Lockerbie bomber

My personal opinion is that it was compassion along with other things, the appeal, which was probably withdrawn because it would have kept him in jail, the knowledge of new evidence, and the ever increasing and to me, sickening, cosying up to Gadafi by both the UK and USA.

Yes I agree, it was MacAskills decision to make, and if he had said that he had made the decision 'on balance' I might have supported it a little more.

but that did not preclude the showing of compassion towards Megrahi.

Trying to be the better person ? Wrong circumstance IMHO.

Now we have to watch the odiouse sight of Megrahi being welcomed home like a pop star.......

I suspect there were other ways to show compassion without releasing him.

Biggest African oil reserve is in Libya...BP waiting to start drilling and milllions will be invested to get the oil out ... A dying man is released early so the UK is popular now ...BP will soon roll out the equipment and get started ....6 months time all will be forgotten . This release was set up months ago the flack from the US and others anticipated I should think ...I suspect today some big guy in the Oil industry is saying "Job done ..way ahead clear ...now we roll "

[quote user="buelligan"]Is it possible that some in power might not wish an appeal to be heard?  That they consider it "better all round" if they please the Libyans, appear to be just and compassionate, maintain the illusion that "we got the right man" and that the real culprits did not get away with it...?  I do not wish to appear cynical but I do not have much faith in the integrity of the "Justice System" (in any state, at any period of human history). [/quote]

I agree.  To RH - 8 years is probably nowhere near enough time for our legal system to hear an appeal - particularly one that wouldn't be wanted by a great number in high places.  Would leave a number of people with egg on their faces.  I join you buelligan - having seen the UK justice system up close I think I would get a fairer trial in Libya!

As a previous poster has already mentioned, the Libyans are to be denied the sight of HRH the Prince Andrew - aka Airmiles Andy - at the 40th anniversary celebrations of their revolution. How will they cope with this? There is already wailing and gnashing of teeth in Tripoli and Benghazi, and in Leptis Magna women are throwing themselves under the hooves of racing camels, crying "Allah" and "Andy" in their dying breaths. "We were ravished at the prospect of Prince Andrew's visit," sobbed Sheikh Bismillah Al-Raham al-Rahim, president of the All-Libyan Golf & Croquet Club, "and now the cup of happiness is dashed from our lips. May the fleas from a thousand camels infest the armpits of the Scottish Justice Secretary. I can say no more - my tears are making the microphone soggy." Readers of this forum will by now realise how serious the position is. If any of you have counselling skills, then please put them at the service of the Libyan people immediately. Alternatively, write a thousand word essay on why the non-visit of a minor royal British princeling to anywhere, let alone Libya, should occasion such angst among the UK press. But don't send it to me.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="buelligan"]Is it possible that some in power might not wish an appeal to be heard?  That they consider it "better all round" if they please the Libyans, appear to be just and compassionate, maintain the illusion that "we got the right man" and that the real culprits did not get away with it...?  I do not wish to appear cynical but I do not have much faith in the integrity of the "Justice System" (in any state, at any period of human history). [/quote]

I agree.  To RH - 8 years is probably nowhere near enough time for our legal system to hear an appeal - particularly one that wouldn't be wanted by a great number in high places.  Would leave a number of people with egg on their faces.  I join you buelligan - having seen the UK justice system up close I think I would get a fairer trial in Libya!

[/quote]

This  would have been his second appeal

The fact is that the Scottish secretary did not sight any reason of doubt over the conviction but said his decision was solely on compasionate grounds.....who else may we let out on these grounds ? .

I see that Gaddafi's son has today come out with the reason for the release as part of a "Trade deal " with the UK....This is all to do with making money..and saving face ..nothing at all about justice ... They will have agreed that denials will have to be made etc when they set it up ...The guy in Scotland who is saying he made the decision has to say that ...does he not !

What Gadaffi's son actually said was that Tony Blair, back in 2007 , brought up the subject of Megrahi when they were discussing trade deals. It was around this time that Tony also signed an agreement about prisoner exchanges between the UK and Libya . However Tony forgot that it was not up to him to release Megrahi under this exchange scheme, but the Scottish Justice Minister, who by this time was SNP.

The SNP justice secretary at that time was understandably upset at this deal and  Alex Salmond told Tony what he thought of the deal in no uncertain terms.

It should be noted that there is no love lost between Tony Blair ,some of the Labour party , and the SNP.

That was why Kenny Macaskill made a point the other day about Megrahi not being released under the prisoner exchange scheme.

Megrahi is terminally ill (unless one subscribes to a conspiracy theory that he is not) and was released on compassionate grounds, just like another 23 prisoners in Scottish jails who have been released on compassionate grounds in recent years. He applied a year ago and was turned down because his life expectency was greater than the recommended 3 months for compassionate release.

The Scottish Justice Secretary was in a no win situation , no matter what he decided., but he decided ,in my view, to show humanity and release Megrahi.

I note in today's "Telegraph" that Lt William Calley has finally apologised - after 40 years - for his part in the massacre at My Lai during the Vietnam war. For this atrocity - comparable to Lidice or Oradour - he was sentenced to life imprisonment, and then released after three years. No action was ever taken against any of the others involved. Double standards, and empty indignation from the Americans.

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.(apart from the theory that the Masons are behind the release)

It is impossible to BOIL anything in oil.[:-))]

One fries things in OIL.

One boils things in water or milk.

[/quote]

ANYTHING will BOIL when the vapour pressure of the liquid equals the pressure of the environment.

Presumably not covered in GCSE Sociology.[:D]

What about poor Barack O'bama,

The man wants to change the way his Country behaves both at home and around the world. He has inherited a corrupt system and now has to deal with the wrath of his own people so he will no doubt end up towing the line so to speak and will probably loose his way in the end.

[quote user="Braco"]An interesting article. What will never ever be discussed is who had the greatest capability to execute this crime and reap the greatest benefits (keeping their dumb puppets in line). Take a bow Mossad.[/quote]

Braco, your hard evidence rather than conspiracy theory that Mossad was involved is what and where?

[quote user="ali-cat"]

Not usually my favourite journalist - but an interesting theory :

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/robert-fisk/robert-fisk-for-the-truth-about-lockerbie-look-to-tehran-and-damascus-ndash-not-tripoli-14463453.html

Mr Cat

[/quote]

Not one shred of evidence produced ,but if one throws enough muck some of it is bound to stick.

Exactly the same as the evidence against the Libyan’s - none. I have a great admiration of the skills of Mossad and its supporters. This organisation has reduced a once great country (US) to total subservience. The US and its poodle’s invade on the pretext of WMD months after vetoing a Russian call to declare the whole of the middle east a nuclear free zone.

We are now reduced to the point that to be even considered as a candidate you have to bend the knee to AIPAC. How do you like your puppets – last years flavour was black.