wheres the totty !

euro

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Pads"]why do they have to be anything , why cant they just be ladies ??[:)][/quote]

vis-à-vis Little Britain, If I were a girlie I think I would rather be called Totty than a 'Lady'

[8-|] Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Is it an age thing???  I don't think i've ever been referred to as a lady! (if i did, i'd look round for who they were referring to.......)

I'm quite happy to be totty for a few more years...[:)].. and always felt the term was a compliment. Maybe could be seen as a bit sexist....but as I refer to good looking men folk as eye candy, all's fair!  But yep, to the lovely ladies/women on here it may seem insulting?  I think the worse insult to a lady/woman is to be called 'her indoors'....[+o(] Any man referring to his 'lady' like that deserves a slap. 

Meg - Ithink it's an age thing too. My sister was around when womens lib. was at its height and gets very hostile and fierce about names like totty. Whereas I just missed it and am certainly not in that category now. So perhaps your age group are more laid back about it, having had all the battles fought and won by the previous generation.

'her indoors' - I really don't like that. I dislike even more 'the

wife' as though she was a cupboard or a chair. What's wrong with 'my wife' ?

I don't care for 'eye candy' either; it sounds American to me.

Isn't English glorious; if I could distinguish all these nuances in French I'd really think I was getting somewhere.

Hoddy

[quote user="Meg "]I think the worse insult to a lady/woman is to be called 'her indoors'....[+o(] Any man referring to his 'lady' like that deserves a slap. 
[/quote]Now you see this is exactly where we sexes diverge [8-)]

To me saying  'er indoors is a frivolous but completely harmless term which is neither derogatory nor infers disrespect and is no more than a variation on saying "The wife/My wife" or "The OH" or "The Missus" or "Mrs Ern" or "SWMBO" etc. etc.

Actually Meg truth is I do quite like a good slap, but we'd best not go there I think [:$] [:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"]

To me saying  'er indoors is a frivolous but completely harmless term which is neither derogatory nor infers disrespect and is no more than a variation on saying "The wife/My wife" or "The OH" or "The Missus" or "Mrs Ern" or "SWMBO" etc. etc.

[/quote]

Again, maybe a generation thing?? Just makes me think of a wench tied to the kitchen sink serving the men folk. Nowt wrong with that i guess, just not my style!! Next time you could always vary it by saying the bit of totty indoors......[:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Actually Meg truth is I do quite like a good slap, but we'd best not go there I think [:$] [:D]

[/quote]

All you men folk need a good slap occasionally. Keeps you in your place. [Www]

I rather liked John Mortimer's Rumpole character's term and the correct grammar: "She whom must be obeyed!"

The word "Lady" used when the word "Woman" is correct, is surely a sort of class affection thing?

Rather the same as saying "Toilet" instead of "Lavatory"?

In my simple mind, the word "Totty" implies attractive women and is thus not derogatory.

Does anyone know its root?

To reverse the debate I dont like it when a woman refers to her partner as "my other half" not because it is derogatory but to me (and I do come from mars) it suggests that she considers herself to only be half a person without her partner, I never hear it used by a spirited/independant woman.

Mind you if a man says its OK except most of them should be saying my other 95%[:)]

At the 50th wedding anniversary of the parents of my spirited/independant close female friend, her father said in his speech that he more than anyone was correct to call his wife "my better half"[kiss].

Is there an equivalent French phrase to "mutton dressed as lamb"? - I bet these ladies are flattered to be referred to as "totty"

I can see where Frenchie is being confused, as she may be wondering how drawers comes into it.  For my part, the saying includes the word knickers, not drawers.  This may have to go to a vote.

Hands up for knickers[B]

But are there any French equivalents of "mutton dressed as lamb" meaning someone past their "à consommer jusqu'au" date dressing as a teenager?

Dont the other sayings with draws, knickers  etc denote someone dressing and/or acting beyond their means/station?

My mate says "caviar but no curtains"

Actually I think it was "kippers and posh curtains"

There is one French idiomatic phrase that springs to mind, meaning to have ideas above one's station.

Though I am not quite sure I am allowed to say it here, so I hope the mods will do their job and edit it if necessary.

"pêter plus haut que son cul"

Edit: I see the profanity filter has already done it, so that means the English term for a blind alley, a cul-de-sac, is too rude for this topic...