Hello I'm new here

Hello

I have been 'lurking' for a few nights now, and think I would like to join you all.

I am very interested in France as my husband and I have a small house in the Dordogne which we are slowly doing up, we are in our 50's and hope to spend more time in France over the next few years,

I have been learning French at night classes now for 3 years but I  would only class myself as a beginner! I hope to ask for help with lots of queries and share any experience I have with others if I can.

[quote user="pippin"]

he does not come to the French lessons because he suffers from tinnitus and has great difficulty in hearing.

[/quote]

I experience the same symptons (though not the cause).  In my case, it's 'selective hearing', a well known condition affecting many of us, usually brought on by an affliction commonly known as 'nagging'.

Welcome!

[quote user="pippin"]

Hello

I have been 'lurking' for a few nights now, and think I would like to join you all.

I hope to ask for help with lots of queries and share any experience I have with others if I can.

[/quote]

Ask away and we will be pleased to try and help - no guarantees though!

Sue

[quote user="pippin"]

Well I suppose there might be a little bit of nagging [Www]

But seriously he does have tinnitus caused from the many tools he uses (used) he is a builder, and has suffered for the last 10 years or so, since then he has used earmuffs for all loud tools.

I do try to teach him a few French words and phrases, some he picks up and remembers.

[/quote]

The next time you teach him tell him to take the earmuffs off!

[quote user="Frenchie"]Hi Sheila, where are you in  Dordogne?  x[/quote]

Hi

We have an old house near Sorges, bought it last year, hope to spend more time in France when we have made it a little more habitable. I have been reading the Living France mag for some years now, on and of at first, but last year when we finally decided to buy I have had it every month. we found it very informative and a great help.

Not sure if I should start a new thread or ask this question hear[8-)] Well, some time ago in one of the issues there was a 'dossier' where they go through different subjects and translate a document, the one I would like to find again is the one about 'The Mairie', does anyone remember it, I think it had the translated planning forms, and if so which back issue would I need to order, we moved house last year and a lot of my back issues where accidentally thrown away.

Any help in finding this info would be appreciated, We have to fill in the 'Declaration D'ouverture de Chantier' soon and thought this was one of the forms included in that 'dossier'

Many thanks

• 11 months later...
[quote user="krusty"]confused where does "Pippin" come into it ?[/quote]

So am I!  Also "tinitus".  No mention of tinitus and suddenly it's there along with ear-muffs.  I agree about selective deafness - I suffer from that - but is this an example of selective blindness?

[quote user="Mystery tramp"][quote user="krusty"]confused where does "Pippin" come into it ?[/quote]

So am I!  Also "tinitus".  No mention of tinitus and suddenly it's there along with ear-muffs.  I agree about selective deafness - I suffer from that - but is this an example of selective blindness?

[/quote]

It seems like Pippin changed her name to Willow, and then edited some posts after they had been replied to (and quoted) by other posters. That's my guess.

It does make for a confusing read.

For my tuppence worth, I think Willow was Pippin, and has since changed her handle, but of course  any "quotes" from Pippin will remain so, and secondly, since the original posting on 28/7/07, she has edited the posts to remove all references to her partner.

As I say only my guesswork.

Edit: Tressy, you beat me to it!

[quote user="Maricopa"]

For my tuppence worth, I think Willow was Pippin, and has since changed her handle, but of course  any "quotes" from Pippin will remain so, and secondly, since the original posting on 28/7/07, she has edited the posts to remove all references to her partner.

As I say only my guesswork.

Edit: Tressy, you beat me to it!

[/quote]

That makes sense; I hadn't appreciated the age of the thread.

Can you now explain the 'whole story concerning the politician, the lighthouse and the trained cormorant'.

[quote user="cassis"]I'm more puzzled as to how krusty stumbled across a year-old thread about b ugger all!  [:D][/quote]

I have a theory on that as well. 

If you edit a post, it doesn't alter the original date of course, but the software does bring it to the top of the pile, ie you can have a post dated 5 years ago, but if you edit it at 5.39pm, it will appear above a new post of 5.38pm, albeit with a 5 year old date.

My theory is that "Willow" edited her post yesterday or today, it went to the top of the pile, Krusty read it without checking the dates, was confused by the postings and responded.  QED (I hope!)[:D]

As I said earlier, this is only my guesswork![:D][geek]

[quote user="Maricopa"]

[quote user="cassis"]I'm more puzzled as to how krusty stumbled across a year-old thread about b ugger all!  [:D][/quote]

I have a theory on that as well. 

If you edit a post, it doesn't alter the original date of course, but the software does bring it to the top of the pile, ie you can have a post dated 5 years ago, but if you edit it at 5.39pm, it will appear above a new post of 5.38pm, albeit with a 5 year old date.

My theory is that "Willow" edited her post yesterday or today, it went to the top of the pile, Krusty read it without checking the dates, was confused by the postings and responded.  QED (I hope!)[:D]

As I said earlier, this is only my guesswork![:D][geek]

[/quote]

Nope, I've just edited an old post in "Gardening" but it didn't reappear atop the "Active" list or even up the list of the Gardening section.  Last post here:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1276298

Ah well, on to other things.

[:)]

[quote user="cassis"][
Nope, I've just edited an old post in "Gardening" but it didn't reappear atop the "Active" list or even up the list of the Gardening section.  [:)]
[/quote]

But it does on the forum home page in the gardening section in the Last Post column, despite there being newer posts.[:D]

See my example of a post I edited in the south east section on Ryanair Beziers-Stansted (Last Post window).

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Mystery Mystery ....

[:D]

[/quote]

I can solve your mystery [:D]

Sheila/ Pippin /Willow is a friend of mine, she was over last night and we got talking about France and things and she said she had not been on the forum since she first joined, so we started to try out a new name or to and settled on willow.

Simple as that[:)]

Wouldn't have thought it would merit all the interest, but there you go, the forum is a bit dead at the moment.

So glad we were able to cause a little mystery even if was only one day