Camilla and Carla : Who gives a st*ff?

At the risk of getting into trouble, please tell me I am not the only person around here who could not care less what these women are like/wearing/doing.  Why is it that people appear (although this may be a misconception on my part) to know and care more about the wives of public figures, than the people themselves and the influence they have on our lives?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you're not alone.  I never bought into the Diana-mania, and although I accept that Carla is newsworthy to a certain extent as the very new wife of Sarko, I find my mind glazing over every time the media starts to drone on about how wonderful she is.

As for Camilla, Charles really should have been allowed to marry her the first time around, but other than that, who cares?

(Puts on tin-hat and ducks under the parapet).

It is because of the modern phenomenon of  ‘celebrity culture’. People have become possessed by a desire to live celebrity lifestyles by proxy. Why? Largely I would suggest because their own lives are very dreary, hum-drum and just plain dull. Celebrity culture or the envy of the so called rich and famous is a cheap and simple method of escapism. The media know this and exploit the process to sell magazines, books, records, films, newspapers et al. In fact anything in which ‘joe public’ can dream away 5 minutes of their sorry lives.

It’s exploitation of course. The celeb. plays to the system and the media systems plays to the celeb. They feed from each other in a gastly phony pantomime.

Like all exploitation it requires a feeble minded, poorly educated audience and there are millions all over the world waiting and willing.

Personally I ignore celebrities whenever I can. Not because I’m less feeble minded but because they have nothing to say or nothing to do which remotely interests me.

It interested me because, at the weekend, I posted a link to a fascinating, and - to my mind - very perceptive, piece about Messrs Sarkozy and Brown.  This elicited, from memory, three responses, whilst the thread about people's partners and what they're wearing is now at about four pages.  And yet - although I haven't been reading it - a cursory glance suggests that some pretty thoughtful forum members have contributed and are interested in this stuff. It doesn't just appear to appeal simply to the lowest common denominator, does it?  But why?

I admit to being quite excited by this visit, mainly , I think, because I'm living in France yet I feel very english. So it was a situation where my two national identities appeared and combined. If it had been eg Angela Merkel, or the dutch PM, whoever he/she is, I wouldn't have taken any interest. The clothes were a sideline, but did add to the effect.

Ok, I agree with Logan "nearly" 100%. But people seem to need this idolatry, be it royalty or popstars.

But surely you must admit Cooperlola that it is great that in this day and age we can still have all the  pomp and circumstance of a statevisit and that it is truly heartwarming,  the coaches with the horses and the guards and the bands and it is done so well as only the British can do it and we are envied all over the world for this.

Talking about this craze for idolising "celebrities" especially in the UK, I have to say that I don't have a clue who most of them are and we do watch UK television here. My daughter brought some OK type magazines back from the UK a few weeks ago and I was looking at them thinking who the hell are these people? I know the real stars like Pitt/Jolie,Cruise etc feature a lot but there were all these young women with orange coloured flesh and short dresses with their bristol cities hanging out and I wonder what they have done to be so revered by the press. I don't care for royalty apart from the Queen, the others can fade away for all I care and I thoroughly recommend Sue Townsend's book "Queen Camilla" if you havn't read it.

I agree with you Cooperlola, We enter thsi world with nothing and we leave with nothing and the only ones I worship are my children and my granchildren and stuff the rest.  I find it obcene to put anyone on a pedastal as we are all important in our own way and being born privalaged is no reason to think that anyone is better than the rest. I admire my youngest son who has fought in the armed forces in Iraq and Afghanistan  and so I feel he has earned my respect..

Isn't it just a bit of harmless fun to speculate about these people - in my own life at moment one friends mother has had a heart attack, another lady I know has discovered she has cancer, a relative has been told there is nothing more they can do for his heart and its just time: days or weeks. Even domestically, we have heard our plumber is emigrating,[:(] we are trying to sort out quotes for an extension and get planing permission. Oh and we are also moving funds about so we have no more than the guaranteed amount with any financial institution.

All in all, any sort of light heartedness is more than welcome [:)]

PS Coops - you watch grown men rush round a track in fast cars don't you? Each to their own......[:)][:)]

I am in the "not interested" camp.

I deliberately dont read anything about ,O J Simpson ,Charles and Diana, Diana's death, The Royal Family, Posh and Becks etc etc.

Just had to Google the word Carla , to find out who was being discussed!

I am more interested in reading about "ordinary" folk.

