressively defensive. I wonder why?

[/quote]

Sorry Logan, that was neither my intention nor my action.

I just spent most of my working life with all that people stuff and now I no longer have to. I'm just happy to float along these days and take people as they are, rather than analysing their every move and word.

Each to his own.............................................[:)]

Anyway I'm done with this thread as it seems to have lost its way a bit.

Have a nice day............................[:)]

[quote user="Logan"]

I use these forums in an attempt to understand other people. [/quote]

So do I. Sometimes. And it can be very interesting. But I also understand that a lighthearted thread which is quite clear in it's intentions in the title might not be the best place to self-indulge in research.

If you want to discuss the motivations of people who leave a country to sample life elsewhere,  start it as a topic of your own. It won't be the first time it has been discussed and there are a lot of new members so you might get a broad indication of what moves people. [;-)]

[quote user="Logan"]

When we meet each other physically we tend to be either defensive or indulge in over sell or small talk. [/quote]

[blink] You might... many will not. I think many of your assumptions may be too closely based on your own experience. If you find a lot of people you meet are defensive or over-sell or "indulge in small talk" (and "new acquaintance  small talk" is a sign of what, exactly? [:P]) then perhaps they are reacting to some vibe you give out.

As I said, there's plenty to go at... but why not start a new discussion? [:)]

It s a shame that threads too often end up in something completely different from the original post..................

I was interested in this one originally but now, I m not reading posts explaining why you loved France but something completely different and IMHO it s a shame ..

[quote user="Panda "]

I just can't read any of Logan's post without hearing it as a slooooow dull voice, that's the misery side, nothing to do with intelligence... is it just me??

[/quote]

That's probably because I am quite old and my subject these days has become unfashionable. If you were to meet me another opinion may or may not be arrived at. I accept I am a product of another age but my experience and ideas are universal and I believe still relevant. As an individual I matter nothing here or anywhere else. If I can provoke a thought process even on a minute scale which may improve anothers life I am content. A lofty aspiration I know but we all have ambitions.[:D]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

It s a shame that threads too often end up in something completely different from the original post..................

I was interested in this one originally but now, I m not reading posts explaining why you loved France but something completely different and IMHO it s a shame ..

[/quote]

I find that happens most times on this forum and its mostly the same people who change the subject with their witty(less) one-liners [:@]

[quote user="Panda "]Or fall asleep mid-reading-of-post zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, the post whilst overtly long-wordy it's a duuull read.[/quote]

Or too intelligent for the wannabe second home caretakers, prospective gite proprietors and full time pastis drinkers to comprehend?

Maybe former bingo players in the UK???

[quote user="47AJM"][quote user="Frenchie"]

I find that happens most times on this forum and its mostly the same people who change the subject with their witty(less) one-liner's.[:@]

[/quote][/quote]

One - liners usually , paint big pictures!

[quote user="LEO"][quote user="47AJM"][quote user="Frenchie"]

I find that happens most times on this forum and its mostly the same people who change the subject with their witty(less) one-liner's.[:@]

[/quote][/quote]

One - liners usually , paint big pictures!

[/quote]

Agree they can do, but sadly on here many times they don't! [:@]

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="Logan"]

I use these forums in an attempt to understand other people. [/quote]

So do I. Sometimes. And it can be very interesting. But I also understand that a lighthearted thread which is quite clear in it's intentions in the title might not be the best place to self-indulge in research.

If you want to discuss the motivations of people who leave a country to sample life elsewhere,  start it as a topic of your own. It won't be the first time it has been discussed and there are a lot of new members so you might get a broad indication of what moves people. [;-)]

[quote user="Logan"]

When we meet each other physically we tend to be either defensive or indulge in over sell or small talk. [/quote]

[blink] You might... many will not. I think many of your assumptions may be too closely based on your own experience. If you find a lot of people you meet are defensive or over-sell or "indulge in small talk" (and "new acquaintance  small talk" is a sign of what, exactly? [:P]) then perhaps they are reacting to some vibe you give out.

As I said, there's plenty to go at... but why not start a new discussion? [:)]

[/quote]

Catalpa

I so agree with everything you have said.  I wish you'd post more often.  You generally make me laugh or you make me think about something in a different way.  Now THAT'S what I call making a positive contribution.

What's that 23rd psalm:  for everything, there is a season?  So, the OP thinks this is the season for being happy and maybe counting one's blessing (not a popular past time in our wannabe times, I know) and whyever not?

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Panda "]Or fall asleep mid-reading-of-post zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, the post whilst overtly long-wordy it's a duuull read.[/quote]

Or too intelligent for the wannabe second home caretakers, prospective gite proprietors and full time pastis drinkers to comprehend?

Maybe former bingo players in the UK???
[/quote]

Don't put yourself down so Scooby, I'm sure you're none of the above and I'm equally sure you know that neither am I, please also do as instructed by Geogina and lighten up!!