Are anti-British incidents on the increase?

I have just read and found very interesting, the thread: Mon voisin est Anglais/Did you see. It leaves me with a question...

To Brits who are living in France permanently and to the Brits, like me, who go back and forth, have you noticed any greater anti-British feelings during the last year or so?

We have owned our French house for almost six years and are still trawling back and forth. For a number of reasons, as much as we want to, it is still not possible to move to France permanently...

Whilst the neighbours in our village are excellent, during the last couple of years in the nearby town of Loches, we have experienced a couple of anti-British comments aimed at us - both of which were at restaurants.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I can't recall ever receiving abuse in France that was directed at me for not being French. If anti-British comments were ever to be said to me in a restaurant (and meant, rather than said in jest), I would ask the patron whether they would prefer not to have my custom. There are lots of other restaurants.

Regards

Pickles

We have only ever received one negative in over seven years when we were asked, sarcastically, as to why were all 'you' english moving to france.

I replied with an long list of the positives culminating in the main reason that we moved -

'You can smoke in MacDonalds' -

The subject was never broached again.

Not in restaurants, which after all are seeking custom, but yes in the situations where the speaker has a job for life: getting a carte grise for an imported car, or at la Poste.

I wouldn't say that they are on the increase at the moment, but they were certainly getting more frequent five or six years back, corresponding to the wave of arrivals of  "British and Clueless" (  this phrase is not my invention alas!).

I think the feeling was expressed by Brice Hortefeux  the other day:

"When there are one or two it's OK. It's when you get a lot together that the trouble starts"

The only time we've had any adverse experience was a couple of months ago when Mrs Sunday was in hospital undergoing four weeks physiotherapy following an operation.  During lunch one day, one of the young physios made a sarcastic comment to her about Brits over here and the rest of the resident patients (all French) give the woman a right going over for being cheeky to their English mate.

Other than that, nothing.....

I think the verbal sniping is a lot more common than people appreciate. I've never had it to my face.

But, for example we speak English between us, very often my wife will turn to someone in a shop making quiet derogratory comments to someone they're with, about us, and point out she's French and understands every single word. Normally shuts them up. Comments are normally along the lines of "Why don't they stay in their own country"

Quite the opposite I would say. Our neighbours always said that they would far rather have English neighbours than Parisiens! I think that's a complement, but there again.....

I myself in the 14 years that I lived in France never heard one anti-british comment. During that time I had the oppurtunity to work within the automobile industry all over France mostly noteably Peugeot and have to say in the early days my French wasn't brilliant but not once during the design or technical meetings did they even hint that it would be much better if they could have someone French there instead. They would chew me out if the machine wasn't doing what it should of course but never the slightest derogatory remark against my nationlity and perhaps the possibilty that I had taken a job which should have gone to a French person.

The company that I worked for were in fact proud to have an English employee and their view was that it was a compliment for France that I had chosen to come and live and work in their country.

So this is a good oppertunity to thank all those long suffering production managers that patiently tried to make sense of my dodgy French in the early days.

At least one of our French neighbours and another who is Belgian are very pleased we are English. Neither can stand French people; 'uneducated, rude, don't care about looking after where they live' are common comments from them. As it happens, we get on very well with all the neighbours in our apartment block, (French, Belgian, English) apart from those (French) who make noise into the night.

GG

We did meet the deputy mayor at an event to welcome newcomers to the community when we first arrived and he was a little cold and distant. In a chat about family he asked me what my father did during the war. I replied that he was in the RAF. "Oh and who did he bomb" he asked. "Only the Boche" I replied. The change was remarkable and he was positively jolly and friendly from then on. Feelings about the war continue in the older population around here which had quite an active Maquis in the area. Another old boy, near neighbour, came round to greet us when we had been here only a few days, saying that the British had saved France during the war. So no we have not met any anti-Brit feelings, quite the reverse!.............JR

PS We always go to the local graveyard to show respect for the fallen dead on Armistice Day, something that sits well with the local community I think. Sadly only the older members of the community and the Mayor go.  

I recall being in Pujols on one occasion and being depressed by the behaviour of a large British family group ... but that is another story.

My village has a high proportion of British owned houses. On an occasion when another was "changing nationality" I asked my neighbour - the village's oldest inhabitant - if she was concerned. She replied that she was pleased, "They are keeping my village alive."