The Moggie was bought new by the chap in the driving seat (I'm the passenger, btw).  Certainly, he has treated it as well as many men might their wives in the 39 years he's owned it!

Russethouse, the people who drive those cars at least have a talent, and work very hard at it.  Being born beautiful, or the ability to buy (with unlimited budgets - many of which taxpayers contribute to) clothes which look good (or not) on you - does not seem to me to be something worthy of much  respect.  In fact, I'd feel much happier if they wore the same clothes again a few times, as people in the real world have to.

But, to be fair, I was not condemning anybody for being interested in this stuff, I'm just trying to understand it.  Because I do not subscribe to Logan's "lowest common denominator" theory.  As I said, some very inteligent and thoughtful people are genuinely fascinated by these things.  What you say, R/H, does certainly make some sense to me.

For better or worse we have a Royal Family, and even if we didn't people would comment on Sarah Brown as they did Cherie Blair before her. Whether we like it or not in some way these people represent 'us' and I would like them to do a good job.

As for 'celebrity's': some I have a little admiration for, the much maligned Jade Goody at least has taken her chances and done her best to improve her life, and if she's gone wrong she admits it (and probably makes a few bob along the way) Last time I saw her she was talking about helping women who had undergone breast reconstruction because of cancer.

Others hardly rate a blib on the radar.

On this occasion I suspect there are more serious 'issues' beneath the 'froth.' Sarkozy has not been the President many hoped for and Carla is thought to be part of the cause in some quarters, wearing such conservative attire may have been part of a desperate attempt to do the right thing and improve her (and therefore his) image - neither of them would have enjoyed another gaffe.

Well, there's where we differ.  They do not represent us, their partners do.  Their o/h's did not chose anything but the person they hang out with (and probably, in some cases, the celebrity, power and cash that comes with it.)

Who's Jade Goody?[6]

Edit : Yes, R/H, some important stuff is going on between these two guys, both of whom have enormous influence over us - and their relationship and what they hammer out between them could have a huge impact on many forum members, given who we are.  And yet, the major interest - here at least - on this meeting, appears to have focussed on what their other halves are wearing.  That's what puzzles me.

Cooperlola I am so pleased that you had the balls (ahem) to open this thread as I had been thinking exactly the same thing, you are not alone!

Why were posters whose thoughts, knowledge and opinions I normally appreciate obsessed by what Carla was wearing but not the political ramifications of the visit, which dont forget comes at a time of several important issues to those with links to both countries.

I have enjoyed the French media coverage of the visit as they are at least focussed to a certain degree on the relationship between the heads of state "building an alliance whilst respecting our differences" etc, they always show a selection of UK tabloid headlines to illustrate the British obsession with her clothing, shoes etc but without any real interest other than how bizarre it is.

The real "French"  interest seems to be reserved for what was on the menu at the state banquet.

[quote user="LEO"]

I am more interested in reading about "ordinary" folk.

[/quote]

Ordinary people spend their Saturday afternoons shopping in Carrefour.   That's not interesting!  [:)]

I don't mind celebrities, they're just there, part of the world around us.   Like football, really, I can ignore it most of the time, but now and again find myself quite interested in some aspects of it.  [;-)] 

Jade Goody is an ex Big Brother contestant who is the daughter of a single parent, one armed, drug addict and who seems to have missed any attempt to educate her.

As for politics isn't more of the same ? Sarkozy says what suits while he's here and ignores it when he gets home - I'm more interested in whether or not we will have Euro - Sterling Parity, the guy I saw at the bank yesterday seemed to think it was a possibility. Then would we have/need a referendum to abolish sterling ?

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Jade Goody is an ex Big Brother contestant who is the daughter of a single parent, one armed, drug addict and who seems to have missed any attempt to educate her.

[/quote]

The media woud differ with you there RH, they would not miss the opportunity to include the word "lesbian"[:D]

Not that that would have made any difference to her lack of education of course, just to the selling power of the headline.

Miaowwww!, here pussycat, pussycat, pussycat, would you like another saucer of milk!

teabreak here and I was surfing for a little diversion. . . . .
I guess whatever you're following is just a little distraction from the serious stuff of the day,
of which you may not be capable of a meaningful comment.
I especially liked the mail pic, surely worth 2G of any papers dosh.
Like people who watch junk TV, maybe it is probably more to do with turning brain off for a bit,
and maybe getting a little comfortable feeling, which has a scientific explanation, from a release of the endorphins to your comfort zone.

Surely whatever floats your boat is allowed in the rich tapestry of life  [8-|]