Superman wrote; [quote]I recall being in Pujols on one occasion and being depressed by the behaviour of a large British family group ... but that is another story. [/quote]

I too have never heard an anti-Brit remark but I have witnessed toe-curling rudeness on the part of some Brits in France.  For some reason, older women in particular, seem to think that broadcasting advice to their extended families (particularly regarding the cleanliness of shops and restaurants or the possibility of catching something nasty from the food) is perfectly reasonable.  Perhaps, they imagine that all French people are too ill-educated to comprehend this rudeness. In reality, I think that most are just too polite (and possibly embarrassed) to acknowledge it.

Some people are born to whinge and nationality is no boundary. Some people want a 'whipping boy' and will always pick on the more obvious person or group, like white people in Africa or black people in Europe. We are English so in France, however well you think you speak French, you are easily identifiable. There are those in France that therefore use us to vent their anger and frustration usually because we have something they don't and there is no Arab, Algerian or whoever around. Where I live they pick on the Parisians, Belgian's, Dutch and of course the English. I am sure that out of hearing range they say things about me and my family as I hear them talking about other people when I am around. The thing I do know is that after 9 years I have become 'our English' so its OK for them to talk about us but if an outsider says anything they take offence (but they are English - reply yes but their our English) which in a way I guess is complementary.

There are also bad English out there that talk very nastily about the French which makes one wonder why they are here, probably running away from something is by guess. Some of these people make me cringe, I avoid them whenever possible and feel deeply embarrassed by them.

So basically yes they do talk about us (the English) at times but not always to our face but I don't think it has got worse where I live and neither do I think it will stop. It's life, pure and simple, so I just ignore it and get on with things. Perhaps it hurts the English so much because back home its them that are usually 'dishing it out' and they think they have the monoply on such behavior and find it difficult when the boot is on the other foot so to speak.

I went to introduce myself to our mayor when we bought our house. He said jokingly - I think, as it was said with a broad smile - that he thought that England and the English were dreadful but he was very glad that the old houses in the comune were being brought back to life.

He certainly has been affable whenever I have subsequently met him.

I later found out that of the 222 households in the comune 10% were owned by the British. I had no idea when we started the purchase.

Hi,

An interesting post this one. I live in a village of 1,750 people of whom 36 are "non-French".I attend an anglo-francais conversational group each week set up by the Mairie. Absolutely fabulous! It is obvious from this group that we (the English) are actively encouraged to integrate.......and we do. We have been invited to schools and colleges to speak English to the students.

The one comment I have to make is a reversal of the anti-British incidents. When, on the few occasions I return to the UK and am tootling along the M25 in a car with French plates, some (British I assume) driver comes within millimetres of my bumper and gives me a Churchillian salute[6] shouting abuse because he believes me to be French!!

I know where I am welcomed!!

tuppence

[quote user="tuppence"]Hi,

An interesting post this one. I live in a village of 1,750 people of whom 36 are "non-French".I attend an anglo-francais conversational group each week set up by the Mairie. Absolutely fabulous! It is obvious from this group that we (the English) are actively encouraged to integrate.......and we do. We have been invited to schools and colleges to speak English to the students.
The one comment I have to make is a reversal of the anti-British incidents. When, on the few occasions I return to the UK and am tootling along the M25 in a car with French plates, some (British I assume) driver comes within millimetres of my bumper and gives me a Churchillian salute[6] shouting abuse because he believes me to be French!!

I know where I am welcomed!!
tuppence
[/quote]

Are you sure its because of your French plates ??????  [;-)]

[quote user="tuppence"]When, on the few occasions I return to the UK and am tootling along the M25 in a car with French plates, some (British I assume) driver comes within millimetres of my bumper and gives me a Churchillian salute[6] shouting abuse because he believes me to be French!!

[/quote]

Tuppence

In case you've forgotten, the UK tootling lane is the one on the left - not the right.....[:P]

I subscribe to what I don't know can't hurt me I try not to offend my neighbours and go about my business.

I am quite astonishly rude in that I have a hectic work life and simply haven't found the motivation to give up some time to learning French......Maybe this year I will get a handle on it...melts into the next.

I feel I am missing out being more involved with the French Commune where we have our home and am annoyed at myself for not getting the job done sooner.

My French report card reads 'must do better'

The thought occurred when chatting to neighbour (Read mangling the French language) that just because we are able to communicate at Amoeba level it's not good enough and I am sure they probably think (British can't even be bothered to learn the language) and if they do they are quite right I owe them better than that.

I guess it's Rossetta Stone time unless anyone has any better ideas as to how one may get a language into my thick Swede?